AS9100d Controlling External Provided Processes (purchasing 8.4) - The customer want us to use supplier X

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
What is the actual requirements for controlling external Providers? We have a customer that for one part number, which will probably never be made again, the customer want us to use supplier X. To the best of our knowledge, this will be the only time we use this vendor.

Per the standard, we have to add this vendor to the approved supplier list with monitoring and measurement controls the same as our standard vendors.

I was thinking we may be able to use this vendor once with a document from our customer that states to use "vendor x" using 8.4.1.1b and give the scope for 'this part once only', does this seem reasonable? After the parts are processed and returned to us, the vendor would then be removed from our AVL.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
What is the actual requirements for controlling external Providers? We have a customer that for one part number, which will probably never be made again, the customer want us to use supplier X. To the best of our knowledge, this will be the only time we use this vendor.

Per the standard, we have to add this vendor to the approved supplier list with monitoring and measurement controls the same as our standard vendors.

I was thinking we may be able to use this vendor once with a document from our customer that states to use "vendor x" using 8.4.1.1b and give the scope for 'this part once only', does this seem reasonable? After the parts are processed and returned to us, the vendor would then be removed from our AVL.
You determine the controls. You may want to control this "one time" supplier by performing inspection of the received material.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions

Go to your procedure and make a statement that one time purchase from suppliers will be allow before placing them in the approved supplier list. Then explain that product from this supplier will be verified for customer requirements and your requirements.

This is done so that in the future, you know wht to do for a single - one time purchase without adding and deleting suppliers all the time.

Kokolita

Starting to get Involved
Thanks Michael,
I am totally new to this and that's what I thought as well. He is not a new auditor. I'm guessing many different people have many different interpretations on what they read. UGH.

Top Bottom