Audit Findings: The quality objectives have not been quantified

M

MADHAVAN

in a recent audit, an NCR was raised as follows:
"the quality objectives have not been quantified".
is it correct?
the standard prescribes that we should bring out the policy with clear objectives and goals etc.
comments please.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

John C

Madhavan,
re; "the quality objectives have not been quantified".
The standard does not require that the quality objectives be quantified. We have to 'define and document...objectives for quality..'. Where it is appropriate, we should quantify quality objectives, eg; if our policy was to ship only product of a measured and recorded DPM, then it would be a pointless excercise if we did not quantify a threshold under which we would not ship. If my policy is to use 'competent' sub-contractors, then I need to define, and in some way 'quantify' the required performance.
However, if my policy is to varnish my product because I think it is more popular with my customers, then I don't quantify it. I may back up the decision with statistical evidence, but that is not quantifing my objective (which is varnishing). It is quantifying the decision making material.
rgds, John C

M

MADHAVAN

In fact, as a suggestion, my client was asked to change one of the objectives by incorporating " after implementing QMS and getting it certified, the product will be certified within 12 months as per relevant National Standards".
this sort of inclusions is puzzling.
any comment?

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Madhavan,

It puzzles me as well. I'm getting the picture that you had an auditor with personal bias performing the audit. His request seems inappropriate to me. National Standards that are mandated (not voluntary), to the best of my knowledge, are established by the government, not Registrar's or their auditors.

Regards,

Kevin

D

Don Winton

His request seems inappropriate to me.
Gotta go with Kevin on this one. Assessors are not supposed to suggest anything! The primary function of an assessor is to determine compliance or nonconpliance to the standard. If I were the client, I would complain (loudly) to his registrar.

Regards,
Don

------------------
Check Out dWizard's Lair www.ficom.net/members/donwinton/home.html

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Root Cause Analysis of Audit Findings - New Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
A How to Address Internal Quality Audit Findings Internal Auditing 8
Ajit Basrur Track audit findings on Excel tracker Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 9
I What kind of wine best complements the Friday that you close out your external audit findings? Opinions are welcome. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
shimonv Rigid rules for handling supplier audit findings ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
J Any diverging opinions regarding audit findings or conclusions must be resolved no later than the closing meeting ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
XRAY_3121 Informational MDSAP Audit Findings - Document change orders Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
G Web based tool for benchmarking audit findings Benchmarking 6
Albert G. What are general examples of audit findings with ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
A Internal Audit - Findings - Recent Internet Audit (Prior to Certification) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
M Increase in Major TS16949 Audit Findings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
dubrizo Are you documenting Internal Audit findings as NCRs? Internal Auditing 18
dubrizo Audit Findings: Writing against Internal an ISO Clause Internal Auditing 10
K Definition of Repeat Audit Findings Internal Auditing 11
Q Writing appropriate ISO 13485 Audit Report Findings Internal Auditing 15
M Do all findings (nonconformities) in an internal audit require a corrective action? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 55
Mikey324 Questionable Audit Findings after Rules 4th Edition Release IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R Root Cause for "Simple" External Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Internal Audit Findings Summary Rewrite by an Auditee ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Help with Internal Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Internal Audit Findings and Issuance Problem Internal Auditing 4
E Corrective Actions Root Causes from Surveillance Audit Findings Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A Audit Report Findings for an audit conducted yesterday General Auditing Discussions 10
M External Audit Findings - TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
I Types of Internal Audit findings based on ISO 9001 Clause 8.2.2 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
C No findings from External Audit - Should I be worried? General Auditing Discussions 7
K External Auditor asking for other Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
6 ISO 9001 Audit Findings Sept 2011 - Critique and Comments ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Management Review Analysis of Internal Audit Findings Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
X Audit Findings - The Process/Clause Matrix does not identify all the processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
B Mining Nonconformance Data for Potential Missed Audit Findings Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
B Critical Action Limits (CAL) for All Internal and External Audit Findings General Auditing Discussions 17
X ISO 9001:2008 Internal Audit - Classification of Audit Findings Internal Auditing 5
AnaMariaVR2 Pros & Cons of FDA viewing QAU Audit Report Findings US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
S External Auditor Findings when an Internal Audit found a Nonconformance Yesterday Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
D ISO 10001:2007 - Critical Audit Findings Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
A ISO 17020 Audit Findings - Calibration from Accredited Laboratory required Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
L Categorizing Internal Audit Findings Internal Auditing 10
B Writing Techniques for Audit Findings, Reports, etc. Internal Auditing 15
Michael Malis For Internal Audit findings, would you open a CAPA for every observation? Internal Auditing 31
W Audit Findings - Refusing outside audit findings Internal Auditing 14
F Responding to Audit Findings - Procedures not being followed to the letter ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
T TS 16949 Recertification Audit - No negative findings! Covegratulations 23
E Internal Audits - Presenting Audit Findings to Upper Management General Auditing Discussions 19
V Documenting the Root Causes for Internal Audit Non-Conformance Findings Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
B AS9100 & Safety Audit Findings - Para 6.4 Work Environment - Fork lift records AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
S Does anyone know if ISO publishes audit findings/results much like the FDA ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
C Internal Audit Findings - Do I need to raise NC for amendments/revisions? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
eternal_atlas Review on Internal Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
eternal_atlas Internal Audit Findings in C&M works (HVAC, Firefighting, etc.) - Your Comments? General Auditing Discussions 6