Assessing a Preventive Maintenance Strategy - Reliability or Maintenance Statistics

A

afilak

Good Day,

I am a novice reliability student that is assigned a task to assess Preventive Maintenance strategy of the drive train within a STS Gantry Crane. I have field performance data from 2009-2012 on this repairable. I have data on the expected operating hours of the system as a whole for each month and after a review of the corrective maintenance log I segregated the hours into uptime hours and downtime hours. I have calculated the Availability value of the system from the information.

I have the list of PM tasks and the frequency that it is performed.

I was asked to determine if the freqency of the PM task was an overkill.

Any Advise on a statistical analysis that can help me assess the time and cost savings that can be deived from the above infomaton. Can I correlte the above variables to derive insight into improvements in the maintenance strategy applied to this system?

Also is there an Excel template that I can access that can faciliate the analysis.

I have access to IBM SPSS and SAS JMP. A sample file in the format suitable for these software would also be appreciated

Thanking you in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Maintenance statistics

Basically this is a reliability analysis. You need to accumulate the time between failures. One question is - do they follow an exponential distribution, or show the "bathtub curve". You are especially interested in "Burn Out" - is there some time period after which failure rate increases? If so, this cries out for PM. It is also helpful if you have information on what was the failure mode, and what PM's were expected to prevent that failure. There are many reliability text books out there to help guide this analysis.

A

afilak

Re: Maintenance statistics

Hi Steve

Thank you for setting me on the path towards a methodology to achieve this analysis.

Due to an unrealistic deadline requested by my professor to complete this analysis, I am still hoping for an attached document demonstrating a working example to aid/guideline in my analysis of the this Ship-to-Shore gantry crane maintenance strategy Evaluation (Reliability Analysis); from a member of this forum.

Regards

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R FOD Risk Assessment - What tools would you recommend for assessing FOD risk? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
T Assessing Hazard-Related Use Scenarios where control measures exist through standards IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 32
R Assessing Pipette Calibration Failures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
B Interpreting "misuse" when assessing Hazardous Situations ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
A Escalation to CAPA - Assessing if an NC warrants a CAPA Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
A Assessing Risk for Medical Device Software ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
A Assessing/Mapping Employee Attitude during Competency Mapping (Assessment) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
J Assessing compliance with ISO 13485 Section 6.1 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Assessing the Validity of Previous Measuring Results? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
L Assessing Corrosion Damages on Steel finished externally with Epoxical Paint Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
Mikey324 Assessing Potential Field Failures (TS 16949 Requirements) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
G Assessing Process Capability on Variation (Hardware Adjustment Mean Shift) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
B Assessing a Suppliers Technical Capabilities Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
S Objectives and Targets - Assessing a rate of achieving a goal Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
J Assessing the understanding of occupational health and safety requirements Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
T Assessing actuality to apply ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 12
Douglas E. Purdy Storage & Inventory - Assessing Stock for Deterioration at Planned Intervals 7.5.5.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
B ISO10012:2003 Question - Choosing or assessing the capability of a piece of equipment Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
A Assessing and managing monopolist suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
J Discrepancies - Determine the Magnitude and Assessing the Risk Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
L Internal Auditing & Assessing Effectiveness Internal Auditing 8
L Internal Auditing & Assessing Effectiveness Internal Auditing 8
T Assessing Customer SPECIFIED Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
L Separate Corrective Action and Preventive Action Procedures ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
D Preventive Maintenance vs. General Cleaning ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Help settle a disagreement: Should external providers of preventive maintenance be on your ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Q Determining Adverse Effects of Corrective/Preventive Actions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K Generic preventive maintenance form wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R Non conformance (NC) or Corrective & Preventive action (CAPA) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
C If it doesn't prevent a non-conformance, is it a preventive action? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
S Are there ISO9001:2015 Requirements for Preventive Maintenance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
R Evaluating the need for preventive action Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
GURU SDI Rust preventive oil mixed with kerosene Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
B Stakeholder Initiated Corrective and Preventive Action Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
Jimmy123 FMEA - Preventive vs Detection Control FMEA and Control Plans 7
D Preventive Maintenance Implementation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Minitab tool to evaluate PM (Preventive Maintenance) process Using Minitab Software 6
M Training in 8D Problem Solving as a Preventive Action? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
J If Corrective and Preventive Action were truly Effective IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Preventive Action - confusing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Proactive / Preventive Post Market Surveillance question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q Preventive Action - How to call the prevention when there is not a clause ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Preventive Maintenance Spreadsheet in Excel Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
somashekar The Preventive Action Demystified ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Q Evaluating Effectiveness of a Preventive Action after Closure Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 7
A Preventive Action and Risk Assessment Audit Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 5
K CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) - ISO 13485 Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
J Software and Methods for Tracking CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) items US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A Preventive Action or Corrective Action - Paper cuts Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14