AS9102 Paragraph 5.3-5 - Lapse in Production - FAI Requirements

WCHorn

Rubber, Too Glamorous?
Trusted
Paragraph 5.3-5 of AS9102 requires the organization to complete a full FAI when there has been a lapse of production for two years. Please consider the following scenario.

The organization makes products in 2010 and has a customer-approved FAIR on record. Product was subsequently manufactured for another order in 2011; there was an overrun that was stored in finished goods inventory. In 2014, the customer orders the part number. The organization is ready to supply product from finished goods but more than two years have lapsed in production. Can the product be shipped without a full FAI since the product was manufactured in the two year window that existed at the time of manufacture? The product does not exceed shelf life requirements and the customer has not revised the drawing or associated specifications.

Re: AS9102, Lapse in Production

We ship parts that have been sitting in 'stock' that were manufactured within the 2 year window but are now outside the time frame. We have the ability to prove (certifications, computer system, etc) that the parts were in fact manufactured years before.

In some cases, we have parts sitting in deburr (not finished) and a few years go by. In this case, to be safe, I will make a new FAIR as the parts were not finished going through all manufacturing steps within the time frame.

S

silentrunning

Your customer will be the one that will have to answer that question. I have had customers go both ways. We often run stocks on military parts and sometimes they set more than the 2 year maximum. Some customers will let me ship with copies of the old FAIR and some want all new documentation.

P

PaulJSmith

Yep, ask your customer. You should be able to ship, so long as you can document the production during that window. If they ask for a new one, though, you just do a new one. That's how it goes.

WCHorn

Rubber, Too Glamorous?
Trusted
Your customer will be the one that will have to answer that question.
Yep, ask your customer.
Thanks for your responses. If I have to ask the customer, then it seems AS9102 needs a bit of clarification, since this situation probably occurs frequently for specially designed consumables.

The customer said "no FAIR required" in this circumstance, which I believe is the logical response.

I'm not an AS guru, but the term "production" seems to be operative here. If you ship parts from stock, you still have the lapse in production.

What if you did the FAI on the in stock parts. Then started production 6 months later. If you use the FAI from the stock parts to cover your lapse, you could miss something from the new production run. Seems to me, you want to verify the new production after sitting for years to makes sure it is still working.

I'm not an AS guru, but the term "production" seems to be operative here. If you ship parts from stock, you still have the lapse in production.

What if you did the FAI on the in stock parts. Then started production 6 months later. If you use the FAI from the stock parts to cover your lapse, you could miss something from the new production run. Seems to me, you want to verify the new production after sitting for years to makes sure it is still working.
AS9102 FAIR is different than in process inspection. Technically speaking the AS9102 FAIR only applies to a single part as that is really all your measuring for the FAIR.

J

Jimw1954

I've always interpreted this to mean that any NEW production that is done with more than a 2 year lapse since the LAST production will require a new FAI. I don't see why you would need a new FAI for stock that you have already performed an FAI on previously. You can, at your discretion, perform one to verify the stock. I've always considered that the purpose of the FAI is to verify you have the capability to meet all print requirements. Of course, the customer has the final word, but I've never had a customer ask for a new FAI on parts they already have one on.

R

Rob1899

I agree with the others, it really depends on your customer. In my experience, our customers require a new FAIR if a new production run has happened outside the 2 year window. We have parts in stock that were ran 3-4 years ago that have a valid FAIR corresponding to the lot of parts in stock and our customers will accept that first article as there was no new production run and the traceability is there.

We have a large Aerospace customer that finally allowed us to mfr. parts and ship "without" a FAIR per AS9102 providing a) the same Customer revision is in effect as last time ; same tooling was used and b) We have not had any internal process revisions to the particular part number in question. Granted for the most part we use either "hard tooling" or a laser cutting program.

Top Bottom