Asking Suppliers about Statistical Techniques they use

T

tomjess

I need to write to all of our suppliers and ask them if they are using any sort of Statistical Techniques.

What sort of things should I say in this letter?

Yours in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Rick Goodson

tomjess,

How about, "are you using any statistical techniques?" Only kidding!

You probably need to start by explaining why you want to know if they use the techniques. Explain what is the driving force behind the inquiry. Then you probably should explain to them what your organization means by statistical techniques. Different organizations may have different interpretations of what is a statistical technique. Is acceptance sampling considered a statistical technique? Is it based on a sound statistical evaluation or has someone just said look at 1 out of ervery 100 produced.
Finally you come to the original question of which techniques they use.

K

KenK - 2009

No offense, but it sounds like the blind asking the blind.

May I suggest you first get some training in statistical methods before asking your suppliers if they are using them?

A lot of this can be self-taught - to some extent.

C

Chemman

Suppliers and Statistical Techniques

Al: Don't ask, tell them what you expect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I agree with you, you must manage the supplier, don't let them manage you.

However, some memories twisted your statement and left the following humor in my mind:

I am adding, "I am your STA and I am here to help you... And require you to improve your process at your expense. So the process is exceptional, the customer always expects continuous improvement. You ask how much will it cost to make this marginal improvement and justify it with limited functional improvement? That's your problem, your competitors don't ask that question. Remember: Continuous Improvement... QS-9000... Hey, I am a quality guy, just make it better, money is not a normal distribution.

Oh, I see you have a Cpk of 3, looks like we can tighten the specifications on the print... We will also include the 5% cost reduction for your process improvement efforts. Hey, we are all in this together. When you benifit, we prosper. You got an award and a flag for god's sake. Thats just the way of doing business. We bend over to the union, and put the thumb screws to all the superior outsourced suppliers that are lucky to have our business.

BTW, you guys sure jumped through hoops to make that PPAP timing after your APQP process was a disaster. I know you requested the final drawings and a signed contract over and over again from us in order to purchase the toolings and machinery. But, you should have anticipated this and wrote the PO anyway since it went Red --- hear me: APQP. Repeat 'APQP', one of the little blue books from AIAG. Shame on you for letting that happen. Manage your customer folks. However, through it all, my boss is pleased I was able to come in here and fix your inadequate management of this problem. Remember, as STA, I am here to make you a first rate supplier. Call me if you have a problem anytime. "

Chemman

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Ford 2nd Tier info - Ford is asking us for a list of all of our suppliers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 29
M OEM asking for NC report after certification audit. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N Customer asking if their notified body can audit us ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
P Automotive Customer asking PPAP for catalogue parts IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
B GM GP-12 Pre-Launch - They asking for a I chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M AS9100 D 8.3.4.1 a - Parameters to be recorded" - What is this asking for? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S AS9102 - Clarification - PO asking for an Assembly at Rev B (Print at Rev C) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Defect Rate for asking for an RMA - Company wants an RMA for every defect found Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
J Potential Customers Asking for EIRs / 483s when evaluating a CRO for future work US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
V Customer is asking for a Bottlenecks and Contingency Plan for our Mfg Processes APQP and PPAP 5
C DCMA (Defense Contract Management Agency) asking for Inspection Schedule Dates AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
J How I should format a SCAR Cover Letter? SQE asking for advice ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
G Supplier Quality Questionnaire - Asking who our customers are Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
J Sourcing a Sterile Product - Asking for supplier for too much regulatory stuff? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Jim Wynne Employers asking Job Candidates for Facebook Passwords Career and Occupation Discussions 11
K External Auditor asking for other Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
A Does anyone know what a SRVA is? Chrysler is asking for this for tooling Customer and Company Specific Requirements 7
S French Customer asking for an NFL 00-015C Certificate - Statement of Conformity Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
S EOQ (Economic Order Quantity) - Use for managing Customer Orders - asking help Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
M Two Industry Regulations Asking For Opposite Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
G Customer asking for CPK 1.5 Quality Level IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Delivery Transportation - Asking about outsourced process clause 4.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Print asking for Straightness of 0.013 and it has a note "Any Radial Element" Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
D Outsourced Material - Customer who is asking us for a level 3 PPAP APQP and PPAP 8
L Client asking for us to perform VDA 275 - VDA questions VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
BradM Wikipedia asking for financial assistance World News 5
L Asking for AQL for checking 5 liters can AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
S Employer asking me to compromise on integrity Career and Occupation Discussions 46
K Asking for a Raise and Justifying a Raise Career and Occupation Discussions 30
T Venezuela government is asking for "GMP Certification" - Huh? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C Asking an Auditor's Advice on different systems at different laboratories General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
D How to conduct The Presidential Quality Audit? (Asking a question) General Auditing Discussions 4
M Supplier audit - Are they asking for too much documentation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
Z Customer asking about the Japan Green Initiative / China RoHS activities Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
V OEM is asking for a specific FMEA to produce first articles IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
samer Are your employees asking for a salary increase? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
B Measurement System Manufacturer specs - Customers have been asking about our Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M Preparing for External Audits - Asking Registrar for their Audit Check List(s) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
X Asking for e-coat inspection plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
H Confirmation of software - Exactly what the last paragraph of 7.6 is asking for? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Yet another design question - Customer is asking for a print but we do not do design Design and Development of Products and Processes 19
Marc Registrar Asking Customer to complete QMS Audit Matrix Registrars and Notified Bodies 16
E What is the PPAP date my customer is asking me for? APQP and PPAP 4
B GQAS - We have a customer asking for certification - What is it? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
A Environmental Impact Study - Customer is asking for a copy Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 10
R Customer Letter Asking for TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
1 Capability Study for Level 3 PPAP - They are asking for a 100 peice capability study APQP and PPAP 4
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 4
B General Motors and Honda Alliance - What does this mean to suppliers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Conflict Minerals - Tin Suppliers CMRT Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2