AS9102C Full or Partial FAI Requirements

Eximius2286

Starting to get Involved
Hey Guys,

I have another question regarding AS9102 Rev C and I'm hoping you might have some guidance for me.

Our customer's Bill of Materials call out for a manufacturer and part number. Some manufacturers will allow us to buy direct, but we mostly procure through authorized distributors. If we procure a part number from Distributor A for the full FAI build, but on the next build procure that same part number from a different Distributor B, would that be considered a change that requires a partial FAI to be submitted?

Also, we have multiples of the same equipment in house that are all calibrated to the same standards. If we use Machine A to strip a wire for the full FAI build, but on the next build use Machine B to strip a wire, would that be considered a change that requires a partial FAI? Both Machine A and B are the same manufacturer and model.

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
From memory (it has been a few years since I was required to work under AS9102):

If you get a new part from a new distributor and it has a requirement for AS9102 (it should require a FAIR), then yes it will require a partial FAIR (updated to include the new FAIR). I am working under the idea that it is an assembly so only the specific part of the assembly and page 1 would need to be updated.

I never worried about having multiple equipment run the same job within the same facility so long as you know both are giving the same results. I have 'heard' that running a part on a different machine was something that required a new FAIR, but I never got any official answer.

Again, it has been a few years since I read AS9102.

Eximius2286

Starting to get Involved
From memory (it has been a few years since I was required to work under AS9102):

If you get a new part from a new distributor and it has a requirement for AS9102 (it should require a FAIR), then yes it will require a partial FAIR (updated to include the new FAIR). I am working under the idea that it is an assembly so only the specific part of the assembly and page 1 would need to be updated.

I never worried about having multiple equipment run the same job within the same facility so long as you know both are giving the same results. I have 'heard' that running a part on a different machine was something that required a new FAIR, but I never got any official answer.

Again, it has been a few years since I read AS9102.

It amazes me that the standard would require a partial FAI for a COTS part sourced from a different OEM authorized distributor. I work in the electronics industry and the sourcing changes frequently based on availability, pricing and other factors. If the part is sourced through a manufacturer authorized distributor, where is the risk? and how would a full/partial FAI be warranted?

John Predmore

on the next build procure that same part number from a different Distributor B, would that be considered a change
A part which is procured from a distributor is typically a Commercial Off-the-Shelf item. The distributor may do nothing to the part except store it and possibly repackage the part when sold. In the case of COTS parts, your FAIR responsibility may be limited to ensure the part(s) you purchase are in agreement to the specification set by the design authority. The design specification may restrict purchase to a single manufacturer and particular part number (where risk is high and an exact make/model was validated), or an industry standard (the standard provides sufficient assurance and traceability as far as risk), or a more generic designation (for lower risk components).

Of course, the ASD industry is highly focused on avoiding counterfeit or sub-grade components, especially on electronic parts. Your customer's quality department would have the final say on FAI questions.

Last edited:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
I would not do a new FAIR for the first example - change of source (authorized distributors).

If the "team" of your people referenced in 4.6b determines there is no need for a new FAIR in the wire strip example, then you don't need to do another (assuming the customer's requirements don't supersede AS9102).

Top Bottom