Assistance with perpendicularity measurement

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Reaching out to the rest of the group for some ideas/concepts on how to measure perpendicularity in a thin-walled tube end.

I am currently measuring this feature using a (manual) CMM, and have identified that the R&R is a huge factor - analysis of this problem has indicated that this is inherent in the limitations of our equipment (manual operation vs NC operation), error in centralizing measurement points on the thin wall, etc.

As a temporary solution I have implemented an attribute gauge which is effective, however I would (ideally) like to be able to present variable data, to be able to show levels of improvement in the manufacturing process, rather than just 'better', 'worse', or 'the same'.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to how this could be better evaluated. The depth of the -A- datum cylinder is 25mm, tube OD is 60mm, and wall thickness is 1.2mm.

1648821492351.png 1648821492351.png

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
How are you currently constructing your datum A? How many points per circle, how many circles for the cylinder? Using a datum simulator for the cylinder or the part itself?

Ron Rompen

How are you currently constructing your datum A? How many points per circle, how many circles for the cylinder? Using a datum simulator for the cylinder or the part itself?
Datum cylinder is constructed of 8 points taken on two levels. Datum plane is constructed of 6 points, at approximately 60° separation. it's not an ideal method, but it is what is realistically acheivable given time constraints, operator skill levels, etc.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Would it be possible to fixture the part in a datum simulator and use that instead of the part?

Ron Rompen

Would it be possible to fixture the part in a datum simulator and use that instead of the part?
That is one idea that I've been working on - the design of the part makes it difficult to make a datum simulator that would allow rotation of the part to evaluate the entire B datum surface. But i do appreciate the input.

Welshwizard

Involved In Discussions
Would the design of the part make it difficult to use a high quality bevel protractor to sample in at least a couple of places?

John Predmore

Could you use an Optical Comparator or other optical technology? I realize you can only visualize one diametric silhouette per viewing. If the tube is out-of-round, from bending perhaps, you may know where the major and minor lobes are and chose a radial orientation appropriately.

Ron Rompen

Would the design of the part make it difficult to use a high quality bevel protractor to sample in at least a couple of places?
The size of the part and the part design prevents me from getting an accurate measurement with that method. And a precision instrument like that is the LAST thing I want to put out on the floor if I can help it. Thanks for your suggestion though.

Ron Rompen

Could you use an Optical Comparator or other optical technology? I realize you can only visualize one diametric silhouette per viewing. If the tube is out-of-round, from bending perhaps, you may know where the major and minor lobes are and chose a radial orientation appropriately.
Don't have an Optical Comparator, and with the current sales forecast I don't see being able to get one approved for quite some time unfortunately.

Welshwizard

Involved In Discussions
Bearing in mind the specification and what you have already stated;

Understanding it's the inverse of the datum structure but what if you placed the component on the pipe face and used a small square to measure the lack of perp around datum A in conjunction with feeler gauges?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Need assistance with documents CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
K Technical file for MHRA - looking for assistance with self declaration Class I device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
G IMS (Integrated Management System) 9001, 14001 & 45001- Request Assistance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Marc Dozuki Emergency Assistance Program (EAP) - 30-3-2020 World News 1
S NADCAP approval for Conventional Machining and Chemical processes - need assistance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
S Need Assistance in Visual Inspection - Tiny electronic components AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
W Design Control Assistance required ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
O Guidance and/or assistance on Transition to AS9100 Rev D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
C Need assistance with ISO 9001 Certification Approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Ron Rompen Document Flow Chart Assistance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
P Customer Complaint Preventive Action Assistance Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
Icy Mountain VDA 6.3 Audit Assistance Request VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 9
B Assistance in filling out an Appearance Approval Report for PPAP Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
Ron Rompen Assistance Needed in Calculation - How to extrapolate/calculate points on a curve Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
T Assistance with a Cable Issue Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
E Need assistance with Complaint Management Database Customer Complaints 3
D Purchasing Procedure Manual Assistance needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A Supplier Quality Plan for Service Providers - Assistance and advice wanted Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
R Requesting assistance on a company wide training program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
J Assistance on ISO14001 - Preliminary assessment of my Environmental Legal Register ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
B Need Assistance for Implementing ISO 9001 in our organisation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
8 Simulated Factory - Assistance in simulation of a factory with a view to improving it Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
BradM Wikipedia asking for financial assistance World News 5
P ISO 14001 Structure and assistance ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
W TL 9000 5.4.1 Audit checklist assistance TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 1
I ISO 9001:2000 Implementation Project: How to find assistance (training, consulting)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 54
Q Statement of Continual Quality Commitment - Seeking Assistance Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 7
RoxaneB Operations Management SPC Homework - Assistance Required, Please! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
T ISO 14001 EMS Software Assistance and Recommendations Please ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 12
R Update to ISO13485 / 14969 - Request for assistance from ISO/TC210 Working Group ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Need assistance on how to generate Change Notices for Vendors and tracking APQP and PPAP 0
O Need Assistance in understanding AS9100 Rev.B AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
A Are you an SQE / STA (Supplier Quality Engineer / Technical Assistance) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 31
Ron Rompen Attribute Gage Study Assistance - Drop gauge - 2 gauges, used by 4 operators Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Q Requesting Assistance with EU Customs Question Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
S Need assistance in GD&T and Design of checking fixtures, gauges Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
K Need Assistance Interpreting Gage R&R Data - Stylus profilometer Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
L Customer Satisfaction Survey Assistance Requested Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 12
J Parallelism, Perpendicularity and Concentricity Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
F How to convert inches to degrees - Inspecting the perpendicularity of 2 lines Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M GD&T (ANSI Y14.5) Perpendicularity Callouts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
F Besides using the CMM - Checking perpendicularity between a plane and an OD Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
F SPC Data Analysis - Excel Spreadsheet I can use for Diameters and Perpendicularity Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
J Perpendicularity-Axis and Plane - Perpendicularity call-out on the print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
J Perpendicularity Callout on a Print - GD&T Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Adjustable Shaft for a Test Fixture to Test Perpendicularity Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
B How to calculate Cpk on Perpendicularity (Cyl Tol Zone at MMC) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 32
S Feature perpendicularity dimension should be good up to how many decimal points? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
K CMM Filter Settings - Measuring perpendicularity and concentricity Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
D Checking Perpendicularity without using a CMM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7