AS9100d (section 7.1.3) example of compliance in machine shop environment.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
It has been about 2-3 months since we got our AS9100d certification. I am reviewing some of the requirements and issues we had during our audit. One of the issues was 7.1.3 infrastructure. I am not overly happy with our system as I don't think it really accomplishes the intent but gives paperwork to show we are doing something.

What are other people doing to show compliance with 7.1.3, how do you prove compliance? Our system could be improved upon and I would like to know what others are doing since I created the system we currently use and I have a hard time 'thinking outside the box', or I am over thinking the requirement and putting too much into place.

Thank you in advance.

QA Nick

Registered
We kept it simple with regards to 7.1.3:
1. Preventative maintenance schedule for buildings and key equipment
2. EHS committee overseeing social, psychological, and physical factors that may affect our employees

For reference, we are a small company with less than 20 employees (including a small machine shop). I have yet to have gone through an audit with this new company, but previous audits have gone well.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
We also use a preventive maintenance schedule for our machines and measuring equipment. That covers most of what is actually needed. We also have regularly scheduled shop meetings for our own needs outside QMS requirements, with templates and sign-ins. They include communication and feedback opportunities. But the bulk of it for us, CNC machining, is covered in our preventive maintenance schedules.

We have an IT contractor and do include some language in our QMS concerning how backups are handled and a couple other things. We don't include shippers in our AVL, but if we ever felt the need to include them somewhere it would probably be in the AVL.

Big Jim

Admin
Keep in mind that AS9100D (and ISO 9001:2015) does not require maintenance records. If your internal procedures require maintenance records then they need to be kept and an auditor is in his rights to review them.

That said, you are required to maintain the infrastructure. You just don't need to keep a record of it. Many companies would not want to run their company without preventive maintenance records, but it is their choice, not a requirement of the standard.

Top Bottom