Attitudes and Intimidation in Elsmar Cove forum Posts

energy said:
An example: When I first discovered the Cove, I searched for why everyone used the terms Level/Tier 1, 2, 3 for documents.
. . .
I don't want to start it up again, PLEASE!!! But, we can't allow ourselves to be intimidated by those that profess to have the answers unless they have the proof. To me, it was common sense to do the search before posting.
. . .
I guess what bothers me the most is someone thinking they are the first person to ask a question, as if only they thought of it, without trying to do the search first. :p
Are you telling us, Energy, you really do NOT want more input about nomenclature of "tiers" and "levels"?

How will all we "self-coronated Kings and Queens of Quality" be able to exist without willing acolytes gratefully gobbling our Pearls of Wisdom?

Please, O Please, Energy. Ask some questions and repeat loudly, "I believe in Quality Mavens! I believe in Quality Mavens!" so we, too, like Tinker Bell, can survive.

(Now that I've written this - I originally intended it to be humorously sarcastic, but maybe it's too much like "kidding on the square"! I really DO like to answer questions when I can.)

E

energy

Re: Responding to Posts

Wes Bucey said:
Please, O Please, Energy. Ask some questions and repeat loudly, "I believe in Quality Mavens! I believe in Quality Mavens!" so we, too, like Tinker Bell, can survive.

(Now that I've written this - I originally intended it to be humorously sarcastic, but maybe it's too much like "kidding on the square"! I really DO like to answer questions when I can.)
:topic:
Okay Wes,
Let's hear it. But, please, start a new thread under control of documents or some other insignificant area. Maybe Miscellaneous. After all, you were not here, then, to bestow your pearls of wisdom on us novices. Maybe you can change my mind. :bonk: I remember being completely sated. :vfunny: Go for it! :agree:
Document Description: Level and Tier

Last edited by a moderator:

energy said:
But, we can't allow ourselves to be intimidated by those that profess to have the answers unless they have the proof.
This is along the lines of my original post. The key word is "intimidated". In many cases, newbees and lurkers questions are are met with an apparent attitude like they were asking "stupid" questions (of course there are those of us - like me- that are skilled at asking stupid questions).

Tom W

Living the Dream...

db said:
In many cases, newbees and lurkers questions are are met with an apparent attitude like they were asking "stupid" questions (of course there are those of us - like me- that are skilled at asking stupid questions).
What do you mean "stupid questions"? :biglaugh:

I could not resist that one!!! :biglaugh:

E

energy

db said:
This is along the lines of my original post. The key word is "intimidated". In many cases, newbees and lurkers questions are met with an apparent attitude like they were asking "stupid" questions (of course there are those of us - like me- that are skilled at asking stupid questions).
I disagree. An apparent attitude in whose eyes? Many cases? Where? A little while ago, before the purge, there was some arrogance in some posts. But that came from preaching on high and was not intentionally directed at newbees or lurkers. It was directed at everyone. :vfunny: Intimidation is only in the mind of the easily intimidated. Some people are too frightened to go outside. :truce:

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
Re: Responding to Questions by 'Newbies': Attitude and Intimidation

I split this off from the 'details - template' thread because it sorta took us off topic.

Personally, I think most of us answer questions pretty well. It is true we went through a lot of 'idocy' before the last 'purge', but I think we've come out of it better than we were. There is a lot less "This is the way and it's the only way" - which I was as guilty of as many others were.

If you 'old' folks remember, we scared several people away through the bickering that erupted from time to time.

I think the attitude of the users and visitors today is much different, and much better, than it has been since late 1999 or 2000. It's calmer, less confrontational, more disciplined (if you will).

We've practically eliminated politics and offensive posts, even in the coffee break forum. I think the forums needed that shakeup.

Bigfoot

Involved - Posts
Gosh Marc, It almost sounds as though the Cove Forums have become "Politically Correct". :D But I would also like to add, as one of those on again off again lurkers, that this place & / or this profession is not for the timid. If you have thin skin you are going to have problems. :bigwave:

J

J Oliphant

thin skin

Bigfoot said:
Gosh Marc, It almost sounds as though the Cove Forums have become "Politically Correct". :D But I would also like to add, as one of those on again off again lurkers, that this place & / or this profession is not for the timid. If you have thin skin you are going to have problems. :bigwave:
Ok, but I've got a comment about that. I was just pondering the value of participating here; and rudeness (in my opinion) detracts greatly the pleasure and usefulness of this whole forum.

you can call a hollow argument, or a misinformed decision misinformed. But people are not to be attacked. we go here in part to contribute in a professional level, and we need to be respected as professionals.

One of the internets great downfalls, is that you are too insulated from the community that you are speaking to. I might never personally meet Steve prevette, wes brucy, Bill pflanz, Mike S, etc (Honest I'd mention you all, if I could :lol: ). But as I write I am speaking to you. My own behavior should reflect that my audience has both dedicated seekers of the truth and masters of great knowledge, that might be able to build upon your own understanding. and this basic humility and respect should stick with you whether you've written doctrinal dissertations of statistical distributions or you just struggle to spell deming.

I strongly believe there are no such things as stupid questions, but sometimes there are complex answers. And us newby's deserve respect as we seek answers...

Top Bottom