Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory
Social Distancing - It's not just YOUR life - It's ALL of OUR lives!
Me <——————— 6 Feet ———————-> You

ASQ Proxy and Officer Elections 2007

C

Craig H.

I just received an email from ASQ with bylaws changes and officer candidates. Does anyone have an opinion/advice on how to vote?

I just received an email from ASQ with bylaws changes and officer candidates. Does anyone have an opinion/advice on how to vote?
Hi Craig,

I voted last Friday when the e-mail came in. I couldn't find the block number, because they didn't send it. I called ASQ HQ and they said to use 02232007 (which was the date). ASQ later sent an e-mail removing the requirement to add this number in order to vote.

What I did was look at the Bylaws document to see the changes. Then I looked at the 2 page summary for each candidate. I spend about 10 minutes on the whole process, except for calling HQ about the number.

I suggest each person make their decisions based on the information provided.

Wes R.

C

Craig H.

Wesley,

The reason I asked is that a few years ago (maybe last year) the proxies were sent out, and I voted right then, only to see much discussion on the Cove which would have changed my thinking, and my vote. I did not want to be in that position again.

Your advice is good, though. Just wanted a little more information. THANKS!!

:)

Tim Folkerts

Super Moderator
I would like to point out the election rules for ASQ. I would also like to state that I strongly disagree with them because I believe
  1. they are waaaaay too restrictive, and
  2. they were not created in accordance with the bylaws of ASQ
The rules state:
  1. In order to provide each candidate a level playing field:
    1. Candidates are prohibited from campaigning, or having others campaign for them.
    2. There will be no use of ASQ mailing lists or other Society resources.
    3. There will be no use of ASQ Society funds or solicitation of funds from individual members or member units (sections, divisions, regions, etc.) for campaign purposes.
    4. ASQ organizations and their members, including committees, councils, member units, and subsidiaries, cannot endorse a candidate either in writing or verbally.
    5. Candidates can talk to individual members who initiate contact with them.
  2. Each candidate shall respond to a questionnaire prepared by the Nominating Committee—limited to one page, including questions.
  3. Questionnaire responses, biographical information, and photos shall be received from each candidate no later than February 2, 2007.
  4. The candidate’s biographical information, photo and responses to the questionnaire shall be distributed to all members of good standing with the proxies.
  5. The proxy process shall be administered by the Tellers Committee. The Tellers Committee shall have the exclusive responsibility to monitor and validate the election outcome.
    1. Proxies shall be sent by the Secretary to each Regular member in good standing by February 23, 2007, in accordance with Section 8.2 of the Bylaws.
    2. Proxies returned by the Regular members shall be postmarked or otherwise delivered, including via electronic means, by March 30, 2007.
    3. Election results shall be announced at the Annual Business Meeting on April 29, 2007.
  6. All violations of these rules will be brought before the Ethics Committee.
The basic interpretation of these rules is that
  1. Members may not openly state opinions. Rules 1a and 1d prohibit members from campaigning or endorsing candidates.
    Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
    endorse: 2 a
    : to approve openly <
    endorse an idea>; especially : to express support or approval of publicly and definitely <endorse a mayoral candidate>
    I may not openly state whom I support - not here at Elsmar Cove, not at an ASQ section meeting. nor may I speak at a Section .

Strictly speaking, Wes violated these rules by saying who he supported and could be brought before the Ethics Committee!
  2. Candidates may not openly state opinions. The only approved means of mass communication is via a one page statement answering questions posed my the Nominating Committee. Granted, the three questions on the offical from are fairly open-ended, so the candidates have considerable flexibility to make their main points, but it is still just three specific questions.
  • There is no general statement by the candidates where they may address issues that they think are important.
  • There is no ASQ discussion forum where condidates could respond to questions from members.
  • There is no option for candidates to participate in a forum like Elsmar Cove to dig into the issues in greater depth.
I can see the need for some restrictions, so that rich candidates cannot jet around the country to speak at all the local sections, but there are plenty of low-cost ways that candidates could be allowed to interact with voters.

Finally, there is nothing in the bylaws (that I could find, anyway) about these rules, and no authority given to the Nominating Committe to create election rules. They are chrged simply with nominating their own slate of candidates and approving the nominations of other candidates.

Sorry, just had to vent! :mad:

Tim F

C

Craig H.

In part BECAUSE of these rules, I restate my question, and ask again:

Does anyone have an OPINION or ADVICE on how to vote on these issues that they can give me WITHOUT endorsing a particular issue or candidate?

Tim, we have had discussions here at the Cove about insiders, etc. that I don't think we need to go through again. That said, I do care about the organization, but do not go to many meetings (distance, cost, and so on). How, then, am I to form an opinion without asking for input from others (rhetorical question)?

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
In part BECAUSE of these rules, I restate my question, and ask again:

Does anyone have an OPINION or ADVICE on how to vote on these issues that they can give me WITHOUT endorsing a particular issue or candidate?

Tim, we have had discussions here at the Cove about insiders, etc. that I don't think we need to go through again. That said, I do care about the organization, but do not go to many meetings (distance, cost, and so on). How, then, am I to form an opinion without asking for input from others (rhetorical question)?
Here is my OPINION - I think ASQ should routinely have "contested" elections, and the nomination team should have its rules changed such that they must come up with at least two candidates for every position.

That being said, I intend to ALWAYS vote for a non-ASQ-nominated person in future elections until we finally elect an "outsider" and hopefully they will help push for a change in thinking for nominations and elections.

Tim Folkerts

Super Moderator
I probably should temper my remarks a bit. Last year I was almost ready to commit an act of civil disobedience and public support a candidate just to force debate on the rules. Part of me is still contemplating such a move, but I'm not as determined as I had been on the issue.

I really don't have a particular candidate that I am specifically supporting. My opinion is pretty much in line with Steve - support the "non-establishment" candidate and encourage more discussion about governance, leadership, etc.

I didn't mean to put Wes on the spot - just to point out that the rules are indeed rather restrictive and a strict interpretation would silence just about any discussion of the candidates. Personally, I think that discussion should be encouraged, not discouraged!

I do need to amend my previous statement. The Policies of ASQ DO stipulate that the Nominating Committee can set rules for the elections. However, I'm also 95% certain that such language wasn't in the Policies last year when the rules were set. I thought I had downloaded a copy of that policy last year, but somehow I can't find it any more, so I can't double-check. :(

Tim F

Last edited:
C

Craig H.

It is just those bylaw changes that prompted me to start this thread. I read the ASQ line, voted for them, THEN saw the discussion here. It is an understatement to say that I was irate. I wanted to avoid such a situation again.

Fool me once, shame on you...

Top Bottom