Definition Audit - First, Second and Third Party - Definitions

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J
Simply Put,
First party audits are audits you perform on yourself (internal audits)
Second party audits are when a customer audits you.
Third party audits are when an independent organization audits you.

Or

First party == I audit Me for Me

Second Party == I audit You for Me

Third Party == I audit you for Them

James

J
Douglas E. Purdy said:
James,

What Party Audit is:

I Audit You for You?

Doug

First party.
The audit is done by the company to monitor itself and no external certification is given or expected.

James

Randy

Super Moderator
Douglas E. Purdy said:
James,

What Party Audit is:

I Audit You for You?

Doug
If you are not a member of the same organization then most likely you will be a 3rd party conducting a 1st party audit.

However if you are asked to conduct an audit to be used other than as an internal audit, like a registration audit, then you are 3rd party conducting a 3rd party audit.

"Who's on 1st?" "No, Who's on 2nd." Gets confusing fast doesn't it?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
S Second Party Audit - GM IATF 16949 CSR September 2017 General Auditing Discussions 0
N Second Party (Supplier) Audit - Audit Schedule and Audit Report Template/Format General Auditing Discussions 3
L Preparation for the second year external audit. General Auditing Discussions 8
C How Will Be The Second Audit Compared To First Certification Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M TUV NCR 1 - Internal Audit did not audit the second shift Internal Auditing 26
W What is the major audit criteria of first party audit and second party audit? General Auditing Discussions 4
L Second Party Audit Check List for our Authorized Service Providers - ISO 9001:2000 Service Industry Specific Topics 4
T Second Party Internal Auditing - If I go to company to do an audit what do I do? Internal Auditing 4
K New supplier audit as per V3.1 by French Automotive OEM General Auditing Discussions 2
S Complexity Rating - CB adding another audit day for "high complexity" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
U Internal Auditor not trained but done Audit for some process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
B Looking for 10 Internal Audit Online Training Participants ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
K MDSAP Audit Approach 2020 for Brazil Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
K MDSAP Audit Approach 2020 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B IATF16949 audit requirement - Auditor request UCL and LCL must be show Xbar-R, IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
T COVID, Furlough and ISO9001 Surveillance Audit Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
R External Audit and Certificate prorogation due to the pandemic General Auditing Discussions 10
Dean Bell Implementation of Controls as per SOA for Stage 2 Audit IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
G Logistic organization and controls - IATF/ISO 9001 audit Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Geoff Cotton Performing a Delta Audit General Auditing Discussions 12
N ISO 19011:2018 - 5.4.2 "...audit program should engage in appropriate continual development..." Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
G MSA check list to audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
L Open Positions During AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L Stage 2 audit - Requirement for 3 months of records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F Who can sit in/perform an API audit? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 7
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 6
G Self Assessment Audit from a new potential customer General Auditing Discussions 3
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M OEM asking for NC report after certification audit. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Ooi Yew Jin Customer E audit preparation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
J Remote Audit Experiences - June 2020 General Auditing Discussions 30
F Product audit sampling plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
Stefan Mundt AS9100D Major nonconformity due to recurrence of a NC during a subsequent CB audit. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Q ISO 9001:2015 man days for surveillance audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
F ISO 13485 - EU countries that could request another audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
H Layered audit updates after COVID-19 shutdowns Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 0
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Armen Conflict of Interest if I audit the QC department? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
V Generic IATF 16949 Audit Checklist wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A NB (Notified Body) Audit of Standards ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
N Audit non-compliance - API Spec Q1 9th Ed 5.6.1.2 b Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10