SBS - The best value in QMS software

Assignment of Special Characteristics to government regulations

F

franmcca

In my company there is a difference of opinion about assigning a special characteristics to government regulations (ie; , FMVSS 108 for US, or REACH for EU), or safety (FMVSS 302) if the customer has not assigned a special character. We all agree that it is probably in our best interest to do so, but looking for whether or not it is "Mandated" by ISO, IATF, or AIAG or any other regulatory body. Looking for how other companies address this issue.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
What is your process for identification of special characteristics? IATF 16949, 8.3.3.3 "The organization shall use a multidisciplinary approach to establish, document, and implement its process(es) to identify special characteristics, including those determined by the customer and the risk analysis performed by the organization, and shall include the following:"

It sounds like you have, at least a few, special characteristics already identified by your company. Since you have identified some safety and compliance realted items, why not identify them as a special characteristic? In my opinion it would only be helpful. You most likely already monitor these (IATF 8.3.3.3b). Adding increased awareness of their importance (FMEA, Control Plan, checksheets, etc) seems logical.

F

franmcca

Yes, we have identified, and are monitoring several special characteristics. Upper management is asking for whether or not ISO, IATF, or AIAG or any other regulatory body specifically designates that the "Organization" (my company) assign some specific character, such as 1551304616277.png to a regulatory (FMVSS 108, ECE) or safety (FMVSS 302) characteristic. I have read the standards six ways to Sunday and have not found any such "mandate". But the question keeps coming up. Maybe this question is just a sanity check for me to make sure I am not missing anything in the standards. Checking in with a larger sample size of the quality professional population :)

Again, we do have our internal process for identifying spec chars, and always assign per customer requirements.

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
I completely understand. Also, in the Quality field, a sanity check is unnecessary, as we all must be crazy...

As a company, you can identify special characteristics any way you want, as long as the customer doesn't specify. We actually us an *. It gets the job done for us. No questions from our customer and it was completely acceptable during our IATF audits. I hope this helps!

GRP

Involved In Discussions
In my company there is a difference of opinion about assigning a special characteristics to government regulations (ie; , FMVSS 108 for US, or REACH for EU), or safety (FMVSS 302) if the customer has not assigned a special character. We all agree that it is probably in our best interest to do so, but looking for whether or not it is "Mandated" by ISO, IATF, or AIAG or any other regulatory body. Looking for how other companies address this issue.
To contribute to your benchmarking, have a look at what Ford says:

Special Characteristics are those product or process characteristics (CC, SC, OS, and HI) that affect vehicle or process safety, compliance
with government regulations, customer satisfaction, or process operation.

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
The government requirements are a Severity level 10 rating in the AIAG FMEA blue book, requiring an inverted delta or CC depending on the customer's PFMEA standards. My experience with Ford is these are called out on drawings and SCAAFs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Informational Commission Implementing Decision (EU) 2019/939 of 6 June 2019 designating issuing entities designated to operate a system for the assignment of Unique Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Z UDI assignment Criteria Software IVDR Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S Lot assignment for secondary reference standard - Pharmaceuticals Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
G NIST SOP 29 - Assignment of Uncertainty - Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
K Taguchi School Assignment using an L8 Orthogonal spreadsheet tool Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
I Six Sigma Assignment Problem - Case Study: Productivity Improvement Six Sigma 2
V 18001 2nd stage 3rd party Top Management Questions (Training Assignment) General Auditing Discussions 8
V Being sidelined in the team, not being selected for an assignment. Career and Occupation Discussions 4
H Part Number Assignment, Should be coded or Random? Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
A Interesting Discussion My Class Assignment on Quality Assurance Gurus Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 60
A Lot Number Assignment for Incoming Purchased Products and Customer Supplied Material Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P Definition Lean Manufacturing - Definitions of (thesis assignment) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
B Assignment of responsibilities outside of procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M School Assignment: QS-9000 vs. ISO Standards QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 7
A 6.2.1 Assignment of Personnel - Applicable education, training, skills and experience ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Techilady Ford Special Characteristics Communication and Agreement Form (SCCAF) provides production requirements? FMEA and Control Plans 4
R Critical Characteristics & Special Characteristics FMEA and Control Plans 2
P Letter to file or special 510k or traditional 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S OEM full range calibrations vs Validation special test points Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G Special 510K possible? Only the packaging has changed Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
S Special 510(k) for orthopedic implant 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
N Riveting - special process Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
H AS9100D clause 8.5.1 f) & 8.5.1 g) - Special Processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
C AIAG-VDA PFMEA - 1st special Characteristics? [5step vs. 6step] FMEA and Control Plans 3
J 1.11 Preliminary Identification of Special Product and Process Characteristics APQP and PPAP 4
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
Y What are different Special Inspection Level 1-4 and General spesification 1-3 ? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
L Special Processes for SERVICES AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
K PSA Special characteristics Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
Watchcat Advantages to pursuing a Special 510(k) instead of a Traditional 510(k) Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
qualprod Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Special 510(K) - Labeling change from Rx to OTC Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
M Special Controls and Class II Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 18
A ISO 10993-7:2008/ Amd.1:2019 - Classification of special populations Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
H SPC for special characteristics - CSR - Control of SC and CC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L Special Processes - Technical reason concerning torque - Anaerobic compounds Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Special Premarket Notification [510(k)] Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Replacement Bone Screws - Traditional 510(k) or Special 510(k)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
qualprod ISO 9001:2015 8.5.1 f - Scope with customer special process requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
J ISO 13485 - 7.5.2 cleanliness , 6.4.2 validation of special processes, and 6.4.2 contamination ability to be exempt? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Injection Moulding Process (Special Process) Validation Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
S The key differences in 510k types - Traditional vs. Abbreviated vs. Special US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
D I'm new in IMDS special using the IMDS application Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
S VW Special status condition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Letter to file vs Special 510 for additional accessory in orthopaedic kit Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
P Special 510(k) - Modified Medical Device Description Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
P V&V for Special 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
F CQI-23 Special Process Molding - Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B AS9100 - Are special process suppliers required to be NADCAP accredited? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
A Non-destructive testing methods are special processes? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18