ASQ CMQ/OE Certification - Share your thoughts

David-D

Involved In Discussions
Greetings,

I'm considerng taking yhe American Society for Quality's (ASQ's) Certified Manager of Quality and Operational Excellence (CMQ/OE) exam and would appreciae an of your thoughts suggestions the matter. I'm a mid-career (15+ years) Quality professional and have several other ASQ certifications (CQE, CRE, SSBB).

Could any of you share your thoughts on CMQ/OE including on any of thr following:

1. Have you found the Body of Knowledge (BOK) useful and aligned to your job?
2. How was the difficulty, especially compared to other exams (CQE, CRE, SSBB, etc).
3. What did you do to prepare?
4. What reference materials did you find useful to bring?
5 How did you find the essay portions?
6. Have you taken it since a computer option was provided and how did that go?
7. Have you found the certification beneficial in your career or advancement?

Thanks for your thoughts,

David

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
1. As a 3rd party auditor, yes it helps to have this well-rounded BOK.
2. I found it less difficult than CQE and CSSBB based on less focus on statistics.
3. To prepare, I read ASQ's Handbook for Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence from cover to cover.
4. I found no other reference materials to be of nearly as much use as the Handbook. That was also the case with my other five ASQ certs.
5. I had no trouble with the essay questions once I decided to answer them in a plan-do-check-act format.
6. I took it before the computer options. I would welcome being able to type out my essay answers now.
7. I do find people respect the certification, though it has not been a direct reason for hire.

I hope this helps!

A

aassem

1. As a 3rd party auditor, yes it helps to have this well-rounded BOK.
2. I found it less difficult than CQE and CSSBB based on less focus on statistics.
3. To prepare, I read ASQ's Handbook for Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence from cover to cover.
4. I found no other reference materials to be of nearly as much use as the Handbook. That was also the case with my other five ASQ certs.
5. I had no trouble with the essay questions once I decided to answer them in a plan-do-check-act format.
6. I took it before the computer options. I would welcome being able to type out my essay answers now.
7. I do find people respect the certification, though it has not been a direct reason for hire.

I hope this helps!
clear answer & really helpful
i may add another reference to study which is the CMQ/OE Primer (By the QCI) they also offer exam CDs

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I used CQI Primers and exam question CDs several years ago.

The Primers were in big, bulky binders that would be awkward in a test room, and the material was limited. They can help you pass the test but the Handbooks made better desk references.

The CDs were okay, but I found several redundant questions and some were just wrong.

Top Bottom