ASTM specs - Control and Update of Documents of External Origin

S

SteelWoman

ASTM specs - Need some creative thinking

I'm stuck in a box on this issue and can't figure out what to do.... we were internal auditing our Tech Services process yesterday and talking about Tech's participation in the Order Preview process, wherein tech takes a new order - which for us typically will have the customer outlining things like gauge range, mechanical range, chemistry range, etc - and the customer MAY also note at the end, "per ASTM spec E-XXX" or whatever. I asked the tech guy how he checks that and he says he has a copy of the ASTM spec, which led me to the question, "How do you know that copy is the most current version of that spec?" He couldn't say. He added that ASTM specs and others get updated but tech here did not routinely check to see if they had the current copy or not.

To further complicate this issue, as a cost-cutting method our corporate office decided last year or so that they would no longer purchase copies of the specs for each division, but that one person at corporate would be the "Keeper o' the Specs" and the company would purchase one CD copy - if anyone wanted a copy of a spec they email her and she sends a copy. In investigating this issue from yesterday I was trying to think of a way to ensure our guys are using the most current copy and I asked the corp person how often she gets updated specs - she reported 1-3 PER WEEK!!

I have "old school" metallurgists who can practically quote an ASTM spec for 1006 steel in their sleep and just plain ARE NOT going to cotton (that's a southern expression I can explain if necessary) to having to call corporate every time they review an order to make sure the spec they are referencing is current. It's not going to happen. So I have to figure out something else.

Any good ideas out there?? I am stumped..... :truce:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

tomvehoski

I know there are services you can subscribe to that monitor the specification world and update you any time one you use is updated. I can't remember names of the companies right now, but can probably do a search.

You could have corporate subscribe to such a service (or manually check periodically) and then update everyone down the chain. An easier method might be to have corporate put everything on a server that everyone has access to - then updates will be automatic.

It is acceptable to say that updates are made by corporate and that each individual does not need to verify every spec every time.

Tom

S

SteelWoman

I questioned corporate about updating the divisions when they receive updates - the answer was no we don't and no we won't. :mg:

S

SteelWoman

AL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I HAD a first born to offer up to you in thanks I would hand her over!! You just saved me life.

Thank goodness for the Cove!

While I'm handing out my non-existent first born, does anyone know if there are similar FREE services for JIS and SAE specs? :lmao:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Al Rosen said:
ASTM has a free tracking service that will alert you by e-mail when a standard or spec is changed. Why not integrate that into the system?
Good job, Al, you beat me to it. That's what happens when I take some time off the Cove to do my job, lol.

Also, the global link you were given should give you what you need, that is the one that I've used.

L

little__cee

Cotton?

When you have time, I'd like to learn the meaning of "going to cotton" -- born and raised in Pennsylvania - that is a new one to me.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
little__cee said:
When you have time, I'd like to learn the meaning of "going to cotton" -- born and raised in Pennsylvania - that is a new one to me.
Webster's:
Main Entry: <SUP>2</SUP>cotton
Function: intransitive verb
Inflected Form(s): cot·toned; cot·ton·ing /<TT>'kät-ni[ng], 'ka-t<SUP>&</SUP>n-i[ng]</TT>/
Date: 1605
1 : to take a liking -- used with to <cottons to people easily>
2 : to come to understand -- used with to or on to <cottoned on to the fact that our children work furiously -- H. M. McLuhan>

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Moumen H Variations between ASTM A29 Standard for steel bars and Mill test certificates specs Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
G S30100 steel bar spec - related specs, ASTM or AMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L ASTM F88 Seal Strength of pouches - amount samples per pouch (discussion) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
C Producing to Inactive ASTM and IEC Standards Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
B ASTM, Steel HEat traceability and mixing at distributors/reprocessors Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
C Calibration Procedures and ASTM CALIBRATION standard General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
B ASTM A53 Marking of length on recut pipes by processor Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
S ASTM F86 x Biocompatibility Issues Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
C MIL STD vs ASTM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M ASTM F1717 Static and Dynamic Testing 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K ASME, ANSI, ASTM and similar specifications and their requirements for document control. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
S ASTM F2077-18 vs ASTM F2077-03 Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
M Packaging standards - ASTM vs ISTA Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Label Making & Printing Standards ISO / ASTM ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Packaging studies - ISTA vs ASTM CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
N Database that lists labs accredited to ASTM / ANSI standards Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
E ASTM F2118 - Fatigue testing of bone cement - Changes between the 2003 and the 2014? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
B ASTM E18-2020 - Rockwell testing standard changes? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
H Difference between Stainless Steel 316 ASTM F899 and ASTM A276 Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
P What ASTM std is EC 93/42 MDD EQUIVALENT TO CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
W ASTM F1929 dye penetration test - Validation for in-house testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
D ASTM C1064 Temperature Measuring Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Troubleshooting Salt Spray (ASTM B117) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
P Average Peel Strength - Interpretation of BS EN 868-5:2018 and ASTM F0088/F0088M Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
B ASTM F2924-14 /ASTM F3001 - Room temperature classification criteria Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Package Integrity Test ASTM F 2096 or ASTM 1929 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
M Aluminum - What is the difference between 6061-T6 and 6061-T651 (both per ASTM B211)? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
M Accelerated Ageing Test for Orthopedic Implants -- ASTM F 1980 or ISO 11607 or both are applicable ? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
B Stability testing of medical devices as per ASTM F1980-16 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M ASTM A6 Material Standard - Section Nominal Sizes Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Real-time-aging Validation - ISO / ASTM Standard - Class 111 Orthopedic Implant Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
D Non ASTM Partial Immersion LGT emergent stem correction General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
2 ASTM or ISO Specifications on Prints Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
M ASTM F 75-12 - Tensile properties Product castings ( 7.1 ) vs Casting alloys ( 7.2) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
X Heat Treat - Verifying mechanical properties on heat treated material per the ASTM Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M ISO / ASTM standards for Sampling Plans for Medical Devices Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M Are ASTM F745 & ASTM F75 still valid? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Q M-282 - Engineering Standard for Tolerances - Is it ASTM, DIN? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Correlation between ASTM & China's GB (Guobiao) / YY Standards China Medical Device Regulations 4
Ron Rompen Water Immersion Testing ASTM D870 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
E ASTM D3951 Part Marking Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M ASTM Stainless Steel Density Table Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
S ASTM-D4000 & FORD "ZW" Call-Outs Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S ASTM-1965-98 (Reapproved 2009) has contradictory requirements? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
P ASTM-F2096 Medical Package Testing Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
T ISO 2409 / ASTM D3359 Paint Adhesion Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
T ISO/BS/DIN/EN/ASTM - Standards Equivalencies Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
Q ASTM Specification Revision Changes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A Coke Reactivity Index (CRI) Testing Code Interpretation: ASTM D5341-99 (2004) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
P ASTM Standard, Stainless Steel angle that has been rejected because it is not ?square Manufacturing and Related Processes 2