ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code

E

energy

Are there any Q people out there involved in ASME Boiler And Pressure Vessel Code Section VIII, Division 1? Senior Management has tasked me with looking into the feasibility of becoming an accredited manufacturer of Code Vessels. I have contacted ASME and have a lot of information. My hope is that there is somebody out there who can help with the real issues we can expect to encounter as we proceed. We currently manufacture pressure vessels for non-code applications and purchase Code Tanks from a certified Supplier. Big $$$$. My gut feel is that it will take a lot of tanks to make up the $$$$ spent on accreditation, even if we could meet the strict requirements.
Currently, our welders are certified to ASME Section IX for welding P-1 to P-8 pipe from 1/2" Dia to 18" Dia.

So, we now have this task to pursue while we attempt ISO 9001:2000 Registration. And like ISO, our team is waiting for me to do it!:bonk: Anybody out there who can help me look good? And I don't mean a Plastic Surgeon.:vfunny: :ko: :smokin:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

Curtis

ASME/Boiler

Energy,

I have some good friends in the Boiler Inspection Division of NC Labor (they are part of the first state gov't agency certified to ISO 9001) who might help you. Your situation was certainly over my head but these guys will certainly understand and can relate to the ISO initiative as well. Happy to give them your name, number, etc. if you like.

Regards,

Curtis

E

energy

Re: ASME/Boiler

Curtis said:

Energy,

I have some good friends in the Boiler Inspection Division of NC Labor (they are part of the first state gov't agency certified to ISO 9001) who might help you. Your situation was certainly over my head but these guys will certainly understand and can relate to the ISO initiative as well. Happy to give them your name, number, etc. if you like.

Regards,

Curtis
Curtis,

I appreciate your response. We are in contact with the local Boiler Inspection Division for our region. They are heavy into what the requirements are. After all, they are the ones that prepare you for the actual ASME acreditation, at a hefty price. Plus, they get paid each time they come to the company to bless the vessels. So, they have a vested interest in prolonging the process. I'm hoping to hear from someone who has been through the process and can provide information on "hidden" costs and not so obvious problems encountered that are not part of either ASME or the Boiler Division's concern. Again, thank you.
I can see by the views that there are not a lot of companies in that business that frequent this site. Know why? They are too busy working! :vfunny:
I currently perform Source Inspection at Code facilities for product we purchase. First, you're lucky if they have a person with "Q" in their title, let alone internet access and the time to browse the forums. Second, these facilities are not so free with their information. Can't blame them. They are looking at a potential competitor. Hey, maybe I'll get lucky. :rolleyes: :ko: :smokin:

Energy,
I workred as a consultant for three welding companies( small Mom&Pop) in the early 80's.
My primary fuction was to perform the pressure vessel calculations.
A few of the problems areas I encountered:
- Previous calculations not perormed correctly,
- material traceability not adequate,
- inspection points not established,
- welder certs not up-to-date,
- scheduling the outside x-rayxtech.
All of our welds required 100% x-ray.

Based on my past experience with code inspectors, 9k2k will be a cakewalk.

E

energy

Okay!!

Sam,

I already informed Management that they would have to increase the head count by adding an Engineer to do exactly what you were doing. Maximum internal and external pressure, working pressure, including the static head thereon as determined by the rules and formulations, loading, etc..is way over this man's shiny head.:bonk: That's a career in itself. You also have to be able do seismic zone calculations for tanks supplied to earthquake prone states. Currently, 48 of the 50 states, require Code pressure vessels. So, it's a market. Your comment about ISO is interesting because ASME provides that service. I haven't looked at it closely, but it may be that they are like a Registrar.

My experience with Code Inspectors is minimal, except that they would not stamp our vessels until I was satisfied with the configuration of the vessel. All they care about is that it is put together in accordance with the Code. Top, bottom and straightside. I understand they show up twice. Once for fit-up (Tacked assy), and material verification and then again for hydrostatic test and visual inspection of welds. Last number I heard was approx. $500 for the two visits. Any memories on the total cost for Mom & Pop getting accredited? They couldn't have been that small to afford the whole package. I looked on the ASME site and saw a $7000 price tag for the ASME Book. Section VIII, alone, was $450. Anyway, thanks for the response. Good information in this field is hard to come by, except by those who have the most to gain$$$$.:ko: :smokin:

H

HFowler

energy,

I worked for pressure relief valve manufacturers for (10) years. We were certified to ASME Section I, IV & VIII (Divisions 1&2). I found the National Board of Boiler & Pressure Vessel Inspectors in Columbus, OH to be most helpful. I'm sorry, I don't have any experience with tamk construction though. We always purchased those. tyhe most we ever got into concerning tanks was hyydrostatic testing.

Best Regards,
Hank

Last number I heard was approx. $500 for the two visits. Any "memories on the total cost for Mom & Pop getting accredited? They couldn't have been that small to afford the whole package. I looked on the ASME site and saw a $7000 price tag for the ASME Book. Section VIII, alone, was $450."

IN 1983, if memory serves me correctly, the price per visit was 100-125. I was getting $50/$60 per hour consulting fee; $30 per hour for an 8 hour day. This was during the last days of the "oil boom" in Oklahoma, fees dropped considerably later on.
X-rays were expensive; about $4.50 for a 3 shot weld.
The size of the facility was 3 people at one shop to 10 at another. And they did have complete sets of the code.
Those were the fun times.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K ASME BPVC (Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code) Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
P FAI Ballooning ASME Y14.5 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Painted cut threads - ASME Pipe Suppliers Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
GoKats78 ASME Y14.5 Dimensioning and Tolerancing - Is there a JIS equivalent to Y14.5? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
optomist1 ASME Y14.5 Irregular vs Regular Features of Size Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
O What does "Gap" and "Flush" in ASME Y14.5 mean? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
optomist1 Has anyone recently taken the GD&T ASME Y14.5M Certification Exam Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Positional Tolerance - Bonus / Datum Shift / ASME Y14.5M - Clarification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
D New ASME B89.1.13-2013 Standard for Micrometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
L How to conduct a Quality Audit based on ASME BPVC VIII-1 requirements Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
M What Preceded ANSI/ASME Y14.5? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M ANSI/ASME B1.2 Revision Changes from the 2001 version Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
L ASME Y14.5 Coaxial Feature Toleranced with Position w/o Reference Datum Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
G Dial Indicator Calibration Frequency - ASME/ANSI B89.1.10M-1987 Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
D ASME Y14.5M 1994 and 2009 Training Resources Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
R ASME of Sterilizers from China for the US Dental Industry China Medical Device Regulations 3
D Auxiliary View Fold Line convention in ASME standard? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
optomist1 ASME GD&T Certification Test - Converting Coordinate Tolerances to Profile Tolerances Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
G ASME Y14.5-2009 on tolerance limits Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
optomist1 Is ASME GD&T Technologist Certification worthwhile? Professional Certifications and Degrees 7
M ASME B1.13M Standard - Specification of a Plug Gage of Minor Diamateter Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
T Dimensions Before or After Coating? Drawing states ASME Y14.100 and Y14.5 apply Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
G ANSI & ASME regardless of Maximum Material Condition when none is specified Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
M ASME-NQA-1-2008 - Quality Assurance Requirements for Nuclear Facility Applications Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
R Distribution of Reference Documents and ASME Codes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
N ASME B89.1.13 question regarding Resolution and Maximum Permissible Error General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Standard Relevance & Updating - ASME B&PVC Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
T ASME NQA-1-1994 Standard Supplement 17S-1: Dual Storage Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
Q Dial Indicator Verification Procedure - ANSI/ASME B89.1.10M-2001 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
M ASME NQA-1 and Interface Control Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 34
M ASME NQA-1-1994 Standards - Struggling with the supplement references Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 16
Stijloor ASME Y14.5M-2009 is on its way! Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 10
T Nuclear Liability - Supplying construction materials - ASME under NCA 3800 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
J Measurement Over Wires - Is there an ISO equivalent of ASME B1.16m Appendix B? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
D GD&T and "Fixed Fastener formula" (ASME Y14.5) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
I European Code (EN13445) vs. ASME VIII - Calculating Spherical Heads Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
K PED (Pressure Equipment Directive) Certification - We hold an ASME 'S' stamp CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
M ANSI-Y14.5M vs. ASME-Y14.5M - Does an ANSI-Y14.5M-1994 document actually exist? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
D Drafting Conventions per ASME Y14.5m - Three significant digits rule Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 12
M Is ASME B89.1.5 a standard? Measurement of master discs or cylindrical plug gages Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 10
O Environmental conditions per ASME NQA-1 2000 QA records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
ScottK ASME B&PVC Section VIII Div 1 question regarding "Seal" Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
M New Gage Block Tolerances - ASME B89.1.9 Tolerances and Grades General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
A Rights of Access per ASME/NQA-1 2000 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 17
ScottK The term "Quality Control Manual" - ASME B&PVC question Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
A ASME Symbols (process Flow Diagrams) - GM-1805 (KCDS) shows different symbols APQP and PPAP 3
Phil P Conflicting tolerances on the component pitch - ASME Y14.5M - 1994 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
gard2372 Any websites or matrices to cross reference EN or DIN standards to SAE/ASME etc...? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
D ASME standard - Format for Drawing (Print) Title Block Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
Ron Rompen Does this print callout meet ASME Y14.5 1994 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25