AS9102 Aerospace First Article Requirements

S

SJAQM

Hi All,

Not sure if this has been addressed elsewhere on the forum but here goes...

AS9102B (3.10: A planned, complete, independent, and documented inspection and verification...)

Given that the standard states independent which department within an organisation should have ownership of FAIR?
Currently, our organisation is defined at a top level as:

Engineering
Finance
Operations
Quality

Engineering currently perform FAIR however, given that Engineering essentially configure the product to the point of FAIR can they still do this given the independent statement in the standard?

Thanks in advance,

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Engineering currently perform FAIR however, given that Engineering essentially configure the product to the point of FAIR can they still do this given the independent statement in the standard?

Generally speaking, Engineering can IF the measuring group isn't the same people as those who 'configure' the part.
Quality is traditionally the dept. who performs the first article testing. So you might want to ask your supplier quality rep on how they interpret the requirement.

I also vaguely seem to remember that the person who performs the measurements and completes the report must be a certified inspector? I could be wrong on this as it has been awhile since I was in Aerospace...

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Hi All,

AS9102B (3.10: A planned, complete, independent, and documented inspection and verification...)

Given that the standard states independent which department within an organisation should have ownership of FAIR?

In this case, they are not looking for independent departments, more independent people. If person A makes the part, they want someone other than person A to perform the FAIR. It can be within the same department.

In our case (where I work) Quality is responsible for FAIR's, both creating and maintaining.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi All,

Currently, our organisation is defined at a top level as:

Engineering
Finance
Operations
Quality

Thanks in advance,

Independent = Individual not involved in making the product

Independent = Individual that completes the required forms (Form 1, 2 & 3) and pertinent documents to include Prints, cert and pictures (if required).

Hope this helps..

M

Mr. K

I have a question regarding some of the answers above.

How do you know that the usage of the descriptor, 'independent', means that the FAI shall be performed by a person that wasn't involved with its design?

Couldn't 'independent' simply mean that the FAI is supposed to be considered an independent procedure? That is, a procedure independent from any other inspection and verification operations?

Is there something somewhere else in the spec that confirms that an independent party must perform the FAI?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
The term independent in the quoted requirement above is and has been interpreted to be an independent person not just a procedure. An independent document doesn't ensure independence of the inspection. The standard - and the auditors and your supplier quality rep - is looking for an independent inspection; that means people.

Top Bottom