Audit report writing course - Suggestions wanted

Adaym

Involved In Discussions
hello all, if anyone suggest any online course in order to improve the Audit report and non-conformance statements. Besides covering all concepts it would have ample numbers of cases and examples for practicing purpose.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
hello all, if anyone suggest any online course in order to improve the Audit report and non-conformance statements. Besides covering all concepts it would have ample numbers of cases and examples for practicing purpose.
While there is a lot of good information out there (see the website on ELSMAR Home page - bottom).

The best teacher is experience. Start looking at supplier response and be critical, focus on root cause and begin the joy of effective writing.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I'd suggest taking a classroom internal auditor course and then coming back and teaching your people, using real-world examples that relate to your business.

Most audit reports and NC statements are awful -- I commend you for trying to do better here. :agree1:

Adaym

Involved In Discussions
Thanks, Mike. I had gone through an Internal Auditor Course, practiced all course test questions as well. Looking further to a professional course for same. Somewhere else I don't recollect I;ve seen someone's credentials stating such course.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Audit reports are set by the organization for internal auditors. Consultants can develop their own formats. I have seen different versions and noticed they vary widely.

I noticed from your posts that you have been working through the IRCA certification process. IRCA has published a Write Better Audit Reports article.

I suggest you heed IRCA's advice but communicate your message in a language and style that your customer would understand. Internal audit reports are usually much shorter than consultants' reports, for the sake of their ease of use and the fact they may be delivered to a process owner who might not appreciate a long, detailed document.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
What is expected per the standard or per the documented SOP or per the responsible manager statement ....
What is the NC with respect to this expectation... In the audited records, documents, activities observation, auditee statement ....
The reference of the above requirement and NC ....
This much for the NC statement.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Adaym,

I think you need more practice and experience than formal schooling.

Internal audit reports should be relatively brief. The auditees should not be learning much from the report, they should already know how things went and what was found. No surprises in the audit report!

My summary reports include participants, strengths, OFI's, observations, and major and minor nonconformities.

The latter 2 items are what are most often poorly written, IMO. I list the requirement, the finding, and the objective evidence supporting the finding. Use the golden rule -- make your audit reports look like what you would like to see given to you.

You could write up a hypothetical report and submit it here for critique.

Randy

Super Moderator
If you're doing 3rd party cert type reports it's not so much what you say or how you say it, it's whether or not the report will pass technical review and an ANAB audit

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
If you're doing 3rd party cert type reports it's not so much what you say or how you say it, it's whether or not the report will pass technical review and an ANAB audit
..and that changes everyday with the same reviewer or ANAB observer.

info that should be in your report:

Just state the facts, have plenty of objective evidence to support your report and ... after completing the report - read it backwards to see if it makes sense

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
hello all, if anyone suggest any online course in order to improve the Audit report and non-conformance statements.
I am not aware of any online course for this, but I would offer (expanding on the tip from Jen Kirley) for you to familiarize yourself with two of the papers:

Also, remember who is the "intended audience" for the reports. Write them in a way that makes the documents appealing to be read because they contain content and language that entice the recipients to actually read it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Secretly Auditing - Writing an audit report with observations based on my experiences Internal Auditing 12
A Writing an Internal Audit Report Finding for Employee Awareness of QMS Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Q Writing appropriate ISO 13485 Audit Report Findings Internal Auditing 15
B Seeking help in writing an audit report that can stand on the court Internal Auditing 6
M Guidelines in writing an audit report and determing the best auditor General Auditing Discussions 11
M OEM asking for NC report after certification audit. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
T ISO 27001 sample audit report IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
Ajit Basrur Withdrawal of Audit Report Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
K Student wanting Case Study about Internal Audit Report Internal Auditing 1
Coury Ferguson Report the CB... Certification Audit (IATF 16949) not to ISO 17021 Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
W ERP Audit Trail audit by FDA? Regular audit trail report template? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
E Example of 9001:2015 audit report with non-conformances ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Stage 1 audit observations - documented report? General Auditing Discussions 5
G Design and development of user centric audit report visualisation tool Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
JoshuaFroud Saudi Arabia - Insistence on a signed NB audit report (When one does not exist) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 15
T ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.2.2 Internal Audit - Corrective Action Report Format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A ISO/TS 16949 - Sharing Certification Audit Report (NCR's) with the Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
marmotte Malaysia - Auditor Requires an Updated Audit Report Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
H Part 147 AMTO Audit Plan example and Audit Report Format wanted EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
S Why auditee names are not mentioned in Audit Report? General Auditing Discussions 2
L Registrar Audit Report Length General Auditing Discussions 6
C API Q1 9th Edition Internal Audit Checklist /Report Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 22
L Release of Audit Results Report to 3rd Party ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
G Internal Audit Report Forms ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
T 8.2.2 Internal Audit Checklist - Is an Audit Report Required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Internal Quality Audit Tracking Sheet with Auto Report Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
A Audit Report Findings for an audit conducted yesterday General Auditing Discussions 10
M The steps that my ISMS Internal Audit Report has to Contain IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
Gert Sorensen FDA Voluntary Audit Report Submission Pilot Program now a final guidance document 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
Howard Atkins Is there a time frame for CBs to submit the TS 16949 Audit Report? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
R Is an Audit Report needed for SFDA Medical Devices Registration? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
K Is use of API's Audit Report format for Internal Audit OK or is it an Overkill? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 7
J What is the time limit for an auditor to respond to NCR's and submit audit report? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
Q The Internal Audit Report will be submitted to myself Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
R Internal Audit Report Nonconformance Follow Ups Internal Auditing 5
V Report Format for a Quality Assurance Audit Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Casana The right way to Report Internal Audit Results Internal Auditing 20
S Audit on Manufacturing Processes - a) Audit Checklist, and b) Detailed Audit Report Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 13
P Internal Audit Report - Sample wanted Internal Auditing 6
R ISO 13485 Surveillance Audit Nonconformances and Report Help Needed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
S Internal Audit Closure Certification Report - FDA Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
Q Internal Audit Report Acceptance Internal Auditing 10
S Internal ISO 9001:2008 Audit Summary Report wanted General Auditing Discussions 4
M What to do when Auditee refuses to sign Audit Report General Auditing Discussions 91
S Customer Requesting 3rd Party Audit Report (AIB) - Help! Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 17
E ISO 9001:2008 Audit Report template - Footwear Industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
N Second Party (Supplier) Audit - Audit Schedule and Audit Report Template/Format General Auditing Discussions 3
AnaMariaVR2 Pros & Cons of FDA viewing QAU Audit Report Findings US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
G Internal Audit Report Meeting - Who should be present? Internal Auditing 19