Auditing 4.17

E

Eli Black

New to the board, so hi all. :)

Anyway, my question is this:

Can the internal auditors of my company audit element 4.17?

I am the Lead Auditor and two OTHER internal auditors will audit the element, is this compliant with the ISO 9000 standard? We are working towards ISO 9001-1994 (long story short, we started the process before the release of the 2000 revision so our registrar will still allow us to register as 1994).

From my understanding an auditor cannot audit a process which he or she is directly responsible for. Since I am the Lead Auditor I am clearly responsible, but are the auditors "directly" responsible and unable to audit the element?

My trainer believes that the element can be internally audited by the auditors, just not by the Lead Auditor. My company just had an external audit by our parent company (not out registrars) and he believes that the auditors cannot.

Any answers out there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

David Mullins

but of course

Welcome.
A quick search of the forum will find a couple of recent threads on this topic, and the answer is - ofcourse they can.

Whom ever from the parent company that did the audit has their head up their :ca:

To put your mind completely at ease, telephone your registrar and pose the question to them. What if you were a one person company - you'd even have to audit your own work, which whilst strictly a no-no, the standard is intended to improve management and processes, not be a millstone.

Other strategies have included getting some other manager to review and sign-off the audit report. Include your ecternal audit in your internal aschedule and get them to audit internal auditng every time they visit. Etc.

Carry on. You're doing fine.

Cheers.

B

Bruce Wade

What's 4.17? I cannot seem to find it in my copy of ISO 9001:2000. (Humor, this late in the day...)

In my interpretation: Yes, internal auditors may audit your internal audit process. No, the Lead Auditor, Management Representative or anyone else having direct responsibility for scheduling, overseeing the process or taking timely corrective action in response to audit findings cannot be involved in the process.

If you cannot use your trained internal auditors to perform this audit, whom do you use? Do you train additional internal auditors to audit the internal audit process? Would they then be used to perform other audits to keep current? (Would be an interesting way to swell the ranks of internal auditors!)

Only one caveat: those who audit the internal audit process must remain independent of the actual process, including scheduling and follow up of internal audits. Otherwise would result in significant conflict of interest, as it would be in their "best interest" not to identify nonconformances.

A

Al Dyer

What ever happened to the days when we could take any person in the company and say "please audit me"? One of the best audits to one of my audit systems that was performed per a checklist and a copy of the standard.

Now how about this, I had a discrepancy that he found and because of my position I was able to talk him out of it. Is that fair, NO

Consider internal auditing a training process and kill two birds with one stone. Anybody that works in a semi-modern manufacturing facility is able to follow a checklist and ask questions, and ask for proof.

Am I just being the red headed step child in saying that internal auditors need to know the companies system but not be QS/TS/ISO experts??????????

Like Marc said, I'm in a pessamistic mood today.

But after taling to judge stone, I feel much better now!

M

M Greenaway

ISO9001:2000 is slightly more relaxed on this.

It now says that auditors shouldnt audit there own work, i.e. they can audit the audit process, but not the audits that they themselves did.

It also now clearly states the requirement for objectivity in audit reports. So long as this is clear the integrity should be OK.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C List of MDSAP Auditing Organizations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
cscalise Suggestions for MDR Auditing tools EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Auditing of Support Function IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D ISO 13485, FDA 21 CFR 820 and Auditing the Accounting Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Risk based internal auditing Internal Auditing 6
Randy Remote auditing (for disaster, disease, disturbance etc...) during the Neo Coronavirus Pandemic and Social Distancing Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
K ANVISA B-GMP Auditing requirements for Contract Manufacturers Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
F AS9100D Internal auditing requirements Internal Auditing 3
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
G Best Practices for IT auditing - Is a session-id necessary for a complete audit trail? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C CE marking for general IVD (self-certified) & ISO 13485 QMS requirements - auditing EU Medical Device Regulations 6
blackholequasar Internal Auditing Inspiration - Getting volunteers to perform internal audits. Internal Auditing 22
W Internal Auditing carried out by a 3rd party - Review of previous audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
tony s What is the automotive process approach for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Internal Auditing for API Spec Q1 - auditor qualification requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
R I've been auditing for a CB for 18 years General Auditing Discussions 10
P Consultant Auditing Qualifications Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
M We still have not received our certificate due to a 'backlog' with our auditing body Registrars and Notified Bodies 25
N Online Internal Auditing Course for ISO 13485 - Suggestions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A Agenda for 8D audit on Supplier's side - Auditing Corrective Actions General Auditing Discussions 5
U Internal auditing - Company employees or contract second party Internal Auditing 10
J Recomended Values - Auditing process in a supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
M Canada - Registrars that allow e-auditing for ISO 9001? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
K Internal Auditing - Umbrella QMS and Multiple Standards Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
D Auditing Our Outsourced 2nd-3rd Party Internal Audit Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
supadrai Auditing Organization dragging their heels on issuing our MDSAP Surveillance Audit Confirmation Letter - everyone is nervous ... are we the only ones? Canada Medical Device Regulations 7
Ed Panek Supplier Auditing - No purchases from our key suppliers in the last 24 months ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
P Auditing "process validation" process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
qualprod Effective Auditing advice needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
M Acceptance of remote auditing techniques - Can you help me with my research? General Auditing Discussions 0
GStough Auditing Against Criteria Unfamiliar to Auditee - Yea or Nay? General Auditing Discussions 11
qualprod Auditing Product and Services doubts ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Auditing support and management processes General Auditing Discussions 7
F It is acceptable moving remote locations staff to manufacturing plant for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D MSDS / GHS Walk-through / Auditing Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
Pmarszal Supplier Auditing Services (Audit Needed?) General Auditing Discussions 4
S ISO 9001 Audit Observations - Transitioning my career into auditing Career and Occupation Discussions 16
G AS9101 Rev F - Worksheets for internal auditing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
N API Q2 clause 6.2.2.1 Auditing Outsourced Suppliers Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
M Auditing processes followed by employees placed on client's site Internal Auditing 4
S ISO 13485:2016 and MDSAP internal auditing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Auditing a Contractor in EMS and Non Conformity Report General Auditing Discussions 1
Richard Regalado ISMS Auditing Guideline V2 (based from ISO/IEC 27001:2013) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
S ISO 9001:2015 - Internal Auditing - Audit to the Standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Auditing Senior Management to determine the Effectiveness of Management Processes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R Internal Auditor auditing Internal Audit Procedure (AS9100) Internal Auditing 18