ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code

E

energy

Are there any Q people out there involved in ASME Boiler And Pressure Vessel Code Section VIII, Division 1? Senior Management has tasked me with looking into the feasibility of becoming an accredited manufacturer of Code Vessels. I have contacted ASME and have a lot of information. My hope is that there is somebody out there who can help with the real issues we can expect to encounter as we proceed. We currently manufacture pressure vessels for non-code applications and purchase Code Tanks from a certified Supplier. Big $$$$. My gut feel is that it will take a lot of tanks to make up the $$$$ spent on accreditation, even if we could meet the strict requirements.
Currently, our welders are certified to ASME Section IX for welding P-1 to P-8 pipe from 1/2" Dia to 18" Dia.

So, we now have this task to pursue while we attempt ISO 9001:2000 Registration. And like ISO, our team is waiting for me to do it!:bonk: Anybody out there who can help me look good? And I don't mean a Plastic Surgeon.:vfunny: :ko: :smokin:

C

Curtis

ASME/Boiler

Energy,

I have some good friends in the Boiler Inspection Division of NC Labor (they are part of the first state gov't agency certified to ISO 9001) who might help you. Your situation was certainly over my head but these guys will certainly understand and can relate to the ISO initiative as well. Happy to give them your name, number, etc. if you like.

Regards,

Curtis

E

energy

Re: ASME/Boiler

Curtis said:

Energy,

I have some good friends in the Boiler Inspection Division of NC Labor (they are part of the first state gov't agency certified to ISO 9001) who might help you. Your situation was certainly over my head but these guys will certainly understand and can relate to the ISO initiative as well. Happy to give them your name, number, etc. if you like.

Regards,

Curtis

Curtis,

I appreciate your response. We are in contact with the local Boiler Inspection Division for our region. They are heavy into what the requirements are. After all, they are the ones that prepare you for the actual ASME acreditation, at a hefty price. Plus, they get paid each time they come to the company to bless the vessels. So, they have a vested interest in prolonging the process. I'm hoping to hear from someone who has been through the process and can provide information on "hidden" costs and not so obvious problems encountered that are not part of either ASME or the Boiler Division's concern. Again, thank you.
I can see by the views that there are not a lot of companies in that business that frequent this site. Know why? They are too busy working! :vfunny:
I currently perform Source Inspection at Code facilities for product we purchase. First, you're lucky if they have a person with "Q" in their title, let alone internet access and the time to browse the forums. Second, these facilities are not so free with their information. Can't blame them. They are looking at a potential competitor. Hey, maybe I'll get lucky. :rolleyes: :ko: :smokin:

S

Sam

Energy,
I workred as a consultant for three welding companies( small Mom&Pop) in the early 80's.
My primary fuction was to perform the pressure vessel calculations.
A few of the problems areas I encountered:
- Previous calculations not perormed correctly,
- material traceability not adequate,
- inspection points not established,
- welder certs not up-to-date,
- scheduling the outside x-rayxtech.
All of our welds required 100% x-ray.

Based on my past experience with code inspectors, 9k2k will be a cakewalk.

E

energy

Okay!!

Sam,

I already informed Management that they would have to increase the head count by adding an Engineer to do exactly what you were doing. Maximum internal and external pressure, working pressure, including the static head thereon as determined by the rules and formulations, loading, etc..is way over this man's shiny head.:bonk: That's a career in itself. You also have to be able do seismic zone calculations for tanks supplied to earthquake prone states. Currently, 48 of the 50 states, require Code pressure vessels. So, it's a market. Your comment about ISO is interesting because ASME provides that service. I haven't looked at it closely, but it may be that they are like a Registrar.

My experience with Code Inspectors is minimal, except that they would not stamp our vessels until I was satisfied with the configuration of the vessel. All they care about is that it is put together in accordance with the Code. Top, bottom and straightside. I understand they show up twice. Once for fit-up (Tacked assy), and material verification and then again for hydrostatic test and visual inspection of welds. Last number I heard was approx. $500 for the two visits. Any memories on the total cost for Mom & Pop getting accredited? They couldn't have been that small to afford the whole package. I looked on the ASME site and saw a $7000 price tag for the ASME Book. Section VIII, alone, was $450. Anyway, thanks for the response. Good information in this field is hard to come by, except by those who have the most to gain$$$$.:ko: :smokin:

H

HFowler

energy,

I worked for pressure relief valve manufacturers for (10) years. We were certified to ASME Section I, IV & VIII (Divisions 1&2). I found the National Board of Boiler & Pressure Vessel Inspectors in Columbus, OH to be most helpful. I'm sorry, I don't have any experience with tamk construction though. We always purchased those. tyhe most we ever got into concerning tanks was hyydrostatic testing.

Best Regards,
Hank

S

Sam

Last number I heard was approx. $500 for the two visits. Any "memories on the total cost for Mom & Pop getting accredited? They couldn't have been that small to afford the whole package. I looked on the ASME site and saw a $7000 price tag for the ASME Book. Section VIII, alone, was $450."

IN 1983, if memory serves me correctly, the price per visit was 100-125. I was getting $50/$60 per hour consulting fee; $30 per hour for an 8 hour day. This was during the last days of the "oil boom" in Oklahoma, fees dropped considerably later on.
X-rays were expensive; about $4.50 for a 3 shot weld.
The size of the facility was 3 people at one shop to 10 at another. And they did have complete sets of the code.
Those were the fun times.

Top Bottom