SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Audio Transducer as Class I Medical Device

I am trying to rationalize our device as Class I.

The device, an insert earphone, is an accessory for an audiometer. Audiometers are generally Class IIa.
The device is used inside the ear canal, is intended to touch only intact skin, and is commonly in contact for less than 1 hour (transient use).
Regardless, it seems that rule 5 would make this device Class IIa since it connects to an audiometer.

Does the fact that it is an accessory change the way I can rationalize it?

Also, the MHRA has "Auditory Testing Headphones and Accessories" (code Z172), and "Electrodes/Transducers and Accessories" (code C2) as Class I devices.

Does this strengthen my Class I rationalization?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Ok. I think I answered part of this myself. The following definition would seem to say that since there is more than a "remote link" between the transducer and medical use, that the transducer would be covered by 93/42 and therefore would be a Class IIa since it is invasive and connects to an audiometer. Correct?

According to MEDDEV 2.1/1 (1994)

1.2 Definition of accessory

The question whether a product is a "device" or a "accessory" has not
practical consequence. Following article 1(1) of Directive 93/42/EEC,
"accessories shall be treated as medical devices in their own right". Therefore
the main question is whether a product with a rather remote link to a
medical use can still be considered as "accessory" (article 1(2)b) and as a
matter of consequence is covered by the directive.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Based on the information provided, the subject earphone is class IIa or higher (rule 5 applies).

The MDD takes legal precedence over any associated guidance.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Alarm “AUDIO PAUSED” of infant incubator IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
C Is CE Mark needed for a small DAC audio board on top of a Rasberry PI? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Marc How Lucas Modernised Audio in Film After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
S Do you use audio-visual streaming during FDA inspection? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
S Quality / 9001/ Six Sigma Audio CD Recommendations? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
B What directive applies? Audio/Visual Medical Devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
B Audio Cable Classification - Class 2 wiring for the speaker outputs TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 11
S Computer Screen Video Capture and Recording Software with Audio After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
G FMEA Severity Ranking for an Automotive Audio System FMEA and Control Plans 9
H Does Welding of the Metal Housings for Audio Equipment Need Validation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Marc Sony Music Audio CD Anti-Piracy Software Triggers Uproar World News 5
Marc Streaming Audio on the Internet - 10 Years Old - Real Audio After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
C Six Sigma Defects per Unit (DPU) - Manufacture Of Computer And Audio Parts Assembling Six Sigma 2
M Pinout of Keller PAA-15 Pressure Transducer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
W Pressure Transducer Calibration Standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
V High Pressure Gauge Transducer (30,000 PSI) / Transmitter Procedures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
H Calibration uncertainty with torque transducer Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 6
C Pressure Transducer - Number of Calibration Test Points General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
L "Shelf-Life" Class I Non-Sterile Products Expiration Date? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S Stability sampling for Class 1 medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Including a class 1 camera in the 510k application of class 2 therapeutic technology? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 18
S Class I Equipment with mobile power inverter IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
shimonv Can you submit a traditional application for a class I device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
D Faxback form versus amendment License for Class II Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
K Ground Bond Test for Class I Medical Electrical Equipment - calibration problems IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
J The necessity and benefit of ISO13485:2016 for a manufacturer of class I devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Class II (Double Insulated) Power Supply with Output Tied to Earth: FE or PE? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S IPC-A-610 Class 3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Class 1 and 2 changes in CM standards (aerospace industry) Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
S Class 1 vs Class 2 changes Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
Fjalar Spare parts for discontinued MDD compliant class I medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Y MDR requirements for Class I accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J EU Declaration of Conformity for Class I EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H Class II a vs "software safety class A" IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
K Classification Rationale for class 1 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
I Class VI certification on seals, o-ring and plastic for a WFI system Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
N Class I accessories covered by EC certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 0
L Change Notification Requirements for class 1 devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Issues with leakage current testing for a CLASS II device since no PE and FE is present IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
J Med Device Class for a Service Organization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
shimonv Clinical evaluation report for class I device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Control Number for Class III and IV devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
M Class II type machine , and its compliance with 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 14
K Technical file for MHRA - looking for assistance with self declaration Class I device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
A Clinical assessment sample size - Medical device Class IIb implantable (93/42 directive) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Should a Class 1 medical device with an option to measure body weight be considered Class 1m? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P ISO 14644 Class 8 Cleanroom Air Filter Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
J Instructions for use for Class I devices under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Electrical Medical Devices class I EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K MDR Class 1 Self Certification - Competent Authority or Notified Body? EU Medical Device Regulations 6