Audit Findings: Writing against Internal an ISO Clause

dubrizo

Involved In Discussions
When a finding is discovered during an internal audit that violates internal policy/procedure and ISO, are you only writing it up against the internal policy/procedure, or are you also writing it up against the ISO clause?

Thank you

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Audit Findings: writing against Internal Clause, ISO, both

When a finding is discovered during an internal audit that violates internal policy/procedure and ISO, are you only writing it up against the internal policy/procedure, or are you also writing it up against the ISO clause?

Thank you
Without seeing the write up - it should be written for the clause or procedure that it violates - this is what you are going to provide an answer to and hopefully add value to that process.

Feel free to paste the writeup here so that we can provide better guidelines.

dubrizo

Involved In Discussions

Situation: a company policy states that all new hires shall receive training 1, 2, and 3. During an internal audit, it was found that several new hires had not received the training as set forth by the internal procedure.

In my mind this violates both internal policy as well as the ISO standard (I don't have the exact clause in front of me).

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Situation: a company policy states that all new hires shall receive training 1, 2, and 3. During an internal audit, it was found that several new hires had not received the training as set forth by the internal procedure.

In my mind this violates both internal policy as well as the ISO standard (I don't have the exact clause in front of me).
Nothing prevents you from citing both, although I personally think that internal audits should be focused on internal process requirements. The assumption is that your internal documented requirements are written such that the relevant ISO requirements are addressed.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor

It depends on the audit objectives. You can audit against ISO standards requirements, you can audit against internal requirements, you can audit against anything you want, but it needs to be clear in the audit planning.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor

For example, ISO 9001 requires that internal audits verify 4 different things:
- conformity to planned arrangements
- conformity to requirements of ISO 9001
- conformity to the quality management system requirements established by the organization
- that the QMS is effectively implemented and maintained

You do not need to audit everything every time (nor you should because they would be very distinctive audits), but you need to audit them all in a defined period.

Unfortunatelly, most of the time, people think that they are auditing everything, but if this is not clear on the audit objective, you should not do it (if you find something that you know is not correct but is not part of the specific audit objective, you may mention it, or may require another audit with that specific objective.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

The internal audit is a periodic opportunity to weigh and measure your way of managing things for conformance to planned arrangements and effective implementation and maintenance. The reference to the ISO clause is not essential as the objective is to bring up good performance as well as highlight risks with what you are doing in the way you have laid it out.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator

Thank you
dubrizo,

Cite the applicable procedure and the applicable clause from ISO 9001 so the corrective action team have the baseline requirements should the procedure need revision.

Many procedures go beyond what the standard specifies and perhaps with good reason so ensure the CAR goes to the process owner.

And you may find these "untrained people" were in fact aware and competent.

John

dubrizo

Involved In Discussions
Thank you all for your input! I've seen/heard it done in different ways, but I've not had the opportunity to get a lot of perspective on the matter. Unfortunately, we live in a world where a lot of old ways are the only ways, and individuals can be very closed minded when they are "right" and it doesn't matter what other people do. ie. best practices

What may be more important is the effect of not having the required training. Did you also consider that? It's one thing to not "follow procedure" and something entirely different to report on the effect of that. ISO clauses are less important to management whereas results are...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Writing appropriate ISO 13485 Audit Report Findings Internal Auditing 15
B Writing Techniques for Audit Findings, Reports, etc. Internal Auditing 15
Ajit Basrur Track audit findings on Excel tracker Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 9
I What kind of wine best complements the Friday that you close out your external audit findings? Opinions are welcome. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
shimonv Rigid rules for handling supplier audit findings ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
J Any diverging opinions regarding audit findings or conclusions must be resolved no later than the closing meeting ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
XRAY_3121 Informational MDSAP Audit Findings - Document change orders Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
G Web based tool for benchmarking audit findings Benchmarking 6
Albert G. What are general examples of audit findings with ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
A Internal Audit - Findings - Recent Internet Audit (Prior to Certification) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
M Increase in Major TS16949 Audit Findings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
dubrizo Are you documenting Internal Audit findings as NCRs? Internal Auditing 18
K Definition of Repeat Audit Findings Internal Auditing 11
M Do all findings (nonconformities) in an internal audit require a corrective action? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 55
Mikey324 Questionable Audit Findings after Rules 4th Edition Release IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R Root Cause for "Simple" External Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Internal Audit Findings Summary Rewrite by an Auditee ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Help with Internal Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Internal Audit Findings and Issuance Problem Internal Auditing 4
E Corrective Actions Root Causes from Surveillance Audit Findings Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A Audit Report Findings for an audit conducted yesterday General Auditing Discussions 10
M External Audit Findings - TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Root Cause Analysis of Audit Findings - New Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
I Types of Internal Audit findings based on ISO 9001 Clause 8.2.2 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
C No findings from External Audit - Should I be worried? General Auditing Discussions 7
K External Auditor asking for other Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
6 ISO 9001 Audit Findings Sept 2011 - Critique and Comments ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Management Review Analysis of Internal Audit Findings Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
X Audit Findings - The Process/Clause Matrix does not identify all the processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
B Mining Nonconformance Data for Potential Missed Audit Findings Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
A How to Address Internal Quality Audit Findings Internal Auditing 8
B Critical Action Limits (CAL) for All Internal and External Audit Findings General Auditing Discussions 17
X ISO 9001:2008 Internal Audit - Classification of Audit Findings Internal Auditing 5
AnaMariaVR2 Pros & Cons of FDA viewing QAU Audit Report Findings US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
S External Auditor Findings when an Internal Audit found a Nonconformance Yesterday Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
D ISO 10001:2007 - Critical Audit Findings Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
A ISO 17020 Audit Findings - Calibration from Accredited Laboratory required Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
L Categorizing Internal Audit Findings Internal Auditing 10
Michael Malis For Internal Audit findings, would you open a CAPA for every observation? Internal Auditing 31
W Audit Findings - Refusing outside audit findings Internal Auditing 14
F Responding to Audit Findings - Procedures not being followed to the letter ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
T TS 16949 Recertification Audit - No negative findings! Covegratulations 23
E Internal Audits - Presenting Audit Findings to Upper Management General Auditing Discussions 19
V Documenting the Root Causes for Internal Audit Non-Conformance Findings Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
B AS9100 & Safety Audit Findings - Para 6.4 Work Environment - Fork lift records AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
S Does anyone know if ISO publishes audit findings/results much like the FDA ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
C Internal Audit Findings - Do I need to raise NC for amendments/revisions? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
eternal_atlas Review on Internal Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
eternal_atlas Internal Audit Findings in C&M works (HVAC, Firefighting, etc.) - Your Comments? General Auditing Discussions 6
A Audit Findings - Evidence that a System is Ineffective General Auditing Discussions 13