Attribute Charting - Where does Cp and Cpk come into the equation?

M

mike101338

Let me start by saying statistics is something fairly new to me. Let me give some background on how we inspect to make sure I am moving in the right direction.

All inspections we perform is on a pass / fail method. We track our bad product as defective, not defects. Run quantities and sample size quanities are variable.

I am using a p chart to track the data. Once graphed I can show stability. I am struggling with how I demonstrate capability. Is this where Cp and Cpk come into the equation? If so, how?

Defining what the USL and LSL is an unknown to me. I am assuming the LSL is 0, as you can not have less than 0 defects. However when I enter this into the Cpk analysis it shows that I am out of spec on the low side. Not possible as 0 defects is perfect, not out of spec. When I enter the USL, I have chosen 3 percent (not the goal, but anything lower at this time would turn people off to SPC). In order for me to attain a Cpk of 1.33 with 3 percent defect I have to attain a sigma level of greater than 4, with a DPM of 30, which is obvoisly not 3 percent. Have I not entered data correctly somewhere or have I made a mistake somewhere else?

Any advice anyone can give me is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B
Since there are no specification limits for attirbutes, attribute data cannot be used to calculate a Cpk value.

However, you might try calculating the equivalent Cpk.

For example, say your average fraction nonconforming (p-bar) is .00023 or .023%.

Find .00023 on the Z table, which gives you a Z score of 3.50.

Divide 3.50 by 3 for an equivalent Cpk of 1.16.

To hit an equivalent Cpk of 1.33, you will need a maximum defect rate of around 64 per million.

M

mike101338

Thanks for your advice Ben. Can you tell me where I can find a z table. I have one, but it leaves large gaps in the percentages. If I am going to use this with any regularity then I need a chart with greater detail.
Thanks,
Mike

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

I messed something up posting the link but if you copy the address and paste it in the search line it works.

Sorry,
Bill

R

Ravi Khare

Z table

If you have a copy of MS Excel handy, you could get the z score of any value at a fine resolution. There are 3 functions related to Normal Distributions within Excel.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Transform variable data into attribute data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
K IATF & Attribute Study requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
T Correct MSA study for an automated camera system which makes attribute inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
O Examples of Critical process parameter (CPP) and Critical quality attribute (CQA) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Applying Weibayes to Attribute sampling Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
M Template for Attribute Gage R & R wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B Easy Software Needed for Recording Mainly Attribute Data Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
A Does an attribute study (Go/NoGo pin gage) need two studies (1 for each pin) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Attribute Gage R&R study according to "Charbonneau" Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Can a Attribute Study be considered a Visual Inspection? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
J MSA on Part Specific Attribute Fixtures Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B IATF 16949 Cl. 8.6.6 - Acceptance Criteria - Zero Defects Attribute Data Sampling IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L Gage Blocks: Attribute or Variable Gage? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T Attribute vs Variable Inspection Data ISO 13485 Requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Calibration of a Width Gage Slot with an Attribute Gage - Maximum Width Condition General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
R Visual Attribute Inspector Capability and KAPPA Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
D attribute gage RR in a unique way Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Proper Gauging - GD&T - Attribute gage to check true positioning on the shop floor Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
P RQL/AQL from Attribute Data Six Sigma 1
M Population failure rate based on attribute data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V Minitab - Attribute Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Attribute G&R for all Visual Controls in Control Plan Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Attribute Test Method Validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A Attribute Sampling Plans with Switching Rules - Software Recommendations Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
F MSA - Measurement System Analysis Attribute Data Crosstab sheet APQP and PPAP 1
B Bayes Success-Run on Attribute Data - Determining Sample Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Attribute Inspection P Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
Chennaiite Do Attribute Control Charts really help? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
Sean Kelley Visual Inspection Galvanized Attribute Study Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
N Example of how to perform a Visual Attribute Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
K MINITAB 16 - Attribute gage study (Analytic method) and Gage R&R Study (Expanded) Using Minitab Software 2
J Minimum number of parts to do an attribute gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
D Reliability of an Attribute Inspection based on Historical Data Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
S Cross Tab Attribute Gauge Study form Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
V MSA Attribute Data Analysis Study IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Destructive Attribute MSA for Simple Water Leak Check in Trailers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A Minimum Number of Parts for Attribute (Go / NoGo) Data Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
J Attribute MSA - Number of samples Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Manix MSA - How to Approach a Gauge R&R Go/NoGo Attribute Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
B Best Attribute Data Sampling Plan - Early Production Containment Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
E MSA of Attribute Gauges Signal Detection Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
C MSA-4 Attribute Kappa Template - Verification Check Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D Requiring a "bad" part for attribute MSA studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
N Survey about Attribute Gage and Sight Checking R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D Attribute Agreement Analysis - MSA - False Negative/Positive IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N How to make a MSA for an Attribute Gauge if the Pp=Ppk=1.33 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
J Attribute Data MSA for more than 3 Operators Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
J MSA for Attribute Visual Inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
kedarg6500 Gage R&R for Attribute Data - Pump Noise Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
D Is Cpk required for all Attribute Data Special Characteristics? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6