Audit Nonconformances - Can reported corrective actions be incomplete?

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
If you receive non-conformances during an audit, then you need to report back within a certain time frame on the corrective actions. Do the corrective actions need to be completed when you report back or can they be in-process (i.e. ongoing)?

AliGuff

Starting to get Involved
Your auditor should have explained the procedure or it may be on the audit report. On my recent 14001 audit I was told to submit an action plan within 30 days, ie what you plan to do to address the NCs. The actions themselves would be checked at the next 14001 audit.

I always try and get the actions done in as shorter time as possible so they are not hanging around or forgotten.

AndyN

Moved On
We don't know the type of audit this is. It's difficult to comment with accuracy, as a result. A CB audit can be very different to others.

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
We don't know the type of audit this is. It's difficult to comment with accuracy, as a result. A CB audit can be very different to others.

ISO9001 Exnternal audit - corrective actions are due in 30 days but the execution of the actions is ongoing.

JoshuaFroud

Involved In Discussions
Is that your Notified Body audit? or a customer auditing you to ISO 9001 requirements?

If you have been told "corrective actions are due within 30 days of the audit" then that is usually just the action plan is due rather than a fully completed an implemented corrective action.

As corrective action will usually include some form of verification of effectiveness. It could well be impossible to open, design, implement and verify the effectiveness of the implemented actions of a non-conformance, all within 30 days depending on the processes impacted.

If, however, you are unsure; the best course of action is to go back to your auditor and ask. They are people too! and will usually respond well to clarification requests.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
If you receive non-conformances during an audit, then you need to report back within a certain time frame on the corrective actions. Do the corrective actions need to be completed when you report back or can they be in-process (i.e. ongoing)?
As AliGuff already mentioned, this should have been covered during the exit meeting. Did your CB perform an exit meeting? Did s/he cover this aspect of the process? While corrective actions need not to be fully implemented in 30 days, the more evidence of effective resolution you can provide the CB remotely, the less time they will have to spend on the subsequent audit on that part.

Most CB's expect corrective actions implemented within 3 months, as a rule of thumb. If that can't happen, for special circumstances, such as long term actions, CB's expect some plan and means of monitoring progress.

Top Bottom