AS9102 COTS Form 1 vs. 2

bguarino

Starting to get Involved
I understand Form 1 is for unmodified, purchased COTS items to be reported, and Form 2 is for modified COTS items.

Please advise if this is correct,

Form 1: purchased 4-40 screw installed into assembly?
Form 2: raw plastic molded into the shape of a part or raw foam die cut?

A little harder...

Form 2: list a purchased blank label, but the FAI report is for the printed label version? report on form 2 or form 1?

Eredhel

Quality Manager
I might be misunderstanding your question. But form 1 is for the part number and its related information, form 2 is for that part's material, special processes, and testings information, and form 3 is for dimensional inspection information. Or do you mean something different?

bguarino

Starting to get Involved
I might be misunderstanding your question. But form 1 is for the part number and its related information, form 2 is for that part's material, special processes, and testings information, and form 3 is for dimensional inspection information. Or do you mean something different?

Yes a little different. For either an assembly or a component...if you look at the AS9102 FAQ guide from IAQG section C

C. Standard Catalogue and Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) Items
C1. Question:
Where is Standard Catalogue and Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) Items entered on the First Article Inspection Report (FAIR)?
C1. Response:
Standard Catalogue and Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) Items, when used as purchased, are entered on form 1. If Standard Catalogue or Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) Items (e.g., AN, MS fasteners) are modified, then list that Standard Catalogue or Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) Items on form 2, field 6.
C2. Question:
Are COTS and Standard Catalogue Item C of C required with a FAIR, for items recorded on Form 1?
C2. Answer:
The standard requires that non-modified Standard Catalogue Items and Commercial-Off-The-Self items are listed on form 1 of the FAI. Field 18 is for the FAIR number and does not require the CofC number to be recorded in this field. Since no CofC number is required to be documented on form 1 of the FAI, the CofC would not be required for supporting documentation.

So COTS items can be listed on either form 1 field 15-18 or Form 2, field 6.

My question goes to what defines "modified" in terms of modified COTS item? For example we have a printed label with 2 parts on the BOM- ink + label.

Is taking the purchased COTS label and printing ink on it considered modifying it? Should the purchased COTS label then be listed on Form 2? And the ink is listed on Form 1?

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
How are you controlling the modification of the COTS part? Do you have a drawing or other document stating what to do? If the answer is yes, you should have a separate FAI done against the drawing for that part.

bguarino

Starting to get Involved
If you consider a printed label a modified COTS item...then yes in this case the label has its own drawing and its own report. Question is where does the raw COTS label material go? Form 1 or 2?

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hopefully I'm understanding the scenario you are describing. Here's what I'm seeing and how I have addressed this in the past.

There is a printed label that is controlled by a drawing/part number. The material used for that label is a COTS label (Dymo, Avery or whoever). I would do an FAI against the part and callout the COTS label on Form 1 under the parts list. Include the 15. Part Number and 16. Part Name. for 17. Part Serial Number that would be "N/A". Then for 18. FAI Report Number I specify the purchase order number the COTS part was bought on. This provides traceability back to who it was purchased from and depending where it was bought, there might also be a certificate of compliance along with the purchase order.

That's the way I've been doing similar items. I do see though that there is more than one way to do FAIs and I'm sure others here would support putting the COTS label callout on Form 2. In my mindset when I am looking at the "Material" on Form 2, I'm thinking items like metal and plastics which are processed to a specification. That's where 6. Specification Number would kick in.

I hope this helps. The biggest thing is that you understand and are comfortable on how you address this in your system so that you can defend your process when outside sources say you did it "wrong".

Top Bottom