Audit 1 week away and no agenda from auditor yet

We have an audit (surveillance) coming up and don't have an agenda from auditor yet. Obviously this impacts our ability to prepare. Is there any requirement regarding timing of when auditor owes us an agenda?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Have you supplied all the required audit prep info? If so, I would just follow up a) to make sure it was received and b) to ask for the agenda.

Have you supplied all the required audit prep info? If so, I would just follow up a) to make sure it was received and b) to ask for the agenda.
We did provide weeks ago and have followed up but got message that we would get it when we get it. I just wasn't sure if there was a requirement for the auditors.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
but got message that we would get it when we get it.
Let me guess: you are communicating with the auditor only? Have you contacted the CB automotive manager? Of course they are supposed to provide you with an audit agenda in a timely manner. Find where in the CB website they blow words into the wind to the effect they are committed to customer satisfaction and make them accountable to that.

Good luck.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Let me guess: you are communicating with the auditor only? Have you contacted the CB automotive manager? Of course they are supposed to provide you with an audit agenda in a timely manner. Find where in the CB website they blow words into the wind to the effect they are committed to customer satisfaction and make them accountable to that.

Good luck.
My experience is this is provided by the auditor. But certainly the CB rep can provide a push.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Unless registrants tell on incompetent/unprofessional auditors to the CB's who hire them, this post from over 11 years ago will always be current....

MAN! I hope so!

I have been lurking here forever...and finally have mustered the courage to state my concerns and observations. :notme:

I have been dealing with an incompetent CB auditor for over 5 years. Our goal get a certificate...his goal land a full time job at one of the several companies he has been auditing for us while living high on the hog with us "entertaining" him.

He manages to cycle the audits to support his golfing trips, hobbies and enjoys men's clubs.

This had been brought to management's attention and we knew, if his whims are met...we keep the certificate. :mg:

It gets more intersting... over the years it has always been the same stale and staggant "paper audit". Opening folders, shuffling paper, checking forms and NEVER performed a process audit.

Within the last year he wasn't sharp enough to see a REAL change that was taking place...the company designated a "group" to break out of status quo approach to quality (bribe an auditor for a certificate process) and put into place a "BPM group".

We had even shared with him some process mapping...he was like a dog watching a ceiling fan...something was going around him but it was all over his head. ;)

With the BPM group...things suddenly started changing!

With Business Process Modeling...for the first time we were able to "show" in a diagram what we did! How things interfaced...acknowledged crippling silos...we could logically speak to issues that were hidden or not well known that were defective or in some cases absolutely un-needed.

After the modeling we could now analyze what and how we did things...we were able to identify areas for improvement. Imagine that! :mg:

Metrics were identified measurements have begun.

NOW suddenly our "auditor" is seeing the light. The gig is up! He has been found out. He brought nothing to us other than layers of frustration because we were still caught in the game of quick fixes to keep an auditor happy trap.

Want a big laugh! We are currently shopping for a new auditor because the former auditor finally landed a job here in one of the small companies he used to audit and get this...he didn't land a job in Quality but instead...SALES! :lmao:

I am proud of my company for realizing that the offer and plan for BPM was the way out of the vicious cycle of "chasing a certificate" and has instead given us a path to seek real improvement without any undue interference from an incompetent auditor.

This may very well be my only post here...since I prefer to lurk...but before I sign off...I can assure many... if not all of YOU...I am sincere in giving thanks for the open discussions I have lurked through and all the different threads.

Thank you Marc for this forum, :applause: I suspect there are others like me who rely on the expert support and discussions, it gives people like me the courage to keep Quality alive and well.

Randy

Super Moderator
We're required to provide an audit plan/agenda for the next audit as part of the audit report, also every audit report has within it the 3 year agenda for the present certification cycle.

As an aside note, if you have to prepare for a scheduled audit you're wrong, if your system is effectively maintained, as required by the applicable standard, you should be able to be audited at any time and without regard to who is or is not present.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
We're required to provide an audit plan/agenda for the next audit as part of the audit report, also every audit report has within it the 3 year agenda for the present certification cycle.
As it can be seen by the IATF Rules below, there is an expectation that the IATF 16949 audits are planned taking into account some contemporaneous data which will not be available for review, 6 or 12 months before the audit. That's a good thing. The assembly line approach to audits is not very effective and proper audit planning requires current data on system performance.
Rules 5th.JPG

As an aside note, if you have to prepare for a scheduled audit you're wrong, if your system is effectively maintained, as required by the applicable standard, you should be able to be audited at any time and without regard to who is or is not present.
While I don't dispute the point, it is always advisable to have process owners on-site to allow for a beneficial assessment. Knowing the processes to be part of the scope of the surveillance audit would assist in identifying who is likely to be called upon, during the audit.

As an aside note, if you have to prepare for a scheduled audit you're wrong,
Well, there's being prepared and being prepared. As a minimum, a CB auditor should understand that they are there at the organization's request. If anyone is going to turn up at someone's facility, the very minimum they should do is have an agenda, isn't it? As a consultant, I set some expectations for a visit. An agenda is helpful, not to prepare - in the way you are implying - but to put a marker in someone's schedule for 30-45 minutes or whatever. What is wrong with that? If I'm running my process and someone wants to come and talk to me, let me know so I can hold my schedule open.

What is wrong with these auditors? Do they have a clue what "professional" means? If I didn't get an agenda, I'd turn them away saying we weren't ready...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W DCMA and AS9100C - Dedicating a week and 5 auditors to perform a AS9100C audit AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
T It is Audit Week... August 2010 General Auditing Discussions 31
S Wish me luck - whole week Nadcap audit... AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
B Audit Week Is Finally Here Imported Legacy Blogs 2
H ISO 9001 Audit Next Week - Have I missed anything? General Auditing Discussions 19
D FDA Audit next week US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 21
U How do I prepare for a recertification audit sch. 1 week after our division is sold. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
ScottK My Birthday Plans for Next Week... PED Module B & D audit Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
J ISO/TS 16949 Pre-assessment Audit last week and it went very well! General Auditing Discussions 7
M ISO 9001 Pre-Assessment Audit Next Week ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 39
A APQP audit last week with Visteon and Ford - They want a PPAP Booklet APQP and PPAP 4
G Self Assessment Audit from a new potential customer General Auditing Discussions 3
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M OEM asking for NC report after certification audit. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Ooi Yew Jin Customer E audit preparation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
J Remote Audit Experiences - June 2020 General Auditing Discussions 17
F Product audit sampling plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
Stefan Mundt AS9100D Major nonconformity due to recurrence of a NC during a subsequent CB audit. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Q ISO 9001:2015 man days for surveillance audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
F ISO 13485 - EU countries that could request another audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
H Layered audit updates after COVID-19 shutdowns Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 0
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Armen Conflict of Interest if I audit the QC department? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
V Generic IATF 16949 Audit Checklist wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A NB (Notified Body) Audit of Standards ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
N Audit non-compliance - API Spec Q1 9th Ed 5.6.1.2 b Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
M Any way to execute VDA 6.3 audit remotely? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
D Audit for ISO and AS 91XX and mitigating exposure to COVID-19 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
D Postpone IATF 16949 audit due to COVID-19 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 33
JoCam Certified Body Audit of MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
Ajit Basrur Track audit findings on Excel tracker Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 9
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Watchcat Anyone had an MDR technical file review/audit yet? EU Medical Device Regulations 13
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M Has anyone has been through an MDR audit? (3/2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Audit Finding For Not Retaining Test Results ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T ISO 27001 sample audit report IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
D API Spec Q1 9th Edition # Re-audit - Disputing with API AARs Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
Ajit Basrur Withdrawal of Audit Report Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
M Definition Open Audit - What does an Open Audit mean? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
I What kind of wine best complements the Friday that you close out your external audit findings? Opinions are welcome. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
A IAF MD 5 - Audit Days calculator General Auditing Discussions 2
Jacquie Collins Stage 2 Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2