Audit Mandays for OBL/Virtual Manufacturer

Mor628

Involved In Discussions
Hi guys,

We have recently gotten our re-certification quote from the NB and they have quoted to audit us for 4 mandays. We a small company (OBL) with 10 ppl, five Class 1s devices and two Class II devices.

When we asked the NB to justify the claim, they said that the number is derived by a calculation based on the MD9 document, where OBL's are audited as a OEM (factory).

Does anyone know anything about this? Any additional information would be really helpful.

When pressed further, the NB simply said, we should look elsewhere if we are not satisfied with the mandays.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Unfortunately "OBL" is no more, and you'll be audited like a full-on manufacturer (as you've already described on another thread, your OEM - actual manufacturer - can be expected to be audited too, as your manufacturing arm; if their location is 3km away from you, they might want to go there during those "4 man days").

4 man-days (probably 2 auditors for 2 days) is a bit on the higher end for your scope, in my opinion, but I wouldn't consider it outrageous (are the "class II" devices IIa or IIb?). Consider yourself lucky being able to schedule a NB audit and communicating with an apparently responsive one. :(

Mor628

Involved In Discussions
Dear Ronen,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I suppose you are right. Btw, it is one auditor for 4 mandays. We have four Class Is devices, one Class IIa and one Class IIb.

Also, yes. I contacted MANY NB's and none of them were taking new customers as they are "reviewing their business plan'' or ''upgrading their certification''

I've dropped MHRA an email, so let's see what they say.

Edward Reesor

Trusted Information Resource
At our last audit, we were informed that our next surveillance audit (introducing us to the MDSAP program in Canada) will include 2 auditors for 2 days each.

As one of my colleagues has stated a few times, "Increasing regulatory controls will be the eventual death of the small manufacturer". Already I have seen NB's and companies leaving the EU for a variety of reasons (Rev 4 and UDI requirements) and the FDA is increasing their fees dramatically.

locutus

Involved In Discussions
Welcome to the "new world" of Notified Bodies. As Edward said, regulatory hurdles are going to be challenging for small manufacturers and companies wanting to develop innovative products. The shift may be that companies develop innovative products and before even getting on market they will try to sell their technology to bigger companies who can handle better the regulatory hurdles and costs involved.

Wolf.K

Involved In Discussions
Yes, I think having a NB who prepares the reports without "undue delay" ;-) is a nice thing to have nowadays... We have our re-certification audit in two weeks, and still don't know if it will be according to 13485:2003/2012 or 13486:2016...

Randy

Super Moderator
Hi guys,

We have recently gotten our re-certification quote from the NB and they have quoted to audit us for 4 mandays. We a small company (OBL) with 10 ppl, five Class 1s devices and two Class II devices.

When we asked the NB to justify the claim, they said that the number is derived by a calculation based on the MD9 document, where OBL's are audited as a OEM (factory).

Does anyone know anything about this? Any additional information would be really helpful.

When pressed further, the NB simply said, we should look elsewhere if we are not satisfied with the mandays.
According to MD-9 on page 28 4 days is correct. Increase or decease in duration can be justified in some cases. MD-9 is free on the internet, just type IAF MD-5 for the link to a copy

Mor628

Involved In Discussions
Hi everyone, thanks for replying to the thread. I have just received a reply from MHRA, wanted to share in case anyone else has the same questions.
Note: Only applicable to UK based NB's.

Q: As the OBL, are we subjected to the same type of audit as an OEM? Even though we outsource all critical processes such as sterilization.
A: You should be subject to an audit but clearly there is no production for the NB to audit.

Q: Is the OBL audit mandays (a company of 10 staff) the same as the OEM audit mandays?
A: The NB should take into account that there is no production on site and therefore the number of man days should be less than that for the OEM.

Q: Is the IAF MD5 and MD9 reflective of a OBL company, which is not the same as auditing a manufacturing company with multiple departments and a larger workforce.
A: The guidance is normally used to work out man days but the NB should clearly reduce the time due to the fact that there is no production on site.

EthanLoh

Involved In Discussions
I used to work for a notified bodies and our re-certification man-day for 10 employees is 2.1 man-day.

However, if you have MDD and technical files to be reviewed, there are additional cost.
- MDD + 0.25 man-day
- Technical file review: 1.5 man-day (per file)
- Since you have 5 Class 1s devices and 2 Class II devices, I would normally select 1 class Is and 1 class II for review.

Total: 2.1 (QMS)+ 0.25 (MDD) + 3.0 (TF) = 5.35 man-day (5.5 round up) If you are a good client, give you a 10% discount :D

1 man-day is about Euro 1800

Overall, I think your NB is considered "Value for money". Please treasure them.

Last edited:

Mor628

Involved In Discussions
Hi all,

Just a quick update, I got in touch with ZLG and they agreed that the mandays were excessive. Below is the reply:

"for the audit duration time all accredited certification body in Germany use the IAF MD 09:2017 issue 3 for initial audit.
If the customer has no design, no production and only outsourced process (like PLM) the audit duration time was reduced, but not more than 20%."

They even called up the NB and got them to re-issue the quote. Took a really long time for them to respond, but glad we got some answers anyway.

If you need to get in touch with them, email [email protected]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B NB Auditor Rotation and Audit Mandays Duration Registrars and Notified Bodies 12
S How many mandays are required for QMS audit? Internal Auditing 5
G Integrated Systems Audit Mandays Duration - IAF Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Audit Mandays vs. Number of Company Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Auditors On Site Duration - Audit Mandays (ISO 9001) General Auditing Discussions 3
I How many mandays should the ISO9001 registration audit be? General Auditing Discussions 6
Marc Internal Audit Mandays - Is there a set, or minimum, number? Internal Auditing 4
K IAF Audit Mandays - 70 employee design office General Auditing Discussions 1
M 14001 Registration Audit Mandays ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
K Survey Audit Days (Mandays) - TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K Number of Required Audit Mandays - TS 16949:2002 Registrars and Notified Bodies 13
R External Audit and Certificate prorogation due to the pandemic General Auditing Discussions 10
Dean Bell Implementation of Controls as per SOA for Stage 2 Audit IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
G Logistic organization and controls - IATF/ISO 9001 audit Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Geoff Cotton Performing a Delta Audit General Auditing Discussions 12
N ISO 19011:2018 - 5.4.2 "...audit program should engage in appropriate continual development..." Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
G MSA check list to audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
L Open Positions During AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L Stage 2 audit - Requirement for 3 months of records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F Who can sit in/perform an API audit? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 5
G Self Assessment Audit from a new potential customer General Auditing Discussions 3
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M OEM asking for NC report after certification audit. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Ooi Yew Jin Customer E audit preparation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
J Remote Audit Experiences - June 2020 General Auditing Discussions 26
F Product audit sampling plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
Stefan Mundt AS9100D Major nonconformity due to recurrence of a NC during a subsequent CB audit. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Q ISO 9001:2015 man days for surveillance audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
F ISO 13485 - EU countries that could request another audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
H Layered audit updates after COVID-19 shutdowns Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 0
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Armen Conflict of Interest if I audit the QC department? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
V Generic IATF 16949 Audit Checklist wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A NB (Notified Body) Audit of Standards ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
N Audit non-compliance - API Spec Q1 9th Ed 5.6.1.2 b Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
M Any way to execute VDA 6.3 audit remotely? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
D Audit for ISO and AS 91XX and mitigating exposure to COVID-19 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
D Postpone IATF 16949 audit due to COVID-19 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 41
JoCam Certified Body Audit of MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23