ASTM E165 Liquid Penetrant Equivalent

D

dickgent

I have many customers and many international standard requirements. Are ANY the following equivalent for detecting flaws, cracks, inclusions in steel and welds? I s anyone aware of a matrix for comparative analysis? Or let's start a discussion, can one be created?

This from WIKI:

Wikipedia reference-linkDye_penetrant_inspection

Standards

International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
ISO 3059, Non-destructive testing - Penetrant testing and magnetic particle testing - Viewing conditions
ISO 3452-1, Non-destructive testing. Penetrant testing. Part 1. General principles
ISO 3452-2, Non-destructive testing - Penetrant testing - Part 2: Testing of penetrant materials
ISO 3452-3, Non-destructive testing - Penetrant testing - Part 3: Reference test blocks
ISO 3452-4, Non-destructive testing - Penetrant testing - Part 4: Equipment
ISO 3452-5, Non-destructive testing - Penetrant testing - Part 5: Penetrant testing at temperatures higher than 50 °C
ISO 3452-6, Non-destructive testing - Penetrant testing - Part 6: Penetrant testing at temperatures lower than 10 °C
ISO 12706, Non-destructive testing - Penetrant testing - Vocabulary
ISO 23277, Non-destructive testing of welds - Penetrant testing of welds - Acceptance levels
European Committee for Standardization (CEN)
EN 571-1, Non-destructive testing - Penetrant testing - Part 1: General principles. May be replaced by EN ISO 3452-1.
EN 1371-1, Founding - Liquid penetrant inspection - Part 1: Sand, gravity die and low pressure die castings
EN 1371-2, Founding - Liquid penetrant inspection - Part 2: Investment castings
EN 2002-16, Aerospace series - Metallic materials; test methods - Part 16: Non-destructive testing, penetrant testing
EN 10228-2, Non-destructive testing of steel forgings - Part 2: Penetrant testing
EN 10246-11, Non-destructive testing of steel tubes - Part 11: Liquid penetrant testing of seamless and welded steel tubes for the detection of surface imperfections
ASTM International (ASTM)
ASTM E 165, Standard Practice for Liquid Penetrant Examination for General Industry
ASTM E 1417, Standard Practice for Liquid Penetrant Testing
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section V, Art. 6, Liquid Penetrant Examination
ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section V, Art. 24 Standard Test Method for Liquid Penetrant Examination SE-165 (identical with ASTM E-165)

All Help is appreciated:bigwave:

M

michaelrm

NDT code PT
see the following link for a few more details:
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/235694/

These tests are normally carried out by 3rd party Inspection service providers, looks for surface defects and weld defects as well - depending on the dye penetrate used.

I can discuss/assist you if required in this area if needed, my responses may be slow and coming but will try and assist.

Question to you -

do you have welders working for your organisation?

which industry type is your organisation in?

Cheers

D

dickgent

Thanks for the reply... sorry for the response delay. I too don't get many opportunities to visit the site.

Yes we have certified welders on site with WPS; PQR; and material certifications. We engineer Large processing lines for a worldwide client base. I do not want to create a separate set of standard requirements for each client in their own country of origin (JIS; EN; DIN; CE; SAE; etc. etc. ) This test (minimum requirement for piping) is just one of many examples of why I need an authority to provide equivalent international standard recommendations. Thank You for your response.

M

michaelrm

We operate in the same industry sector, I would recommend a 3rd party inspection service that can provide the expertise required to guide you in creating and maintaining your standards, for example http://www.ndeglobal.com/home.html is one of many in operation (I have nothing to do with NDE but have used them in past).

What I have done is to concentrate on all the global standards and build up a library over time, ignoring the client to point and just concentrating on the global standard, this way a template is created that can be adjusted to fit any clients requirements.

Does your organisation have a procedure/process to track each weld in regard to the weld traceability, and the allocation and tracking of materials consumed in the manufacturing process. As well as the maintaining of the welder qualifications to ensure that all welders are qualified to perform to the clients standard?.

D

dickgent

Yes, We have certified welders, WPS's, PQRs, and My QC Inspector will be certified to ASNT Level II in the fall. I have many of the standards and have done comparisons between some international standards but I would more confident with some outside agency providing the analysis rather than my own interpretation. Some standard organizations specifically reference compatibility (CE to ASME; ASME to AWS; etc ) but not in any great detail. I guess my hope for an all inclusive comparison and compatibility matrix is just that .... A HOPE. Thanks for all of the replies

Best Regards
dickgent

M

michaelrm

Hope is all we ever have, what I have done is like I said created a full library over time for all specification and use that as a reference.

Screen dump of the weld specification library system - attached

All the best

Attachments

• weldspeclib.jpg
    weldspeclib.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 435
Top Bottom