AS9138 Sample Size Determination

Capybara

Starting to get Involved
Here's my situation. Customer requirements call for sampling under AS9138 Table A1, which I understand to describe 1 minus the IRR, per my reading of § 4.4.2(e).

No AQL is mentioned in the customer requirements.

AS9138 refers me to the tables in SCMH § 3.7.4 for sample sizes. Those tables are based on AQL, rather than IRR. So I'm off to look for a conversion table.

I find the IAQG's AS9138 FAQ. FAQ #20 provides an AQL to IRR conversion table, but warns "This conversion process does not work backwards. If a specification has given an IRR, it is important not to use an AQL method to replace it."

I am thus at a loss to get from AS9138 Table A1 to the appropriate sample size table in in SCMH § 3.7.4.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Big Jim

Super Moderator
You should point that descreptancy out to your customer and ask for guidance. They should fix it, but often things like this are ignored. Put it on their shoulders and keep a record of it including any additional communication about it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Sample Procedure from Contract Manufacturer Prospective ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
D Adding a Class I to a sample box Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
P Unrealistic Packaging Validation Sample Size 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
M ISO 9001:2015 case study sample ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Sample of Nonconformity report for ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Sample Agreement available for Outsourcing Medical Device Design activity? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Control chart and sample time Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Control chart for huge sample size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
D How to list multi-product sample pack in GUDID 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Is there a standard for sample size during R&D phase Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 18
M Minitab assistant: 1-Sample % Defective Test Using Minitab Software 1
J Sample size definition in an Automotive SMT pilot lot run Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
T ISO 27001 sample audit report IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
B IATF 16949 - Is a Deviation required for sample components in a prototype build? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
T Sample of 1st Article Inspection Report wanted APQP and PPAP 3
E Correct way to certify hydrostatic testing when it is not 100% (and Sample Size) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
N Design Verification & Process Validation - Statistical sample sizes Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
B Determining sample size for device sterility Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A In which EU countries would it be okay to use sample labels for registration? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
D Determining of sample size for 'Operational Qualification' AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
F Bayes Success run Theorem for sample size during OQ&PQ Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
Watchcat Identification of Test Sample in Test Reports? Design and Development of Products and Processes 22
M AQL table - I need to sample 1250pcs AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
K The correct way of doing a 2 Sample T test Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
I Device modifications - Clinical sample size rationale EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Informational How to perform a clinical evaluation of medical devices – Part 1 – Overview and sample of activities Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M SOP Sample for BC/ISO22301 (Business Continuity) wanted Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 4
J Sample size for creating a data base as a reference to a tested variable Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
R Medical Device Design verification sample prototype Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 14
J ISO 17025 - Please share a sample procedure for monitoring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
M Inputs on definition of very similar processes for multi site audit sample - IAF MD1 2018 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Qyu Autoclave and Sample Container - Pressure-steam cooking's effect Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
J ISO 13485:2016 sample exam/test ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M EU IVD Risk Determination of sample collection EU Medical Device Regulations 0
T Sample Size for Design Validation Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
K Small Sample - Lower Limit Probability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
S Can anybody share a sample risk assessment prepared based on ISO 17025:2017? ISO 17025 related Discussions 15
V Acceptable maximum RSD (relative standard deviation) for an sample size Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
E Sample size for design verification of variable in single use device Design and Development of Products and Processes 19
R Sample size for clinical validation/investigation EU Medical Device Regulations 4
I MDD Class I software technical documentation sample EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Process Validation sample size selection Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
J Interesting Discussion Sample Size Determination for Medical Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 9
S Calibration vs "Golden Part" ("Control Sample") General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
P Is it possible to make an educated decision using a very very small sample size? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
S 13485:2016 procedure sample ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
F Sample Size for Biocompatibility Tests Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
V Firmware Verification Testing & Sample Size Software Quality Assurance 1
N Where I can find an Excel sample/template for recording Delivery Time and Cost Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2