Audit Scheduling for TS16949 - Audit split up by several 'working days'

Hello Everyone,
Sorry I've been inactive for so long. Verrrrry busy here!

Background:
We registered to TS16949 with a 4 day audit 20 June 2005 through 23 June 2005. Audit closed 22 July 2005. Our certificate is dated 01 August 2005 and is valid through 31 July 2008. We had a 2 day Periodic Audit #1 24 & 25 January 2006. Our 2 day Periodic Audit #2 was scheduled for 20 & 21 July 2006.

So, our auditor has a travelling delay and will only be here 21 July 2006 (Friday). Scheduling may prohibit finishing the audit on 24 July 2006 (Monday). It is my understanding that TS rules prohibit "split" audits (i.e. 2 days separated by working days).

Question:
Can we do a one day audit and pick up the other day in January 2007 with Periodic Audit #3? Do we need to just reschedule both days for, say, August 2007? I have a less than complete understanding of the TS rules for Registrars.

-Icy Mt.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
OK, I might have answered my own question.
Automotive Sertification Scheme for ISO/TS 16949:2002 Rules for achieving IATF recognition said:
Audited entity: Number of employees = 55-71, Minimum audit days for Stage 2 site audit = 5.0
Requirements on Audit Days #9. The number of audit days during the period of validity of the certificate shall be the number of initial audit days in the calculation illustrated in the table above. There shall be at least one surveillance audit per year (minus three months, plus one month). Surveillance audits shall be of equal duration and rounded up to the nearest half day.
So, I still have 55-71 employees. Doesn't the above mean I only need to have 5 surveillance audit days, TOTAL, between my July 2005 Stage 2 audit and my June 2008? At least 3 annual audits of 2 days each. My contract is for 2 audit days every 6 months (Jan 06, July 06, Jan 07, July 07, Jan 08). Haven't we already satisfied the requirement for the July 05 to July 06 period?
-Icy

T

Teresa1000

Icy Mountain said:
Doesn't the above mean I only need to have 5 surveillance audit days, TOTAL, between my July 2005 Stage 2 audit and my June 2008? At least 3 annual audits of 2 days each. My contract is for 2 audit days every 6 months (Jan 06, July 06, Jan 07, July 07, Jan 08). Haven't we already satisfied the requirement for the July 05 to July 06 period?
-Icy
Hmm… In my limited understanding of 3rd party audits, it seems you’ll need 2 annual surveillance audits for a total of 5 audit days. (July 2006 & July 2007). Around July 2008 you’ll have a Re-certification audit for another 3.5 audit days (employees remaining constant). If the contract with your Certification Body is for 2 audit days every 6 months, by my calculation you’ll have 10 audit days by the time you're due for the re-cert audit (Jan. 2006, July 2006, Jan 2007, July 2007, Jan 2008). This says to me that you don’t really need Friday’s audit as far as audit days go.

However, in Auto Cert Scheme, Rules 2 under clause 9.3.1.1 “The certification body shall have an established program for carrying out periodic surveillance audits….” I’m not sure you can skip or reduce this month’s audit.

I work for a company with ~ 180 employees and we just had an annual surveillance audit for 3.5 days. I’m not sure we can handle one every six months.

Hope this helps

V

vanputten

Hello Icy Mountain:

Our TS surveillance audits are 9 days. More than once those 9 days have been split up - not all consecutive business days.

I don't know the rule but we have had non-consecutive audit days multiple times in the past.

Regards,

Dirk

DNV approved a 1.2 day audit. Our business day runs from 6 AM to 5 PM. For the reasons listed above this is satisfactory to satisfy the IATF. There is some leeway for unforseen circumstances.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Usually you're only allowed to do one day's audit in a 24-hour period. But, in order to cover shift work I've had to do more than one day's auditing within a day for TS 16949 surveillance audits. For example with a three-shift operation I had to come in early in the morning to cover the early shift and day shift. I had to take an extended break (roughly four hours), then come in to cover the night shift.

The TS "Rules" document says: "The number of audit days may not be reduced by programming longer hours per work day. The only exception is on days when shift work is being covered..."

As far as splitting up the audit into non-consecutive days, I don't see anything in the rules that prohibits it.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Icy Mountain said:
OK, I might have answered my own question.
So, I still have 55-71 employees. Doesn't the above mean I only need to have 5 surveillance audit days, TOTAL, between my July 2005 Stage 2 audit and my June 2008? At least 3 annual audits of 2 days each. My contract is for 2 audit days every 6 months (Jan 06, July 06, Jan 07, July 07, Jan 08). Haven't we already satisfied the requirement for the July 05 to July 06 period?
-Icy

You need to discuss this with your registrar. This is important stuff to your certificate, and you don't want an auditor to accidently mess it up.

If I am doing the math correctly, the Rules 2nd ed, Annex 3, pg 23 says for 55-71 employees:

Stage 2 audit - 5.0 days, not 4.0. If not design responsible, deduct 15%.
If upgrade from QS-9000, you may deduct 30% as well, which would get you to the 4 days.

Annual surveillance - 5.0 / 3 = 1.67 days, which rounds up to 2.0 days per year. If you do a semi-annual cycle, then it is 2.0 / 2 = 1.0 day per surveillance.

Recert audit - would be 3.5 days in place of the surveillance audit the third year.

Split audits are not permitted.

Thanks for the answers guys. Since our original audit was 5 days and we have a contracted schedule with DNV to do 2 days every 6 months, we would have had 10 audit days between certification and recertification. Reducing this by one day and still maintaining "established programme" schedule doesn't pose a rules problem.
-Icy

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Scheduling a Crisis Management Audit? Reasonable Request? Internal Auditing 2
Q Scheduling IATF 16949 Audits - Audit Man-Days IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
B AS9120 Internal Audit Scheduling & Planning AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
I CB Scheduling ISO9001 Surveillance Audit 15 Months past Re-Cert Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
SATHYABALARAMAN Process assessment & scheduling the audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A Risk Based Internal Quality Audit Scheduling and Planning Internal Auditing 2
R Internal Audit Scheduling Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 21
L How to Audit Procurement and Maintenance Scheduling Activities General Auditing Discussions 5
N Registrar Expectations from Customer in Audit Scheduling Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
P Suggestions on conducting an Internal Audit on 7.5.1.6 Production Scheduling IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Scheduling or Creating a Global Audit Schedule - Examples General Auditing Discussions 5
S TS 16949 Internal Audit Scheduling - Seeking Advice Internal Auditing 10
C ISO 14001 Internal Audit - Opportunity for Improvement ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
J Stage 2 audit initial cert, few data points ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Corrections not allowed during audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
P Looking to outsource Internal Audit - MDSAP competent auditor needed Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9
R GFE Audit - Violation? GFE Location Controls AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
D Help Me. Non conformitty in External Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
M How to answer ISO9001:2015 audit finding of old revisions of documents being used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B UKRP to what level should you audit Class I Technical Documentation? UK Medical Device Regulations 0
I Audit is tomorrow but I refused to participate Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 16
I ISO 17025:2017 / ANAB 3125 - Articulating / Communicating Risks vis-a-vis Audit Findings ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
D Verify Audit Trail of SaaS system Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
D Re-labeler - audit the supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Outsourced Internal Audit requirements for Aerospace Suppliers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 21
A PPAP question for audit APQP and PPAP 16
D Number of people to be interviewed during an internal audit? Internal Auditing 6
B Gamma Quarterly Audit Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A Anxiety - ISO Re-registration Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 69
Ed Panek Auditor MDR (Presub audit) finding EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Q Easy CARs for Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
D Question and advice for a supplier self audit questionnaire ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Quarterly Dose Audit Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
H When is a SOC 2 audit necessary? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
J NCR- Failure of contract review process - NADCAP audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
D Special IATF audit of sub-supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
A Internal audit plan and processes for ISO 14001:2015 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
D Question on using audit checklist ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
C API Q1 internal audit report Internal Auditing 3
P Filled in F48/F49 for internal audit ISO 17025:2017 Internal Auditing 2
A IRIS audit - Discussion about Special Processes General Auditing Discussions 11
J Internal audit random sampling methodology Internal Auditing 2
D Major NC from last audit not fixed not sure how to fix General Auditing Discussions 10
X Sample SOC2 audit report (or a redacted one) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
D Lead time to schedule an ISO 13485 audit General Auditing Discussions 2
G Organizing internal audit program for an Integrated QHSE Management System Internal Auditing 13
S Does anyone have a checklist to prepare for ISO 13485, Stage I audit? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
W How do you phrase your internal audit questions? Internal Auditing 3
Z Steps to take before an MDSAP audit for Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 2