Audit of off line sites such as Sales offices by 3rd Party Assessor

K

kevin.reilly

Audit of off line sites by 3rd Party Assessor

Hi
I am quality manager for an electronics company in Scotland. Hello and congratulations on a very useful forum. My question is regarding contridictory information I am getting from Assessor and my reading of the Rules. I think that the 3rd party assessor has to audit all off-line sites. Specifically we have sales offices in two other countries that I think this applies to. However the opinion from the assessor is that, if all the information is present at the loacl site, there is no need to visit the off site offices.

Sorry if its a basic question but your answers will be apprieciated.

K

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
IMO, if your assessor s satisfied with the documentation you have at your local site then I would see no problem. You could, however, formallly request in writing that your assessor audit the off-sites. You could also present this tio the IOAB for review.

T

tomvehoski

Kevin,

Your assessor seems to make sense. If it is only sales that is taking place at the other offices you will probably have the information they need to verify at the manufacturing site.

If you want to have the other offices listed on your certificate, it may be necessary to visit them. Non-manufacturing sites cannot be registered to 16949 alone, but can be listed as support sites.

Assume your manufacturing plant is in Scotland and you have a sales office in the US. If you want the US office to be able to tell customers they are certified, a visit is probably required. If it is acceptable to have them say "the plant in Scotland is certified, we are just a sales office", then I would save the cost and only have the main site in Scotland audited.

Hope this helps,

Tom

G

Gayle215

The rule states that for multiple site cerification, "sampling" of sites is not allowed. What I'm not clear on is the statement "the audit of a design center shall cover the complete scope of that center".
At our corporate headquarters we provide the sales and Design/Development for our manufacturing companies. Does this mean we will be audited on areas such as management responsibility, process links and interaction of areas outside of Sales and Design/Development? Though we cannot hold certification we would like to be compliant in all areas, to complement our mfg. co. but have not concentrated on transitioning documents, etc to meet TS.
I'm told only the Quality Manual was submitted so I don't know how readiness was determined for our processes.

Sorry for the long wind but, I'm getting conflicting information and not sure what we need to do to support the mfg. co.

Any input would be appreciated

V

Valeri

We are certified to ISO/TS 16949:2002 and have multiple site certifications. We have Division headquarters and a design & development center which are listed on all site certificates. The audit at division consists of management review, purchasing, sales, human resources, document control, quality records, internal audits and corrective/preventive actions. The audit at the design & development center includes the document control, quality records, internal audits and corrective/preventive actions in addition to the normal design activities.

R

ralphsulser

Off site support functions part of site audit?

I too am wrangling with this. A registrar, and a consultant have told us that since we have sites in Japan, (Corporate Hdqtrs) providing APQP, FMEA, Control Plan and Process design information documents, plus a sales office in Detroit that handles RFQs that they will have to be audited as part of our TS16949:2002 certification process.
When we receive the info from Japan on process design, and APQP, FMEAS, Control Plans, Operator Process Instructions, etc, we then modify these documents to match the exact plant process consitions and change them prior to PPAP submission.

Another consultant stated that we could treat the Japan facility as a subcontractor to get by the audit requirement, but the sales office would have to be audited for contract review. Today, one of our plants in Hungay said they got TS certified with out any requirements for off site audits.Now the president wants to know why we do.
Any help to clarify this would be appreciated. :bonk:

R

ralphsulser

ralphsulser said:
I too am wrangling with this. A registrar, and a consultant have told us that since we have sites in Japan, (Corporate Hdqtrs) providing APQP, FMEA, Control Plan and Process design information documents, plus a sales office in Detroit that handles RFQs that they will have to be audited as part of our TS16949:2002 certification process.
When we receive the info from Japan on process design, and APQP, FMEAS, Control Plans, Operator Process Instructions, etc, we then modify these documents to match the exact plant process consitions and change them prior to PPAP submission.

Another consultant stated that we could treat the Japan facility as a subcontractor to get by the audit requirement, but the sales office would have to be audited for contract review. Today, one of our plants in Hungay said they got TS certified with out any requirements for off site audits.Now the president wants to know why we do.
Is there anyone who can help clarify the above

S
ralphsulser said:

#1 - Although consultants provide a worthwhile service there opinions pertaining to this issue will fall on deaf ears.
You registrar has the final word. If you do not agree with your registrar ask them to set a meeting with the IAOB to attempt resolution.
As for your plant in Hungay I can only assume that the registrar/auditor was not made aware of support sites. The "Rules" are very clear on this issue.

#2 - Para 2.3 of the "Rules" "Supporting functions on site or remote e.g., engineering, contract review, purchasing, warehouses, shall be included in the initial and on-going surveillance audits. Audit palnning and execution shall take into account all supporting sites and support activities, and the interfaces between them shall be defined and audited. The certification body audit plan shall reflect all applicable clauses at each location. Supporting functions shall be audited as they support a site but cannot obtain independent ISO/Ts 16949 certification. Design function, on site or remote, shall undergo surveillance audits at least once within each consecutive 12 month period."

R

ralphsulser

Sam, Thanks for your reply. However am I missing something regarding the "Rules 2.3" you referenced?
I have the TS Guidence, TS Specification, and TS Assessment Check List books, but do not have a "Rules" book. is there one I am missing?
Thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A A purpose of a Stage 1 audit - Off site document review Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
Z Supplier Qualification Audit on site or off site? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
S CAR not closed off by the time next Audit rolls around ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
C Standards off Limits during a 3rd party audit? General Auditing Discussions 31
M Long hard work pays off - 8 months - ISO9001 Certification Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
T Internal Audit of Off-Site Projects Internal Auditing 12
M Audit Criteria Training Materials Internal Auditing 1
K New supplier audit as per V3.1 by French Automotive OEM General Auditing Discussions 2
S Complexity Rating - CB adding another audit day for "high complexity" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
U Internal Auditor not trained but done Audit for some process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
B Looking for 10 Internal Audit Online Training Participants ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
K MDSAP Audit Approach 2020 for Brazil Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
K MDSAP Audit Approach 2020 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B IATF16949 audit requirement - Auditor request UCL and LCL must be show Xbar-R, IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
T COVID, Furlough and ISO9001 Surveillance Audit Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
R External Audit and Certificate prorogation due to the pandemic General Auditing Discussions 10
Dean Bell Implementation of Controls as per SOA for Stage 2 Audit IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
G Logistic organization and controls - IATF/ISO 9001 audit Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Geoff Cotton Performing a Delta Audit General Auditing Discussions 12
N ISO 19011:2018 - 5.4.2 "...audit program should engage in appropriate continual development..." Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
G MSA check list to audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
L Open Positions During AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L Stage 2 audit - Requirement for 3 months of records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F Who can sit in/perform an API audit? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 7
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 6
G Self Assessment Audit from a new potential customer General Auditing Discussions 3
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M OEM asking for NC report after certification audit. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Ooi Yew Jin Customer E audit preparation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
J Remote Audit Experiences - June 2020 General Auditing Discussions 30
F Product audit sampling plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
Stefan Mundt AS9100D Major nonconformity due to recurrence of a NC during a subsequent CB audit. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Q ISO 9001:2015 man days for surveillance audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
F ISO 13485 - EU countries that could request another audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
H Layered audit updates after COVID-19 shutdowns Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 0
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Armen Conflict of Interest if I audit the QC department? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
V Generic IATF 16949 Audit Checklist wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A NB (Notified Body) Audit of Standards ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
N Audit non-compliance - API Spec Q1 9th Ed 5.6.1.2 b Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
M Any way to execute VDA 6.3 audit remotely? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2