SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Asking an Auditor's Advice on different systems at different laboratories

C

crendfrey

Greetings all,
I am thanking you all now in advance for helping me through what is coming next for me. I am also begging forgiveness for the long winded questions and explanations.
The Story:
My employer in his infinite wisdom has purchased another calibration lab which effectively doubles the size of my company. (job security for me)
This company was at one time 17025 accredited by a not so reputable AB.
I was hoping to have site specific accreditation by March 2008.
No such luck.
In order to keep a very large customer, who is willing to use some of the work a rounds I seem to have pulled out of my hat, requires accreditation sooner.
They will accept scheduling for accreditation in 90 days. Full accreditation by no later than Feb. 1st.
Its not that the system is a mess, it is just there seems to be no rational system at all.:mg:
I have decided to impose our existing system on them. I feel I am unable to administer 2 different systems in now 5 states.
My first hot issue is traceable certificates for calibration standards.
All standards must be certified by State labs in order to comply with various state weights and measures regulations.
I have a state lab that I use for the original company which I trust implicitly.
For the new company to get to that lab will require a 6 hour drive time to deliver and again to pick up. Not very cost effective.
A state lab less than an hour away has a “conditional” approval through the MAP program.
Now comes the questions for a sage 17025 auditor/assessor……..
Is this acceptable? Given my time constraints, it would be most convenient if it is.
By the same token I do not want to have to do ANYTHING multiple times. I personally have a problem with the word “Conditional” however in the interest of time and cost……. Will it fly?

PS. Many more questions will be coming at you all about FDA and Pharmacopeias,(they seem to have strange definitions of uncertainty) but first things first.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
My understanding (after Google searching the subject) is that the conditional approval is specific to a certain condition or tool, which must still be corrected. Think of it as a "fix it ticket" for a brake light out on a car.

Your ability to use the lab under conditional approval status is a question for the registrar, IMHO. It might be okay if you are not using what is under this temporary status.

Is there a courier service you can use?

C

crendfrey

Mark, I have avoided calling the state for explanation so as not to raise a red flag during the transition of the company. There are many residual issues to be overcome. Some regarding the previous owners relationship with the powers that be with the state.
Hopefully “ conditional” has nothing to do with mass calibration.

The time constraints for accreditation have me grasping at straws for quick and appropriate solutions.

Jennifer,

The problem with a courier is I must transport more than 50,000 pounds of weights for calibration.
This is very costly even using our own vehicles and of course paying the man to do it.

Thanks guys,

I do have a call into my AB to get the official answer.
I was just hoping to have some more information before I started opening all of these cans of worms……:bonk:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
The problem with a courier is I must transport more than 50,000 pounds of weights for calibration.
This is very costly even using our own vehicles and of course paying the man to do it.
I see. That is a lot of stuff.

Does this calibration lab make house calls? I know of one around here that does.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
First, the state lab question.....generally, state labs come under what is known as legal metrology, per OIML.....so that may not be much of an issue, just need to make sure the traceability is good, and a few other minor points.....

Secondly, don't sign with ANY of the four recognized ABs in the U.S. till you get a quote from all four and talk to their staff.....IAS, NVLAP, A2LA, and ACLASS.....discuss schedules and how to best work with your systems and approaches.....

Hope this helps.....

C

crendfrey

Greetings and thank you Hershal,

The other two companies are already accredited by ACLASS. We at this point have a good working relationship. I believe we will also have them do the new company as I already understand and comply with their requirements to their satisfaction. I have found their auditors reasonable people with, so far, excellent input on ways to improve. Demanding but fair, to us, anyway.

My concern is this “conditional certification of traceability” from NIST.
If they (the state lab) had a cert that said “demonstrated” instead of “Conditionally demonstrated” there would be no question in my mind.
I guess I will just have to call NIST and ask what it means.

C

crendfrey

Update…..

Well the news is all good for me.

Conditional approval is for volume only.
I spoke with NIST about approvals, we are good to go.(I think)

This eliminates a logistical nightmare for me….:biglaugh:

First batch of 2600 pounds will be on the way Monday!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K External Auditor asking for other Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
W First time being audited (ISO 9001), asking for advice ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M OEM asking for NC report after certification audit. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N Customer asking if their notified body can audit us ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
P Automotive Customer asking PPAP for catalogue parts IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
B GM GP-12 Pre-Launch - They asking for a I chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M AS9100 D 8.3.4.1 a - Parameters to be recorded" - What is this asking for? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S AS9102 - Clarification - PO asking for an Assembly at Rev B (Print at Rev C) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Defect Rate for asking for an RMA - Company wants an RMA for every defect found Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
J Potential Customers Asking for EIRs / 483s when evaluating a CRO for future work US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
V Customer is asking for a Bottlenecks and Contingency Plan for our Mfg Processes APQP and PPAP 5
C DCMA (Defense Contract Management Agency) asking for Inspection Schedule Dates AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
J How I should format a SCAR Cover Letter? SQE asking for advice ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
G Supplier Quality Questionnaire - Asking who our customers are Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
J Sourcing a Sterile Product - Asking for supplier for too much regulatory stuff? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Jim Wynne Employers asking Job Candidates for Facebook Passwords Career and Occupation Discussions 11
A Does anyone know what a SRVA is? Chrysler is asking for this for tooling Customer and Company Specific Requirements 7
S French Customer asking for an NFL 00-015C Certificate - Statement of Conformity Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
S EOQ (Economic Order Quantity) - Use for managing Customer Orders - asking help Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
M Two Industry Regulations Asking For Opposite Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
G Customer asking for CPK 1.5 Quality Level IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Delivery Transportation - Asking about outsourced process clause 4.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Print asking for Straightness of 0.013 and it has a note "Any Radial Element" Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
D Outsourced Material - Customer who is asking us for a level 3 PPAP APQP and PPAP 8
L Client asking for us to perform VDA 275 - VDA questions VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
BradM Wikipedia asking for financial assistance World News 5
L Asking for AQL for checking 5 liters can AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
S Employer asking me to compromise on integrity Career and Occupation Discussions 46
K Asking for a Raise and Justifying a Raise Career and Occupation Discussions 30
T Venezuela government is asking for "GMP Certification" - Huh? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
D How to conduct The Presidential Quality Audit? (Asking a question) General Auditing Discussions 4
M Supplier audit - Are they asking for too much documentation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
Z Customer asking about the Japan Green Initiative / China RoHS activities Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
V OEM is asking for a specific FMEA to produce first articles IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
samer Are your employees asking for a salary increase? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
V Ford 2nd Tier info - Ford is asking us for a list of all of our suppliers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 29
B Measurement System Manufacturer specs - Customers have been asking about our Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M Preparing for External Audits - Asking Registrar for their Audit Check List(s) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
X Asking for e-coat inspection plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
H Confirmation of software - Exactly what the last paragraph of 7.6 is asking for? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Yet another design question - Customer is asking for a print but we do not do design Design and Development of Products and Processes 19
Marc Registrar Asking Customer to complete QMS Audit Matrix Registrars and Notified Bodies 16
E What is the PPAP date my customer is asking me for? APQP and PPAP 4
B GQAS - We have a customer asking for certification - What is it? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
A Environmental Impact Study - Customer is asking for a copy Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 10
R Customer Letter Asking for TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
T Asking Suppliers about Statistical Techniques they use Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
1 Capability Study for Level 3 PPAP - They are asking for a 100 peice capability study APQP and PPAP 4
Ed Panek Auditor MDR (Presub audit) finding EU Medical Device Regulations 2
I Freelance VDA6.3 Auditor at TURKEY VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0