Audit Days Based Upon Number of Employees

Tom W

Living the Dream...
Audit Days

Does anyone else feel that basing the number of audit days on the number of employees makes very little logic? Wouldn't it make more logic to base it on the organization and what they do as well as there size. I work for a company with three different locations. Two of the locations have around 17 employees. With the discount for no design of product responsibility we still have 1.5 days. Every time the auditor comes in he is done after the first day and yet we are paying for 1/2 of another day.

Our system has been evolving for six years and is pretty easy to audit; especially since the same auditor has come almost every time through Qs and now into TS. Why do we have to pay for extra days when they are not needed? Even our registrar agrees, yet they say they are bound by the rules of the road.

Anyones comments would be appreciated. Just venting!!! :frust:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

SteelWoman

I think particularly with TS the audit day requirements are ABSURD. We have about 200 employees and the intial TS audit, even with the allowable reductions, is 5 days?!!? I'm with you - our experience has been that after a good solid day or day and a half at the most of auditing, I'm at at LOSS as to what an auditor is going to DO for the other 4 days?! We have several processes, but they're just not that complex and we have a VERY robust system - incredibly easy to audit.

I tried and failed to get our registrar to reduce the audit days based on a history of extremely strong audits (we've had 5 audits in the last 3 years with ZERO findings of any kind). They denied it because we haven't been audited under TS - only QS?!

More money in the pot for all involved, I suppose. :frust:

T

Teri - 2011

We had 9 (yes, not a typo, nine) audit days for our initial audit to TS.
I too felt what are we going to do??

However, each day was filled (with value added activities). Much to my surprise.
IMHO, I think it varies with EACH company.

Since each regristrar & auditor have different approaches, how could they standardize it any differently?

Tom W

Living the Dream...
:agree: I agree with both of you. We had two auditors for 4 days each. on auditor was in one facility for the 4 days and the other auditor split 2 days in each of our other 2 facilities. Just seems like a lot of time to look at the same thing over and over. I can see if they are finding things to improve or making it useful through "suggestion" that they always give, but it has to be value added - not just because that is what the book says.

I wish this could be fexible and left up to the registrar after a basic minimum time.

W

wrodnigg

The intention behind these regulations (i know that from MedDev) is AFAIK, that there are some guidelines which notified bodies have to follow. So there should be less dumping-offers, less "low-quality" assessments...

Any kind of regulation has its good and bad sides. And it is very very difficult to fit them all...

~ghw

Just curious. Has anyone re-calculated the audit days required using the new formula on the IAOB website. You may be in for a surprise.

Tom W

Living the Dream...
Sam said:
Just curious. Has anyone re-calculated the audit days required using the new formula on the IAOB website. You may be in for a surprise.
Do you have a link? Or is it www .iaob. com or something similar?

Last edited:

Tom W

Living the Dream...
Sam said:
Thanks Sam, I went to that and still think it is nuts. The audit days that it should take to audit our three facilities and look really good at everything should be no more than five days for one auditor. Not 8 days for two auditors. I am just amazed at registrars that are "filling" audit days with little to no actual auditing because they have seen it all already, yet the organization has to pay for it. :frust:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Audit days calculator based on Rules 4th IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T AS9104/3 is bringing in a requirement for an AA to qualify as AEA based on Audit Days AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Q ISO 9001:2015 man days for surveillance audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
A IAF MD 5 - Audit Days calculator General Auditing Discussions 2
A Man Days for IATF 16949 Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M AS9100 Rev. D Transition Audit - Number of Audit Days AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Number of Audit Days - AS9100D Transition for a Small Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Stijloor Calculating (3rd Party) Audit Days for Company with Seasonal Employees General Auditing Discussions 3
Q Scheduling IATF 16949 Audits - Audit Man-Days IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S Internal Audit Man-days requirements using IAF MD9 General Auditing Discussions 2
Crimpshrine13 Rules of achieving and maintaining IATF recognition - Determining audit days IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J One third of the total audit days on manufacturing (TS 16949) General Auditing Discussions 2
T Reduced Audit days when UPGRADING from AS9100 to TS16949 - Is it possible? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
P Scope Extension Audit - How many days? Do I audit all AS9100 requirements? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J Required Audit Days for TS 16949 Initial Certification Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J How to calculate Surveillance Audit Days in Corporate Audit Scheme IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D Number of Audit Days for AS9100C Surveillance Audit (20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M IAF-MD9 Audit Man-Days Requirements for ISO 13485 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 30
M Calculating the IATF TS 16949 Recertification Audit Man Days - Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Becoming a Certified Aerospace Auditor - How to get the required audit days AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J AS91X0 Audit Man-Days Calculation - Risk for the Organization? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Audit Days Requirement for AS9100, Rev C Re-Certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
C ISO/TS 16949:2009 Audit Man Days Table IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
J What is Manufacturing Extension? Audit Man-Days General Auditing Discussions 6
S ISO 17025 Audit - 12 Days for 3 Auditors - 20 Employees ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
G Calculating AS9100 Registrar Audit Man Days AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
K Please help Calculate Audit Man Days Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 8
M ISO 9001 Re-Certification Audit: How Many Man-Days? General Auditing Discussions 6
A What happens if an External Audit NC (Nonconformance) is not closed in 90 days? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P Panic time! Audit in three days! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Calculation of Man-Days for OHSAS Audit Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
A Cost of ISO 9001:2008 certification and certification audit days? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
A Determining the number of Internal Audit Man-Days Internal Auditing 15
B Why CB (Certification Body) Increase Audit Man days for ISO 9001:2008 upgrade? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
D External audit question - Number of on-site days to number of plant employees IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
H Calculation of Audit Man-days; ISO 27001 Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
G 90 days after TS 16949 Registration/Certification Audit to receive certificate? Registrars and Notified Bodies 30
Domoreto Extra registrar audit days due to Nonconformances? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 24
P Required number of auditor days (Audit Man-Days) for AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 32
C Audit Days vs. Customer Base - Auditing all of our customers and their specifications IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Registrar system failure - IATF rejected paperwork - Insufficient audit days Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
Icy Mountain Audit Scheduling for TS16949 - Audit split up by several 'working days' General Auditing Discussions 7
D Required Audit Man Days for ISO9001:2000? General Auditing Discussions 15
A Number of onsite audit days? General Auditing Discussions 1
I Audit Days - Our TS 16949 upgrade audit from QS-9000 will be 13 days - Why? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J How many days should our initial ISO14001 audit take? Two sites - 700 People Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
Tom W Issue with Audit Days - Surveillance audit Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
C Control of Documents - When?? Uncontrolled forms identified days before the audit Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
C Required Audit Days - ISO/IEC Guide 62 gives guidance to Registrars ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
C Number Of Surveillance Audit Days For Remote Sites General Auditing Discussions 6