AS9100D Process Matrix for a small cnc machine shop

Hello, I am in charge of implementation of the AS9100D QMS for our small (4 employee) cnc machine shop. I've managed to create a decent system and we've secured an accreditation agency to perform our audits. We paid to have them come out and do a preassessment (before the stage 1 and 2 audits) and, while I still have a lot of things to work on, I feel confident we'll get certification.

One area I'd like a little help on is our process matrix. The auditor explained that we have far too many processes listed and that could be an issue for how small we are, so keeping things simple will be better. I couldn't agree more! We do cnc machining, no design work, and being as tiny as we are, i've broken the processes down into the following areas:

Quality and Management (per the auditor, these would not be "controlled" processes.
Sales, purchasing, manufacturing (these would be controlled processes.

Now finally to my questions:

1. We were instructed that all processes must have inputs and outputs, and that typically the output of one process will be the input of another. I'm struggling a bit to come up with these inputs/outputs and i'm not sure specifically where in the standard it asks that we have these written down. If anyone can shed clarity on how i might document the inputs/outputs for these processes, and what (if anything) we should do to track them, i'd appreciate it. Currently we track a large amount of metrics, the core of which are quality, on time delivery, and customer satisfaction.

2. In regards to the 5 processes I outlined above, is it a requirement of the standard that we have those in chart-form available in our QMS manual, or other supporting documents? I've used google to find a few process matrices for other companies, but many are larger and with many more processes listed. Thus it gets a bit confusing figuring out how to format this type of chart to be simple, straightforward, and beneficial to someone reading it. I'll be doing a bit more reading through my AS9100d standard later tonight to try to clarify processes and inputs/outputs but i'll be thankful for any support on this subject I get here.

I'll also attach the very rough beginning of a chart I quickly threw together to help organize those 5 processes we want in our QMS. Does this look to be on the right track, and if so, should I add the inputs/outputs here (possibly with interconnecting arrows?)

Thank you again.

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
The auditor explained that we have far too many processes listed and that could be an issue for how small we are, so keeping things simple will be better.
The real reason for the auditor's comment is this: The more "processes" you list in your QMS, the more PEAR forms s/he will have to fill out. So, they want you to have a minimalist approach to the number of listed processes, not for your benefit; but theirs.

Good luck.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Sales, purchasing, manufacturing (these would be controlled processes.

Now finally to my questions:

1. We were instructed that all processes must have inputs and outputs, and that typically the output of one process will be the input of another. I'm struggling a bit to come up with these inputs/outputs and i'm not sure specifically where in the standard it asks that we have these written down. If anyone can shed clarity on how i might document the inputs/outputs for these processes, and what (if anything) we should do to track them, i'd appreciate it. Currently we track a large amount of metrics, the core of which are quality, on time delivery, and customer satisfaction.
For example, the input on sales can be "Customer PO" and/or "Customer Request for quote". Because I was taught this way, I use a turtle diagram (see attached). You are not required to use the turtle diagram regardless of what your auditor says, I have them so I use them, They help to answer several questions.

Attachments

Big Jim

Super Moderator
The real reason for the auditor's comment is this: The more "processes" you list in your QMS, the more PEAR forms s/he will have to fill out. So, they want you to have a minimalist approach to the number of listed processes, not for your benefit; but theirs.

Good luck.
Amusingly AS auditors seemed to encourage complex IOPs until they had to complete a PEAR for each process.

Thank you for the assistance, I appreciate it! Another question that I have (still plugging away at all my notes here) is in regards to as9100d 7.1.3 - Infrastructure. The auditor noted that while we have preventative maintenance for our CNC machines, we are lacking on the other items in our shop, and noted back to 7.1.3. He was saying we need to have plans for all infrastructure. The things i wrote down from him were "forklift, band saw, air compressor, lights, heat, electricity, fire extinguishers, etc."

But reading back over 7.1.3, it just says 'the organization shall determine, provide, and maintain the infrastructure necessary for the operation...' Does this mean i need to create another policy to address how we handle infrastructure, or add something to our preventative maintenance document? We are really trying to keep things simple due to our shop size. Most of these, very honestly, just boil down to: if one of these things has an issue, we will call and have someone come fix it asap.

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Your auditor is wrong. There is no requirement to create a maintenance procedure or keep maintenance records unless you determine you need to. You are reading the standard correctly and you need to confront the auditor and if he won't back down call his registrar and ask for them to get involved.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S AS9100D PEAR - Examples for organization's method for determining process results? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
W Core Process Metrics AS9100D for Product Planning? Quotes and sales? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A What does a good business practice Process Audit look like for AS9100D? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 9
J AS9100D Sections related to 1st Piece and In-Process Inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
M AS9100D Process Map Requirements - PEAR Forms AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
K AS9100D production process scheduling requirements Internal Auditing 14
R AS9100D Internal Audit Process Checklists ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A AS9100D 8.1.4 Prevention of Counterfeit Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
DuncanGibbons Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
B Purchasing AS9100D Standard in Japanese AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Stefan Mundt AS9100D Major nonconformity due to recurrence of a NC during a subsequent CB audit. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B AS9100D Sampling Plan AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A What To Clauses Exclude - AS9100D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
F AS9100D Internal auditing requirements Internal Auditing 11
A AS9100D FAI requirements needed? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
F AS9100D, raw material standards are a requirement for manufacturing? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C AS9100D -8.5.1j - Accountability For All Products Tiny Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B Free downloadable AS9100D audit checklist ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
K AS9100D Clause 7.5.2.a) - What is considered to be "documented information"? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T AS9100D - Scope of QMS for New Company - Only Choosing a Function Subset Due to Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
Nicole Desouza AS9100D - Calibration of Dies & Tooling - Plastic Extrusion AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Q What is the difference between AS9100D 9.3.2.f and 9.3.3.a AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
DuncanGibbons Why is 8.4 post-delivery activities before 8.6 release of products and services in AS9100D? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K AS9100D 8.4.1.1 external providers question - Walmart, Home Depot, our lawn care team. etc. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
C Taking exception to customer requirements or specifications & AS9100D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
I AS9100D Non-conformance for 10.2.1 b 2 and 10.2.1. b 3 e and f - Corrective Action AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
M AS9100D Competence and Training Records - X-Ray AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
P Design exclusion in AS9100D for commercial products AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
N Claiming exemptions (N/A) in AS9100D - what is the methodology and location? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
M AS9100d (section 7.1.3) example of compliance in machine shop environment. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D AS9100D implementation question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
Y Time gap for First Surveillance Audit of AS9100D after initial certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
H AS9100D Cert question - Small machine shop - Where can I buy a certificate? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M AS9100d Controlling External Provided Processes (purchasing 8.4) - The customer want us to use supplier X AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
C AS9100D 7.1.5.2 / Calibration of Employee Owned Measuring Equipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A CAR from 3rd party AS9100D auditor - Root cause dilemma AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 45
Q AS9100D Corrective Action Procedure needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J AS9100D - Good ways to document an internal audit plan / schedule Internal Auditing 25
C AS9100D, Clause 8.1 - Operational Planning and Control AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
C AS9100D Contract Review Contract Review Process 8
J What to expect during a Change of Location Audit under AS9100D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L AS9100D Requirements vis-a-vis Section 8.5.1.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J AS9100D Cl. 8.4.3d - The organization shall communicate to external providers... AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
K AS9100D - Is the PEAR required? Internal Auditing 1
M CB and Internal auditors most common nonconformities against AS9100D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
D AS9100D vs AS9120B differences AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
C AS9100D Flag AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
K Maintenance requirements for Production Equipment in AS9100D General Auditing Discussions 8
I Trying to explain some of the Management Review Inputs (AS9100D) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10