AS9102 FAI with No Drawings Supplied

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
My customer is requiring that an FAI be done on a circuit card assembly and the bare printed wiring board. Okay, except there isn't a released drawing / bill of material. The only information is in the Gerber file for the board/assembly.

Kind of hard to include the drawing number and drawing revision on the AS9102 forms when that doesn't exist. I am pushing back to the customer as I have this feeling that their buyer just slapped the FAI requirement on this order not realizing that this was more of laboratory build.

Looking for some feedback here - Can a legitimate FAI be completed where a drawing does not exist?

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
My customer is requiring that an FAI be done on a circuit card assembly and the bare printed wiring board. Okay, except there isn't a released drawing / bill of material. The only information is in the Gerber file for the board/assembly.

Kind of hard to include the drawing number and drawing revision on the AS9102 forms when that doesn't exist. I am pushing back to the customer as I have this feeling that their buyer just slapped the FAI requirement on this order not realizing that this was more of laboratory build.

Looking for some feedback here - Can a legitimate FAI be completed where a drawing does not exist?

Unless you have defined requirements to measure against it would be hard to do a layout. The Gerber file won't have any tolerances or key characteristics identified. You could verify that you have the specified components located roughly where they should be, but I don't think that's what they really want. I would push back (as you said you are doing) with a list of all the requirements that you need to have defined by the customer before you can do a valid FAI. They may just decide it's not worth it at this point.

Top Bottom