[ASK] API Q1 Ninth Edition, Section 5.4.5

Hello guys,

Probably someone here has expertise on API Q1.
I have one question that still confusing me at long time after i read section 5.4.5 API Q1 of Ninth Edition.

At this section mentioned Design verification & Final Review,
"to ensure that the design and development outputs have met the design and development input requirements, design and development verification and a final review shall be conducted and documented"

what i confuse is the term is separated by "and", verification and final review, does it mean this section explaining there is two thing need to do ? not one ? due as in my first comprehension this section asked us to do only 1 thing, just design verification, comparing requirement in plan with our design in output, no more.

If yes, verification and final review is two different things, then what is the difference ?

Highly appreciated to someone that may give me an enlightenment about this.

Again, many thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

jmech

Trusted Information Resource
The requirements for verification and final review in Q1 9th Edition 5.4.5 appear to be the results of awkwardly merging requirements previously in separate sections (Q1 8th Edition 7.3.4.1 and 7.3.5). In my experience, API auditors have checked that this was completed but did not go into great detail on whether verification and final review were performed together or separately.

The design verification (see definition in 3.1.10) and final review do not need to be conducted as completely separate activities, but they may be.

For example, one engineer may perform alternative calculations to confirm the accuracy of design results - this is a verification activity per the note in 3.1.10. Multiple verification activities may be appropriate for a single design, depending on the design complexity. A senior engineer or a group of engineers may review the results of the design and verification activities (such as the original and alternative calculations) as part of a final review.

For a simple design in a small organization, the design verification and final review could be completed as a combined activity by one engineer, as long as this meets the vague requirement in 5.4.4 that "Participants in such review(s) shall include representatives of functions concerned with the design and development stage(s) being reviewed."

The requirements for verification and final review in Q1 9th Edition 5.4.5 appear to be the results of awkwardly merging requirements previously in separate sections (Q1 8th Edition 7.3.4.1 and 7.3.5). In my experience, API auditors have checked that this was completed but did not go into great detail on whether verification and final review were performed together or separately.

The design verification (see definition in 3.1.10) and final review do not need to be conducted as completely separate activities, but they may be.

For example, one engineer may perform alternative calculations to confirm the accuracy of design results - this is a verification activity per the note in 3.1.10. Multiple verification activities may be appropriate for a single design, depending on the design complexity. A senior engineer or a group of engineers may review the results of the design and verification activities (such as the original and alternative calculations) as part of a final review.

For a simple design in a small organization, the design verification and final review could be completed as a combined activity by one engineer, as long as this meets the vague requirement in 5.4.4 that "Participants in such review(s) shall include representatives of functions concerned with the design and development stage(s) being reviewed."
Very clear explanation sir, i really thanks to you.
So Design verification & Final Review may done in combined.

Design verification as 3.1.10 are one or more :

2.JPG

Then the final review in simple means is a proof that my superior has reviewed my design verification then as objective evidence get their signature in verification sheet right ?

Btw, is you or anyone here having sample of Design Verification & Final Review sheet ? i already searched in this forum and got nothing sir, very thanks if you have the example so i may compare with ours due we want to face the audit.

Additionally, i read again API Q1 ninth edition, and realized there is one statement pertaining with Final Review in section 5.4.1 Design and Development Planning, which in point e). The requirement for final review of the design (see 5.4.5).

1.JPG

Does it means, we have to list what things in Design Plan sheet that needed to review in Design Verification & Final Review ?

Before many thanks sir.

jmech

Trusted Information Resource
Then the final review in simple means is a proof that my superior has reviewed my design verification then as objective evidence get their signature in verification sheet right ?
It can be as simple as that. In my experience, this has been enough.

Btw, is you or anyone here having sample of Design Verification & Final Review sheet ? i already searched in this forum and got nothing sir, very thanks if you have the example so i may compare with ours due we want to face the audit.
I'm not able to share one. As long as you cover the requirements in Q1, you should be fine. If you share yours, others might provide you with feedback.

Does it means, we have to list what things in Design Plan sheet that needed to review in Design Verification & Final Review ?
No. Your design procedure must identify the requirements for final review (i.e. "The final design must be reviewed"), not the contents of the review (i.e. "The final design review must include review of alternate calculations."). You can add more detail about the contents of the review, but then you open yourself up to a nonconformance if you do something different that would otherwise meet Q1 but doesn't meet your procedure.

I'm not able to share one. As long as you cover the requirements in Q1, you should be fine. If you share yours, others might provide you with feedback.
Please find attacment for the sample sir, what your opinion about this format ? do this format not covered for final review as API Q1 regulation ?

Before many thanks

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Same parts but new customer - What will the auditor ask me? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A EC declaration of conformity - In the event clients ask for a copy CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
Ed Panek Website to ask FDA for guidance in Medical Device Industry? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
G Auditor watching tech do procedure - Can tech ask questions? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
O Reinstating a disqualified supplier—questions to ask before making a decision Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
Q New Casting Supplier System Assessment - What technical questions to ask? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
E Ask for supplier control procedure which conforms to IATF16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
S What questions to ask in annual supplier evaluation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Marc Some Questions an Auditor may Ask General Auditing Discussions 0
A Is normal for FORD EU ask for the PSW every year APQP and PPAP 5
L Auditing Top Management - Meeting Competency Requirements and Questions to Ask General Auditing Discussions 11
M Supplier Nonconformances - Key Points to ask a Metal Stamping Supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
G New to Internal Auditing - Best questions to ask? Internal Auditing 17
M Is SPC required for Production if a Customer does not ask for it? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
K Almost embarrassed to ask... SPC UCL/Data Range Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
T Who should provide information I ask for? Internal Audit question Internal Auditing 4
R What questions should I ask during Internal Audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Sidney Vianna IAQG AS9100C Auditor Guidance Material - What to look for ? What to ask AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
E What kind of questions will you ask on a quality quiz? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
K Are these questions approriate to ask in an interview? Career and Occupation Discussions 11
E Interview Questions to ask a Job Applicant on a Second Interview Career and Occupation Discussions 1
L Top Management - Internal Audit Questions to Ask Internal Auditing 17
sagai Why never to ask favours from the designers Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 8
ScottK Just Changed Jobs - Ask me anything Career and Occupation Discussions 29
A Questions that auditor may ask during the certification or 2nd stage audit. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
A Final ISO 9001 Audit - What questions will they ask - Help and advice needed General Auditing Discussions 11
L Questions to ask a New Registrar TS 16949 Auditor Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
A Toyota may ask for $2 billion in loans World News 0
T How to ask probing questions during Audits..? General Auditing Discussions 34
W U.S. Auto Suppliers Ask Treasury for $25.5 Billion Bailout World News 0
T What would the FDA expect to see when they ask for our QSR? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 20
BradM Sometimes you just ask - Why, Why, Why? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 13
P Quality Supervisor Interview - Questions to Ask Career and Occupation Discussions 2
E [Ask] Original Equipment Manufacturing/Manufacturer Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
K TS 16949 Calibration System Audit - What questions will they ask me? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
P Internal PPAP Audit - What should I ask? Plastic parts (automotive) TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B Tips on Technical Things the Auditors might ask during an Audit General Auditing Discussions 15
A Does auditor have conflict of interest? Should we ask for different auditor? Registrars and Notified Bodies 12
S How to ask Leave from your Boss !! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
ScottK Remember Auditors - It's all in how you ask the question! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
ScottK Do people ask for raises anymore? Career and Occupation Discussions 5
S Trainees backing out when it comes to delivery - fair to ask for commitment letter? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 38
SteelMaiden Watch what you ask for at breakfast Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 3
L Audit Logs - What do you do when registrars ask for them? General Auditing Discussions 10
Jim Wynne An awful lot of money for a doorstop, if you ask me Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 20
A Internal Quality Audit - Can I follow the Auditors and Ask Questions? Internal Auditing 11
A Does your Registrar ask folks "Who's the Management Representative"? General Auditing Discussions 58
W Health Care Business QA - What Q's to ask? Service Industry Specific Topics 1
B How can I ask a customer not to issue CARs for trivial issues? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 17