SBS - The best value in QMS software

Audit Findings - The Process/Clause Matrix does not identify all the processes

X

XIO549

Hi Cove'rs
Hope you can help.

Being new to ISO and general Quality procedures, I was charged with Implementing a QMS in a company and with getting a CB to certify us to the 9001:2008 standard. (New job, new role, no predecessors' or assistants)

There was an old QMS (from 2001), which I picked up, dusted off and put in place again, it should be said.

The stage 1 assessment went ok, but the auditor went to town on the 'Process Approach' line and put this in the 'Audit Findings' report.

'(a) The Process/Clause Matrix does not identify all the processes, or all the relevant clauses against each clause. '
AND
'(b) There is a need to identify the Inputs, Outputs, Measurements
and Targets for each process.'

Now... When I set off on this mission, I done a few courses,
read alot of literature from here (which was fantastic) and never
took a massive importance from having a Process Approach, and
more or less took it that the whole 'Process Approach' thing was
a 'recommendation' (which I do agree with) but that it was not a
mandatory instrument when implementing a QMS. :eek:

I am preparing corrective actions to address this and other issues on
the 'Audit Findings' report, but desperately need some guidance on
the whole 'Process Approach' approach, as it does seem to
be the way to go.

Any immediate help and guidance in this would be a massive help guys & gals.

Cheers :)

Xio

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
K

keres

Re: Audit Findings (?)

The Process approach is the main idea in ISO 9001:2000 and ISO 9001:2008. Try to count the word "process" in the standart. The number is big. The Process approach is one of the 8 principle of quality management defined in ISO 9000.
For me it is mandatory.

Last edited by a moderator:
X

XIO549

Hi Keres,

Yes, cant argue with it and totally makes sense. I finding that I picking up an old system that wasn't revolved around it, and now am trying to put in new foundations under an existing house so to speak. Instructions are to make the implementation as painless as possible to the existing infrastructure as possible.

Guidance appreciated. A Process matrix examples would be fantastic if any one has one to share...

Xio

J

JJ777

Assuming that you maybe have procedures developed but no processes to link to.
I will use the example from out side to purchase IT equipment.
Starts with a Service Request from the user who wishes to purchase IT equipment. Our process starts with our Helpdesk who asses the request/s and channel it to the right section, the Procurement section is the recipient who uses procedures to do all their requirements(Budget verififcation quotations etc.), next in line is the IT equipment store who will receive the request, they in turn do have their procedures to execute the task, from here there is 2 parallel functions one goes to the technical section for installing the equipment and the other to procurement again for payment of the invoice and procedures for it and it all ends again at the Helpdesk who close the request and a customer satisfaction questionnaire is send to rate our service feedback.
This is the complete process and you look at how well does the respective processes interact (Look at timelines, documents, etc).

Do a search on the forum process matrix etc. there are some examples.

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Even though ISO 9001:2000 emphasized the process approach, it was not well understood or applied at the beginning, thus your 2001 manual didn't have much in that direction. The process approach may well have been the main driver for the transition for the 2000 revision of ISO 9001.

Even once the 2000 version of the standard was adopted, it took until late 2004 or early 2005 to move away from the element based audit checklist to using the process approach for auditing. The adoption of the process approach was slow in starting.

Now that it is underway, we see more and more emphasis being made. One of the most recent has been the move to using key performance indicators (KPI), even to the extent of expecting top management and process owners (department managers) to be aware of how their KPI are tracking.

More emphasis will come. And it will be sooner than later. We just don't know what the next point of emphasis will be.

Brizilla

Quite Involved in Discussions
Send me your email and I'll send you a copy of our company process flow chart. It might not be real applicable but it'll give you an idea what's going on.

I'd attach it but I'm not sure how. Ahhh...here it is. :biglaugh:

Hope this is of use.

Attachments

Last edited:
X

XIO549

Hi Brizilla,

Thank you for the flow chart.

However, when I presented this type of full in depth chart to the auditing certification body, I was told that this is a common misconception as to what is wanted when asked to identify the Processes in a company.

Its only a list of Core Process headings that is required here.
After my initial reply with the flow chart (just like yours) I was
shown something like as follows:
SALES, PURCHASING, DESIGN, MANU, DELIVERIES.
(This list is to be identified by the company). As mentioned by Big Jim, these are to be processes that the company can put a measure on as KPI's.

<Sample of matrix attached>

Its then a list of the ISO clauses and whether the requirements of the
standard are applicable (each clause) to each process.

Has any one filled in this chart before?

Xio

Attachments

Big Jim

Super Moderator
I have filled out charts like that many times. It is intended to show that your quality management system addresses all of the requirements of the standard. It is easy to complete, once you have determined what your processes are.

List your core processes down the left side. Think about which elements of the standard you would need to address to properly evaluate that process, and put an X in the box under that element. Don't overthink it. If you try hard enough, you can almost force any requirement into any process, so address the main ones that it covers. When you are done, confirm that you have an X under every element of the standard except for the ones that you have claimed an exclusion for. If you miss any, look it over again and determine where it belongs.

If you need any additional help, PM me.

Brizilla

Quite Involved in Discussions
It's an auditing chart, used by auditors. (internal or external)

It is NOT a requirement of the standard.
It IS a handy document to check yourself with.

I use a more advanced version of the big chart I gave you in Visio to jump to smaller process charts for departments or the mandatory 7 Procedures in TS.
We use that with an audit turtle to list our process measurables.

We just went through a TS recert and it wasn't a problem.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Document Review Audit Findings - Design and Process Approach Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
Ajit Basrur Track audit findings on Excel tracker Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 9
I What kind of wine best complements the Friday that you close out your external audit findings? Opinions are welcome. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
shimonv Rigid rules for handling supplier audit findings ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
J Any diverging opinions regarding audit findings or conclusions must be resolved no later than the closing meeting ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
XRAY_3121 Informational MDSAP Audit Findings - Document change orders Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
G Web based tool for benchmarking audit findings Benchmarking 6
Albert G. What are general examples of audit findings with ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
A Internal Audit - Findings - Recent Internet Audit (Prior to Certification) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
M Increase in Major TS16949 Audit Findings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
dubrizo Are you documenting Internal Audit findings as NCRs? Internal Auditing 18
dubrizo Audit Findings: Writing against Internal an ISO Clause Internal Auditing 10
K Definition of Repeat Audit Findings Internal Auditing 11
Q Writing appropriate ISO 13485 Audit Report Findings Internal Auditing 15
M Do all findings (nonconformities) in an internal audit require a corrective action? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 55
Mikey324 Questionable Audit Findings after Rules 4th Edition Release IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R Root Cause for "Simple" External Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Internal Audit Findings Summary Rewrite by an Auditee ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Help with Internal Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Internal Audit Findings and Issuance Problem Internal Auditing 4
E Corrective Actions Root Causes from Surveillance Audit Findings Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A Audit Report Findings for an audit conducted yesterday General Auditing Discussions 10
M External Audit Findings - TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Root Cause Analysis of Audit Findings - New Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
I Types of Internal Audit findings based on ISO 9001 Clause 8.2.2 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
C No findings from External Audit - Should I be worried? General Auditing Discussions 7
K External Auditor asking for other Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
6 ISO 9001 Audit Findings Sept 2011 - Critique and Comments ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Management Review Analysis of Internal Audit Findings Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
B Mining Nonconformance Data for Potential Missed Audit Findings Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
A How to Address Internal Quality Audit Findings Internal Auditing 8
B Critical Action Limits (CAL) for All Internal and External Audit Findings General Auditing Discussions 17
X ISO 9001:2008 Internal Audit - Classification of Audit Findings Internal Auditing 5
AnaMariaVR2 Pros & Cons of FDA viewing QAU Audit Report Findings US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
S External Auditor Findings when an Internal Audit found a Nonconformance Yesterday Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
D ISO 10001:2007 - Critical Audit Findings Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
A ISO 17020 Audit Findings - Calibration from Accredited Laboratory required Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
L Categorizing Internal Audit Findings Internal Auditing 10
B Writing Techniques for Audit Findings, Reports, etc. Internal Auditing 15
Michael Malis For Internal Audit findings, would you open a CAPA for every observation? Internal Auditing 31
W Audit Findings - Refusing outside audit findings Internal Auditing 14
F Responding to Audit Findings - Procedures not being followed to the letter ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
T TS 16949 Recertification Audit - No negative findings! Covegratulations 23
E Internal Audits - Presenting Audit Findings to Upper Management General Auditing Discussions 19
V Documenting the Root Causes for Internal Audit Non-Conformance Findings Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
B AS9100 & Safety Audit Findings - Para 6.4 Work Environment - Fork lift records AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
S Does anyone know if ISO publishes audit findings/results much like the FDA ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
C Internal Audit Findings - Do I need to raise NC for amendments/revisions? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
eternal_atlas Review on Internal Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
eternal_atlas Internal Audit Findings in C&M works (HVAC, Firefighting, etc.) - Your Comments? General Auditing Discussions 6