Audit Reports - Typed or Hand Written?

Shaun Daly

Involved In Discussions
I have been training a new internal auditor (shes a natural, best Ive ever seen) and she asked an interesting question;

"Cant we type these audit reports up instead of hand writing them?"

TBH I have always hand written them as I was trained that way, and have never really given it another thought.

In principle i think its a good idea, especially considering my handwriting :)

As long as there are signatures from the auditee/department head present it sounds feasible for the auditor to type the findings up?

Opinions & comments from experiance very welcome please.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
I hand write my audit notes, but always type the audit report. In some cases (such as with a gap analysis) I may also transcribe my complete audit notes on my laptop as well. I'm lazy though, so I use voice recognition software to help me. :D

One of the companies I'm consulting with is in the process of buying a tablet PC with handwriting recognition to use for their internal audits. That way they can go straight to the electronic record. I'm anxious to see how that turns out...

J

Jimmy Olson

All of our internal audit reports are done electronically and we haven't had any problem. When we have our external audits we receive the report on a floppy disk for distribution.

Doing it this way makes it a lot easier to generate the report and to store it. :)

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
For years I have printed audit reports. Most companies that I have seen also do this. Supplier audits have also been printed.
The important matter is to define in your procedure the maximum time betwee the audit and the report.

Typed... Nobody likes my handwriting.

We manage our entire audit system in an Access application. That includes reports, checklists, CAR's and follow up.

Paper copies of the reports, complete with checklists and notes goes to those concerned by the audit and all reports are also published on our intranet, where every single coworker can read them...

Btw: You know what, Shaun? My handwriting is abysmal too. :vfunny:

Another matter: You said "I have been training a new internal auditor (shes a natural, best Ive ever seen)". That provoked a thought. I opened the thread Your description of a natural born auditor? so we can discuss what being a natural really means when it comes to auditing.

/Claes

Last edited:

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Our Internal Audit Report packages are typed, primarily for legibilitiy reasons. When I do an audit, my notes are a bunch of checkmarks, circles, and shorthand...frankly, I don't think an External Auditor would buy that as being legible as I'm the only one who can decipher it.

Audit Teams generate a typed version of their notes/checklists and the Audit Report is typed too.

However, that being said, IAR packages are maintained hard copy as records? Why? Because there are also attendance records for the opening and closing meetings, as well as signatures required from the Audit Team members for their Planning/Preparation meeting(s).

A

Aaron Lupo

howste said:
I hand write my audit notes, but always type the audit report. In some cases (such as with a gap analysis) I may also transcribe my complete audit notes on my laptop as well. I'm lazy though, so I use voice recognition software to help me. :D

One of the companies I'm consulting with is in the process of buying a tablet PC with handwriting recognition to use for their internal audits. That way they can go straight to the electronic record. I'm anxious to see how that turns out...
Yep, I hand write my notes during the actual audit then type a report summarzing what I observed.

Joe Cruse

Mopar or No Car
We generally do an audit report, summarizing the notes and all from the audit checklist. We still keep the audit checklist in the internal audit file though. I've gone and typed up a copy of the checklist before, because my handwriting is microscopic and abyssmal (according to some :ko: ), and the registrar auditor has always remarked on "someone's handwriting" before. I quit doing that because I'm only duplicating the work when I do an audit report.

Joe

C

Craig H.

I/we do an audit plan in a Word template, then handwritten audit notes are input into the same template to be printed as the final report.

Our external auditor has a handhelp computer that he types notes in as we go through the audit. He has the capability to use IR to download these notes into a laptop, where he can complete the report and print it. Its a very slick setup.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Our checklist notes are handwritten but any "reports" are typed up and distributed as needed. The nonconformances are identified in the checklists as a "fail" and entered into our audit corrective actions database.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Internal Audits - Closing Audit Deficiency Reports (ISO 13485) Internal Auditing 4
L CE Auditor Using ISO audit reports to show compliance to the MDD?? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P Internal Audit Reports reviewed by management? 21 CFR 820.22 Interpretation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
K Process Owners signing Internal Audit Reports Internal Auditing 6
K Evidence Documentation in Internal Audit Reports Internal Auditing 24
Ajit Basrur FDA guidance on accepting audit reports by other auditors/regulators US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
C Practical Examples of completed ISO 19011:2011 Audit Reports General Auditing Discussions 5
T Managing Audit Reports and Schedules General Auditing Discussions 3
K Do you think there is merit to sending audit reports to customers? General Auditing Discussions 26
J Internal Audit Reports - Is it acceptable if received after due date? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P Measurement of Performance based on Internal Audit Reports Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 12
P Boss doesn't want Nonconformances called Nonconformances in Internal Audit Reports ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 72
B Writing Techniques for Audit Findings, Reports, etc. Internal Auditing 15
Q Internal Audit Reports - Examples sharing Internal Auditing 7
C Customer Right to View Certification Body Audit Reports? General Auditing Discussions 11
tsmith7858 AIB International takes a Hit for PCA Audit Reports but everyone is impacted Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
R Looking for Internal Audit Consulting Reports Internal Auditing 2
J Do you write positive comments in audit reports General Auditing Discussions 74
M One weakness of audit non-conformance reports is the poor writing Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 10
Joe Cruse Internal Audit Reports - Mandatory to keep original paper copy? Internal Auditing 16
V Internal Audit Reports - Is it wise to list specific employee names Internal Auditing 11
M Layered Process Audit (LPA) - Discipline in completely filling in the reports Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 3
M Supporting Sites, Separate Certificates and Audit Reports - IAOB TS 16949 rules? Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
J Nonconformance reports written only through internal audit findings? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
B IATF16949 audit requirement - Auditor request UCL and LCL must be show Xbar-R, IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
T COVID, Furlough and ISO9001 Surveillance Audit Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
R External Audit and Certificate prorogation due to the pandemic General Auditing Discussions 10
Dean Bell Implementation of Controls as per SOA for Stage 2 Audit IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
G Logistic organization and controls - IATF/ISO 9001 audit Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Geoff Cotton Performing a Delta Audit General Auditing Discussions 12
N ISO 19011:2018 - 5.4.2 "...audit program should engage in appropriate continual development..." Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
G MSA check list to audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
L Open Positions During AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L Stage 2 audit - Requirement for 3 months of records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F Who can sit in/perform an API audit? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 5
G Self Assessment Audit from a new potential customer General Auditing Discussions 3
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M OEM asking for NC report after certification audit. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Ooi Yew Jin Customer E audit preparation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
J Remote Audit Experiences - June 2020 General Auditing Discussions 26
F Product audit sampling plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
M Supplier Audit Report - Template for second party audit wanted Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
Stefan Mundt AS9100D Major nonconformity due to recurrence of a NC during a subsequent CB audit. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1