ASQ Certified Supplier Quality Professional is the certification worth it?

Is taking the ASQ Supplier Quality Professional program worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just recently got back into a quality role after 4 1/2 years working in an Operations related capacity for a company that was non ISO. I accepted a new role as Quality Supplier Manager for a new company.

My previous quality background was AS9100 related and includes taking the first company I worked for from ISO9001 to AS9100. In that role I dealt with managing supplier quality for almost five years including supplier audits, supplier score cards, ASL, so on and so forth. I was there a total of 12 1/2 years and worked in production and quality. The second company I worked at for 5 1/2 years was non ISO non regulated. I implemented an ISO compliant system, but once I transitioned into Operations, upper management decided to suspend the QMS and go with a more laxed system. The new company I work for is in the process of implementing a QMS and has brought me on as the Supplier Quality Manager. They want me to build the system from soup to nuts and manage it once implemented.

The reason I give my background is to help determine is taking the new ASQ Certified Supplier Quality Professional program worth it? I'm trying to find as much material as I can about it on line, but it is somewhat vague and generic. What I am trying to figure out is, is there any new and cutting edge material in the program that would benefit me after being out of the supplier quality game so to speak for 5 1/2 years. If so what would be the selling points for upper management as far as the benefits go? Any info or insight is appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Like all of the ASQ certifications, it's an independent certification intended to show that you know what you're doing in the field. I would say that it at least shows that you're familiar enough with the body of knowledge that you can pass the test.

In my opinion, there is probably nothing new and exciting. The certifications are generally based on tried and established quality principles and practices. The question about whether you'll learn things that you don't already know is a question that only you can answer. I would suggest that you look at the ASQ body of knowledge for it if you haven't already. If there are things listed that you aren't familiar with, then you could buy one of the books from ASQ or the Quality Council of Indiana or somewhere else. It's up to you if you want to take a prep class or take the exam depending on what your goal is. I find that having the certification is useful on your resume, but getting a certification while you're already on the job probably won't get you a raise. ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P ASQ Certified Biomedical Auditor (CBA) Certification Preparation 2019 ASQ - American Society for Quality 3
Q Passed ASQ Certified Quality Process Analyst Exam! What next? Professional Certifications and Degrees 7
R Material allowed in the ASQ CQPA (Certified Quality Process Analyst) Exam ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
S Any suggestions for ASQ CPGP (Certified Pharmaceutical GMP Professional) exam prep? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
K ASQ Certified Quality Inspector (CQI) Training Help Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
T ASQ CQA (Certified Quality Auditor) - Self - study help Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
K Benefits of being an ASQ CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
Q ASQ CQM (Certified Quality Manager)/OE Certification Exam Preparation Materials Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
N MSc in Quality Management vs. ASQ Certified QM - Which course to go for? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
Q ASQ CSSBB - Certified Six Sigma Black Belt Professional Certifications and Degrees 18
S ASQ CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) June 2009 Results Professional Certifications and Degrees 11
B New ASQ CQE (Certified Quality Engineer)! Professional Certifications and Degrees 6
A Passed ASQ CQPA (Certified Quality Process Analyst) Exam! Professional Certifications and Degrees 21
G I passed the ASQ-CQA (Certified Quality Auditor) exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 12
B ASQ - CQA (Certified Quality Auditor) exam next week !! Professional Certifications and Degrees 18
B ASQ's CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) Test Questions Pattern Professional Certifications and Degrees 7
Govind Change in Body of Knowledge - ASQ Certified Sixsigma Blackbelt Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
Ajit Basrur Certified Biomedical Auditor (ASQ) - What study materials did you use? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
T Opinions regarding the ASQ Certified Calibration Technician (CCT) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Govind ASQ CSQE (Certified Software Quality Engineer) Online Quiz Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
RoxaneB Certified Performance Technologist - How does it compare to an ASQ certification? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
Govind Certified Six Sigma Green Belt - A New ASQ Certification is Coming! Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
R ASQ Certified Quality Manager - Any horror stories? Has it helped you in your career? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 15
Govind CQPA (Certified Quality Process Analyst) - NEW ASQ Certification Professional Certifications and Degrees 18
G Why a CQE certification? Who should become an ASQ Certified Quality Engineer? Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
D Published ASQ CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) Exams - Where can I get them? Professional Certifications and Degrees 22
Q Advice for the ASQ CQM (Certified Quality Manager) Test? Professional Certifications and Degrees 14
howste New ASQ CQA (certified quality auditor) body of knowledge (BOK) General Auditing Discussions 7
T Steps to become CQM (ASQ Certified Quality Manager) Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
S ASQ's CQT (Certified Quality Technician) Certification - Is it worth taking the test? Professional Certifications and Degrees 9
L ASQ CQA (Certified Quality Auditor) Test - Any advice for me? Professional Certifications and Degrees 6
S Is using ANSI/ASQ Z1.4-2008 the correct sampling plan to determine Pass/Fail of Apparel measurements? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
E Preparing for the ASQ CPGP (GMP professional exam), how to revise and remember the vast syllabus? ASQ - American Society for Quality 2
T ASQ CQE vs CMQ/OE Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
Sidney Vianna Continual decline of ASQ - can it be saved? Nov 2019 ASQ - American Society for Quality 15
L ASQ CBA biomedical auditor - CBA primer material is enough to study? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Getting training either from ASQ or from SAI Global - ISO 9001 Lead Auditor training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
R ASQ reference material clarification - Spiral bound materials allowed in ASQ Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
andika_untoro ASQ CQE Exam Group for Dec 2019 / Jan 2020 Preparation ASQ - American Society for Quality 18
A Any recommendation for ASQ's CPGP (Pharmaceutical GMP Professional) Certification exam questions? ASQ - American Society for Quality 2
Q ASQ/ANSI Z1.4–2003 (R2018) Change Log? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
J ASQ Chicago Training Institute - If any of you are interesting in teaching ASQ Certification preparation ASQ - American Society for Quality 1
D ASQ CMQ/OE Certification - Share your thoughts ASQ - American Society for Quality 3
T ASQ Lean 6sigma BB examination Six Sigma 3
R ASQ, CQI,............where else ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
Marc ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 - Phoenix, AZ ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
Bev D ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C AS9100 rev D 8.5.1 c 2 - Defining the Machine in-process frequency per ANSI/ASQ Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
Sidney Vianna ASQ apparently doesn't know ISO does not issue ISO 9001 certificates? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
Marc ASQ Linkedin Group - Microsoft Sharepoint discussion - June 2017 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 0