Assessing Process Capability on Variation (Hardware Adjustment Mean Shift)

G

garbagex

Hi All,
I am trying to assess capability on a process that can have adjustment done (hardware mean shift) so the critical parameter is how wide is the spread of data. Each machine produces 1 subgroup of 50 data points with summary mean and stdev statistics. Each machine must pass bilateral +/- limits on the variation=3 sigma and the mean is for reference only.

Before embarking on improvement activities, I need to have a proper and correct understanding of the current capability of this process and I need your advice on what would be a proper way to do this (process is in control and data is normal). What is important to me is to make sure the spread does not exceed the limits as I can always bring any mean shift back through adjustment.

1. I think calculating Cpk by using each subgroup mean value as 1 data point is wrong. By doing so, we lose the within subgroup variation component.
2. Calculating Cpk from variation= 3 sigma with limits 0 and USL is wrong as well as this is calculating variation of the variation, if you get what I mean.
3. The nearest logical measurement that I can think of to only report the Cp instead so we know the spread relative to the tolerance. By using the between/within formulas I can come up with summary Cp values that makes use of each subgroups' mean and stdev, without losing valuable data.

Pardon the long writeup above, I hope my description of the problem provides enough details for discussion.
Please comment if what I am doing is correct, or if you think there is a better or more accurate way to assessing a spec that controls variation. Thanks in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Barbara B

Re: Assessing capability on variation

Could you please provide some data? It gets much easier to give a precise answer if we could take a look at it :)

Thanks,

Barbara

G

garbagex

Hi Barbara,
Here are some sample data as requested. The parameter of interest is S, S_Avg and S_Stdev are the raw data from each individual unit, while the computed S_Var (=3*S_Stdev) is used to determine pass/fail. These are data from an early batch with some outliers, so please ignore the control and normality as I just want to check the methodology.

I'm doing this by method 3 mentioned in my earlier post. I have added formula to crunch between/within capability by re-interpreting the variation limits (LSL 0 USL 4) to S limits (LSL -2 USL 2).

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Barbara B

Thanks for the data.

If you're only interested in the spread, every capability index with a "k" is useless as it takes spread and deviation into account.

But what I don't understand is your method of estimating the variation using the between-within-approach. The variation between subgroups is caused by differences between the means - and you're not interested in this because differences in means could be adjusted (if I've understand your goal correctly).

Is there a special cause why you don't use a more common subgroup variation formula like the pooled standard deviation?

Regards,

Barbara

G

garbagex

Hmm that is a good logical question indeed. I started off with the 'normal' or within way of calculating capability by using only sigma.within for Cp/Cpk. Then after discussion with some colleagues we think it's better to do between/within which gives us a more complete picture of the total production variation.

Now that you mentioned it, it does make more sense to calculate within capability only as each individual unit are adjusted differently on their own. Hence the between component does not matter subsequently.

Yet another question if you may, should I be assessing Cpk AFTER adjustment to see how good is the actual adjustment to nominal?

Does this assessment flow make sense: raw production (within Cp) -> adjustment (between/within Cpk)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Assessing Hazard-Related Use Scenarios where control measures exist through standards IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 14
R Assessing Pipette Calibration Failures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
B Interpreting "misuse" when assessing Hazardous Situations ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
A Escalation to CAPA - Assessing if an NC warrants a CAPA Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
A Assessing Risk for Medical Device Software ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
A Assessing/Mapping Employee Attitude during Competency Mapping (Assessment) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
J Assessing compliance with ISO 13485 Section 6.1 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
A Assessing a Preventive Maintenance Strategy - Reliability or Maintenance Statistics Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
D Assessing the Validity of Previous Measuring Results? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
L Assessing Corrosion Damages on Steel finished externally with Epoxical Paint Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
Mikey324 Assessing Potential Field Failures (TS 16949 Requirements) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
B Assessing a Suppliers Technical Capabilities Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
S Objectives and Targets - Assessing a rate of achieving a goal Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
J Assessing the understanding of occupational health and safety requirements Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
T Assessing actuality to apply ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 12
Douglas E. Purdy Storage & Inventory - Assessing Stock for Deterioration at Planned Intervals 7.5.5.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
B ISO10012:2003 Question - Choosing or assessing the capability of a piece of equipment Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
A Assessing and managing monopolist suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
J Discrepancies - Determine the Magnitude and Assessing the Risk Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
L Internal Auditing & Assessing Effectiveness Internal Auditing 8
L Internal Auditing & Assessing Effectiveness Internal Auditing 8
T Assessing Customer SPECIFIED Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
C Refreshing an old and boring topic - Job descriptions and Roles vs Process Documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C OEE and In-process Inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Effective nonconforming process for AS9100 8.7 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
T ISO 13485 - Process validation at critical suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K Software Validation for Measurement Tools used in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
I Release checklist EO sterilization process Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
V Informational SMMT IATF Oversight - OEM KPI Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Design Control Procedures later in the Development Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Process Mapping - Inputs/Outputs/Detail Activities/Control points/Measurement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
D Social Media Feedback process for Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Images of Product for Automated Process - How long to keep? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
J Where to Place Process Maps in our Documentation? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
B Supplier of design and manufacture process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G Devices from IQ, OQ or PQ process to be used for verification, validation and summative? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Pmarszal External Standards and Regulations Management Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
A Design process goal for ISO 9001 Manufacturing and Related Processes 23
S Process Map for Supplier Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
A UDI and Design Controls - Labeling change via the Design Control process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
K Procedure equals a process? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 21