AS9100D, Clause 8.1 - Operational Planning and Control

CanadianQA

Starting to get Involved
Hi All,

I am in the process of implementing AS9100D and am wondering what other companies are doing to meet the requirements of 8.1 - Operational Planning and Control?

My company has been ISO 9001:2015 certified since Feb 2016. We are a manufacturer of aftermarket aircraft accessories and a maintenance provider for several rotary wing platforms.

We currently have policy / procedures manuals that define how our processes are controlled, established criteria and acceptance of our products and services as well as the other ISO related parts of this clause, but I'm not sure how to incorporate the AS requirements.

How are other companies meeting the requirements of this clause?

I appreciate any guidance that is offered.

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi All,

I am in the process of implementing AS9100D and am wondering what other companies are doing to meet the requirements of 8.1 - Operational Planning and Control?

My company has been ISO 9001:2015 certified since Feb 2016. We are a manufacturer of aftermarket aircraft accessories and a maintenance provider for several rotary wing platforms.

We currently have policy / procedures manuals that define how our processes are controlled, established criteria and acceptance of our products and services as well as the other ISO related parts of this clause, but I'm not sure how to incorporate the AS requirements.

How are other companies meeting the requirements of this standard?

I appreciate any guidance that is offered.
What is your concern or fear?

CanadianQA

Starting to get Involved
I guess I am unclear where things like:
  • personal and product safety;
  • producibility and inspectability;
  • reliability, availability, and maintainability;
  • suitability of parts and materials used in the product;
  • selection and development of embedded software;
  • product obsolescence;
  • prevention, detection, and removal of foreign objects;
  • handling, packaging, and preservation;
  • recycling or final disposal of the product at the end of its life.
need to be shown where they are considered. Is this supposed to be in the design stage? If so, why is this requirement here and not in 8.3?

As well, at what stage do the requirements of 8.1 (b)(2)(f-j) come in? Is this determined at a high level or on a job by job basis?

The AS requirements are relatively new to me and I don't have a consultant working with me, so sorry if the question is unclear or seems uninformed.

dsanabria

• product obsolescence;
need to be shown where they are considered. Is this supposed to be in the design stage? If so, why is this requirement here and not in 8.3?

As well, at what stage do the requirements of 8.1 (b)(2)(f-j) come in? Is this determined at a high level or on a job by job basis?

The AS requirements are relatively new to me and I don't have a consultant working with me, so sorry if the question is unclear or seems uninformed.
You need to breath and let's take one item at a time

Remember - the way to eat an elephant - is one bite at a time.

so - what is your first concern.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
  • product obsolescence;
Don't make this too hard. Where does YOUR company do these things? Don't reinvent a wheel to satisfy some perceived need to make things fit into tight little boxes with AS9100 labels.

I must assume, for example, for every product you consider requirements for how you produce it. When and where do you determine how you will produce it? Keep FOD out of it? Package it?

If there is something that you don't currently do -- say you have no consideration regarding FOD prevention, then you and your team can figure out when/where/how to handle this requirement.

But I'll bet you already do most of these things -- so be prepared to show someone objective evidence of such.

CanadianQA

Starting to get Involved
Yes, Ok, thanks both for the responses. (Breathing a little easier...) After having the evening to think about this, I guess my question was really related to if this all had to be done in one procedure or can it be done in many stages.

Mile S. is correct that many of the items listed in 8.1 are addressed at different stages during our design and build process, I just wasn't sure if it that met requirements.

Sorry, I feel a bit in the dark on some of the clauses of the AS standard. Since I'm not working with a consultant, you all will be getting to hear my questions!

dsanabria

Yes, Ok, thanks both for the responses. (Breathing a little easier...) After having the evening to think about this, I guess my question was really related to if this all had to be done in one procedure or can it be done in many stages.

Mile S. is correct that many of the items listed in 8.1 are addressed at different stages during our design and build process, I just wasn't sure if it that met requirements.

Sorry, I feel a bit in the dark on some of the clauses of the AS standard. Since I'm not working with a consultant, you all will be getting to hear my questions!
So - do you have a question?

CanadianQA

Starting to get Involved
Yes, as noted above, the question boiled down to if this all had to be done in one procedure or can it be done in many stages.

I'm guessing after reading Mike S. post, that as long as we can demonstrate that each of the requirements of 8.1 have been accounted for at some point, that would be Ok. Do you concur?

This can be done across many procedures. the problem we found in this clause is the first statement stating that you should plan, implement and control processes (4.4 QMS) to meet the requirements of product and service provision and those requirements of 6 (planning). Which kind of pins pretty much the whole standard!
So we set up an NPI process that considers the life cycle and ensuring stage gate sign offs have the right competencies to determine the risks and opportunities of product and process conformity, considering all aspects of potential failure modes.

So basically NPI contains
DFMEA, risk assessments, control plans, key characteristic considerations (AS9103), inspection plans and validation verification analysis (AS9102), lessons learnt logs, Design reviews, production readiness reviews, supplier approval analysis..
I doubt I have remembered it all here but my point is that everything has been considered.
Hope that helps..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K AS9100D Clause 7.5.2.a) - What is considered to be "documented information"? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
J AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
A AS9100D, Clause 8.4.1.1 - External Provider Scope of Approval AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 16
W AS9100D Clause 8.5.1.2 Validation and Control of Special Processes AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 37
D Product Safety in AS9100D Clause 8.1.3 - Hazards Analysis AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 18
B Purchasing AS9100D Standard in Japanese AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
Stefan Mundt AS9100D Major nonconformity due to recurrence of a NC during a subsequent CB audit. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
B AS9100D Sampling Plan AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
A What To Clauses Exclude - AS9100D AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
F AS9100D Internal auditing requirements Internal Auditing 3
A AS9100D FAI requirements needed? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
F AS9100D, raw material standards are a requirement for manufacturing? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
F AS9100D Process Matrix for a small cnc machine shop AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
C AS9100D -8.5.1j - Accountability For All Products Tiny Parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
B Free downloadable AS9100D audit checklist ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
T AS9100D - Scope of QMS for New Company - Only Choosing a Function Subset Due to Management AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
Nicole Desouza AS9100D - Calibration of Dies & Tooling - Plastic Extrusion AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
Q What is the difference between AS9100D 9.3.2.f and 9.3.3.a AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
S AS9100D PEAR - Examples for organization's method for determining process results? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
DuncanGibbons Why is 8.4 post-delivery activities before 8.6 release of products and services in AS9100D? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
K AS9100D 8.4.1.1 external providers question - Walmart, Home Depot, our lawn care team. etc. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 20
W Core Process Metrics AS9100D for Product Planning? Quotes and sales? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
C Taking exception to customer requirements or specifications & AS9100D AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
I AS9100D Non-conformance for 10.2.1 b 2 and 10.2.1. b 3 e and f - Corrective Action AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
M AS9100D Competence and Training Records - X-Ray AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
P Design exclusion in AS9100D for commercial products AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
N Claiming exemptions (N/A) in AS9100D - what is the methodology and location? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
M AS9100d (section 7.1.3) example of compliance in machine shop environment. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
D AS9100D implementation question AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
Y Time gap for First Surveillance Audit of AS9100D after initial certification AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
H AS9100D Cert question - Small machine shop - Where can I buy a certificate? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
M AS9100d Controlling External Provided Processes (purchasing 8.4) - The customer want us to use supplier X AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
C AS9100D 7.1.5.2 / Calibration of Employee Owned Measuring Equipment AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
A CAR from 3rd party AS9100D auditor - Root cause dilemma AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 45
Q AS9100D Corrective Action Procedure needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A What does a good business practice Process Audit look like for AS9100D? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 9
J AS9100D - Good ways to document an internal audit plan / schedule Internal Auditing 25
C AS9100D Contract Review Contract Review Process 8
J What to expect during a Change of Location Audit under AS9100D AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
L AS9100D Requirements vis-a-vis Section 8.5.1.3 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
J AS9100D Cl. 8.4.3d - The organization shall communicate to external providers... AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
J AS9100D Sections related to 1st Piece and In-Process Inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
K AS9100D - Is the PEAR required? Internal Auditing 1
M CB and Internal auditors most common nonconformities against AS9100D AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 16
D AS9100D vs AS9120B differences AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
M AS9100D Process Map Requirements - PEAR Forms AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 18
C AS9100D Flag AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
K Maintenance requirements for Production Equipment in AS9100D General Auditing Discussions 8
I Trying to explain some of the Management Review Inputs (AS9100D) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
K AS9100D production process scheduling requirements Internal Auditing 14