Audio Cable Classification - Class 2 wiring for the speaker outputs

Bunny

Quite Involved in Discussions
I was not sure where the best place for this post would be, but I figured the Telecommunications board would be a good place to start.

What do you know about Class 2 wiring for the speaker outputs? We are currently using a more expensive 600V cable since we have not determined if our amp is approved for Class 2 wiring. We understand, in some inspections the inspector simply looks for a sticker saying it is OK for class 2 wiring otherwise they force us to use the more expensive 600V tray cable. It is much cheaper cabling if we can put a sticker on the unit saying Class 2 wiring. I would really appreciate it if you could advise me.

:thanks:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
I was not sure where the best place for this post would be, but I figured the Telecommunications board would be a good place to start.

What do you know about Class 2 wiring for the speaker outputs? We are currently using a more expensive 600V cable since we have not determined if our amp is approved for Class 2 wiring. We understand, in some inspections the inspector simply looks for a sticker saying it is OK for class 2 wiring otherwise they force us to use the more expensive 600V tray cable. It is much cheaper cabling if we can put a sticker on the unit saying Class 2 wiring. I would really appreciate it if you could advise me.

:thanks:
Any Telecommunications/Electronics folks who can help?

Thank you!!

Stijloor.

M

MIREGMGR

What's your target market...US only?

If so, are you designing for the NEC, or do you have to consider other codes as well?

What's stopping you from establishing whether your amp is rated for Class 2 wiring?

Bunny

"What's your target market...US only?"

Our market is Worldwide, but some concerns have been raised is the US.

Bunny

What's your target market...US only?

If so, are you designing for the NEC, or do you have to consider other codes as well?

What's stopping you from establishing whether your amp is rated for Class 2 wiring?
We are confused because we are in the medical device industry not in the audio industry and the standards I see referred to are foreign. We are developing a standard integration device for use in OR. This device will control medical cameras, monitors, speakers, teleconfering equipment and about anything else a physician wants controlled in the OR. We are building our own audio control board for this device and want to be sure that these class 2 wiring issues we here about won't be a concern.

M

MIREGMGR

"Class 2 wiring" is terminology from the National Electrical Code, a private standard developed and maintained by the National Fire Protection Association in Quincy, MA. The NEC is offered to be legally adopted for local application by cities and states. It's not by any means universal in the US, but it is the most common electrical code by a considerable margin.

There are significant differences between US and European electrical wiring system expectations, among other things with respect to color coding, characteristic voltages and frequencies of course, grounding, and many other issues. ISO 60601-1 generally is built on a foundation of European building wiring practices and rules. UL 60601-1, the variant of ISO 60601-1 used by Underwriters Laboratories, a US NRTL, includes modifications to integrate with the NEC.

In my opinion, engineers working on a wiring product that is intended to be permanently installed as part of a building wiring system in the US and therefore will be subject to local inspector approvals at each installation site...as opposed to merely being connected to that wiring system...should have a comprehensive knowledge of the history and underlying technology issues in this standards area, and should be very familiar with the NEC and perhaps other significant US reference electrical codes.

M

MIREGMGR

The requirements that would apply to a product such as you have described would be more extensive than just a single question. I don't know how to answer that question without knowing much more about the product, but in any case it's your engineers that need to have that understanding, because it directly affects what's required to obtain your Listing or Labeling.

Bunny

That is what I thought, but they didn't know either.

I can tell you that our product was already tested to IEC 60601-1 and the test lab didn't ask for the class 2 label.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Is CE Mark needed for a small DAC audio board on top of a Rasberry PI? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Marc How Lucas Modernised Audio in Film After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
S Do you use audio-visual streaming during FDA inspection? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
C Audio Transducer as Class I Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Quality / 9001/ Six Sigma Audio CD Recommendations? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
B What directive applies? Audio/Visual Medical Devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
S Computer Screen Video Capture and Recording Software with Audio After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
G FMEA Severity Ranking for an Automotive Audio System FMEA and Control Plans 9
H Does Welding of the Metal Housings for Audio Equipment Need Validation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Marc Sony Music Audio CD Anti-Piracy Software Triggers Uproar World News 5
Marc Streaming Audio on the Internet - 10 Years Old - Real Audio After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
C Six Sigma Defects per Unit (DPU) - Manufacture Of Computer And Audio Parts Assembling Six Sigma 2
E How do you determine if hipot is necessary for a cable product? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
O Is Patient Cable Exempted from EFT Tests? (IEC 60601-1-2) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
O EMC - EFT (Electrical Fast Transients) on SIP couples erroneously with other cable CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
F Design check list for Cable and Wiring Harnesses Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
L Valid reasons to omit an "ear-tag" type label on a cable? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
S Does the cable assembly supporting a medical device gets classified accordingly? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
E IPC/WHMA-A-620C: Requirements and Acceptance for Cable and Wire Harness Assemblies Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
N Data Transfer cable For Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Can the shield of a cable be used as a protective bonding conductor? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
K Problem with Cable Composed of Coextruded Litz Wire and Tube Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
T What Test Certificate should accompany supply of Cable XLPE/SWA/PVC 4CX150MM2 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
B Detachable Power Supply Cable Connection ESD Clarification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
R Cable used in Active Implantable Medical Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
N Cable Connectors - Insulation does not go all the way into the back of the connector Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
E Safety Requirements for Bioimpedance Measuring Device Power via USB Cable IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
B Extending a Shielded Cable into an AP IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
C Grounding of Ethernet Cable Shield IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
L Electrical Cable Harness Quality Control - Sampling Plan for Pull Test Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R MS90387-1 Tension Verification Tool for Cable Tie Gun Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K USB Charger Adapter/USB Cable - A Medical Device Accessory? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
I IEC 60601-2-52 - HD22.10 H05-BQ-F type Power Cable for Medical Beds IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K Implementing AS9100 Rev C - Electrical Harnesses and Cable Assemblies AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
R Correct Cable Ports After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
D Cable Manufacturing Build Audit Checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
P Options for getting TV/Cable stations programming over the Internet After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
A Validation of Process - Label Printing and Cable Marking IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
V HALT vs. HASS (acronyms) - Tests for PCB and Cable Assemblies Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
B Labeling of a Non-Sterile Component that connects to a Sterile System via a Cable 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Assistance with a Cable Issue Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
Marc Cargo Transport by Cable World News 0
quality1 Traceability by Physical Marking for Cable Assemblies Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S USB Cable (an accessory to our data management software) Changes and 510k IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
J Cable and Harness Marking - Standard referenced on a cable drawing Design and Development of Products and Processes 14
V Validation of Molding Process for Manufacturing Cable and Wire Harness ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
V Calculation of Cable Assembly DPPM Customer Complaints 6
Q Cable Specifications for use in Automation and Electrical Panels Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Marc Google's Pacific fiber optic cable departs from Japan to connect to America After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
J Quality Control of High Tension Steel Cable Bolt - Inspection Method Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2