Assigning the Correct Procedures Applicable to Job Titles

krapow

Starting to get Involved
I'm the management rep for a small (35 employees) job shop. The previous rep kept a skills matrix and assigned specific procedures for all the different job titles in the shop. We have 17 procedures and 15 different job titles. I find it very confusing as to which specific procedures to assign to each job title. Is this at all even necessary? I'm not sure if it is an ISO requirement or not? Any opinions, suggestions? Thanks.
Bill

bkirch

Involved In Discussions
I'm the management rep for a small (35 employees) job shop. The previous rep kept a skills matrix and assigned specific procedures for all the different job titles in the shop. We have 17 procedures and 15 different job titles. I find it very confusing as to which specific procedures to assign to each job title. Is this at all even necessary? I'm not sure if it is an ISO requirement or not? Any opinions, suggestions? Thanks.
Bill
There is such a thing a over documentation. Without knowing the specifics of your process I am not sure if this is the case or not at your facility. Assuming you are talking about ISO 9001, there are a few requirements that you might want to think about which are ISO 7.2(Competence) and ISO 8.5.1(Control of production and service provision). For ISO 7.2, how do you ensure that person(s) doing the work are competent? For ISO 8.5.1, how do you ensure that you are operating under controlled conditions as is described in section 8.5.1?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Bill
I think you need to be concerned not with procedures (written documents) but with processes. Presumably you've identified the QMS processes, and responsibility and authority has been assigned for each of them. In a company of 35 people it shouldn't be difficult to document those things. Please remember both parts of "responsibility and authority." Much fear and loathing can result from assigning responsibility without the necessary authority.

krapow

Starting to get Involved
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, we are ISO 9001:2015 certified. It was Clause 7.2 and competence/training that got me to delve into my predecessor's web of procedures welded to job descriptions in the first place. We have 4 or 5 machine programmers (Mastercam) who are responsible for overseeing the machine operators of the mills and lathes. I guess you could say the procedures are "linked to the processes" which is why the job titles are "linked to the procedures." I just couldn't figure out the logic behind an office assistant and say, "Monitoring & Measurement of Product." Almost like he thought, when in doubt, just add the procedure to the job description.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Howdy,

FWIW...my old company did the same thing. It started with a matrix in XL, then moved to a database for Doc Control and Initial Training needs.

For initial training on hire...it was quite helpful (for our 1500 documents). A simple find for position and out pops a list.
After initial training, it was so useless no one looked at it again. We cross-trained to processes, not positions.
After 5yrs...no one used it at all since it was not kept up to date.

For only 17 procedures...assuming 17 processes...I would pitch the title matrix. It's easy enough to just use my brain.

A side note: Linking processes to job titles starts falling apart pretty quickly if you value cross-training. Either that or everyone will have a different job title. I found it easier to simply identify the employee, and the processes...then simply log which processes (including associated docs) each employee was trained to. Job titles were linked to salary ranges and "feel good" stuff. HTH

krapow

Starting to get Involved
So what you are saying Ninja, is identify the employee and state his or her skills. When you say processes, would that be all-encompassing like, lathe, mill, grinder operator, or in general, just list manufacturing? The deeper one goes into ISO it seems like the nearer one is to crush depth.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
krakow,

Competence is the sum of abilities, skills and knowledge to do the work well; more that just skills so think ASK.

The work itself is the process. Processes though, usually comprise connected tasks so manufacturing is one of your processes.

For each order, manufacturing will comprise a specified combination of tasks completed by operators who have demonstrated their competence.

A competent lathe operator, for example, needs no documented procedure; their procedure ican remain undocumented but it’s useful for everyone to be familiar with what happens before and after their work.

So, apportioning documented procedures according to job title may insult the intelligence of competent workers. Hive off any over documentation to your training manual.

krapow

Starting to get Involved
krakow,

Competence is the sum of abilities, skills and knowledge to do the work well; more that just skills so think ASK.

The work itself is the process. Processes though, usually comprise connected tasks so manufacturing is one of your processes.

For each order, manufacturing will comprise a specified combination of tasks completed by operators who have demonstrated their competence.

A competent lathe operator, for example, needs no documented procedure; their procedure ican remain undocumented but it’s useful for everyone to be familiar with what happens before and after their work.

So, apportioning documented procedures according to job title may insult the intelligence of competent workers. Hive off any over documentation to your training manual.

krapow

Starting to get Involved
OK all thank you. I just want to keep it simple. But should processes be listed like so:

sales - planning - receiving - manufacturing - inspection - shipping

Top Bottom