Auditing Management - Do I need to interview anyone in Executive Management?

M

Mark Smith

I recently included "Executive Management" as one of the auditees in my audit matrix. My intention was to verify at least once per year that executive management was meeting its committment to quality in so far as ISO elements 4.1 and 4.2 define it. Do I need to interview anyone in Executive mgmt to verify mgmt's committment to quality? I would rather just perform a desktop audit and verify that there are adequate resources and that Mgmt has been involved in a periodic "Management review".

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Dan Larsen

Generally, I've found "executive management" difficult to audit using interviews. The President typically considers it an afront to his business. I think the desktop audit would work...making sure procedures contain key phrases, checking carefully management review records to see what comments are offered by executive management, maybe interview other managers as to the amount of direction they get from executive management and how they get it (written directives, verbal during meetings, etc.)

If you watch and listen carefully during third party audits, I think you'll find that most often these sections are audited "quietly" and in the background. The auditor will have conversation with the exeutive management during or immediately after the opening meeting then move on to the audit of the system. My impression is that they get a feel for committment during the casual conversation. The true committment is evidenced by the effectiveness of the system and the involvement of executive management in setting objectives, management review, and other key meetings. For example, does the President push his managers by stressing even further improvements than they offer or does he/she simply "rubberstamp" what they say they can do?

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
I like the interview 'cause it is a dry run before the auditor comes ...presentation of the data is a big part of it...if the paper is there but the Mgt Team has no clue what it means...it is meaningless!!!!!

D

Doug Stimson

We also interview staff as part of internal audit program (VP and direct reports); keeps them involved. Our Registrar usually at least ask VP how he communicates policy and reinforces QMS.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Our managers have always been audited. They seem to be hurt if they don't get asked enough. More than once, I've spent time with someone who thought they must have done a "bad" job because they did not get asked all the questions they had thought they'd be asked. I just smile and tell them that they are doing so well that it shows without the additional questions. Hooray for commitment!

D

Dan Larsen

The point about an interview being a "dry run" for the registration/maintenance audit is well taken. I tend to work with small companies, and generally suggest just such an interview (read that as "audit") with the President before the day of the registration audit. But...these "dry runs" can get awfully uncomfortable at times! Most smaller companies are started by entrepreneurs who are touchy about having anyone "tell them what to do".

It does tend to help, though, in my estimation. Generally, they end up doing well with the auditor. I believe part of my job as the consultant is to let them vent with me rather than the registrar. And in the long haul, they tend to buy into the system...they recognize the system actually gives them better control in the long run.

On a continuing basis, though, I'd tend to shy away from direct interviews with the President/CEO. The indirect system works and is generally sufficient.

A

Alf Gulford

Mark-
I definately agree with the interviews. I try to schedule one with the General Manager before each surveillance audit by our registrar. Let [him/her] explain to you how they measure the effectiveness of the quality policy, how they ensure adequate resources, etc. The GM tells us (with a smile) that our internal audits are rougher on him than the registrar is but I think it's our job to keep him a little 'over-prepared.'

You might not have it quite so easy, but I think your registrar will be expecting to see this in your audit results.

Alf

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Auditing support and management processes General Auditing Discussions 7
B Auditing Senior Management to determine the Effectiveness of Management Processes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
L Auditing Top Management - Meeting Competency Requirements and Questions to Ask General Auditing Discussions 11
D Auditing Management Support - ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K Sample Questions for Auditing Management Rep , Internal Audit and Reg. Compliance Internal Auditing 7
Richard Regalado ISO/IEC 27007:2011 (ISMS) Information Security Management Systems Auditing IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 6
Q Auditing Management Review - Who audits the management review process? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M Auditing Test Management Software such as HP Quality Center (HPQC) Test Tool Internal Auditing 1
B Process Approach to Auditing Quality Management System Internal Auditing 12
B I have a question for people working in quality management auditing Career and Occupation Discussions 17
J Auditing the Project Management Office ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
H Quality Management Best Practices for Internal Auditing Internal Auditing 6
A Auditing the Internal Auditors and Management Review Internal Auditing 5
S Auditing - Should Management be Auditing? General Auditing Discussions 19
S Auditing the Top Management during the Opening Meeting of Internal Audit Internal Auditing 21
K Auditing the Internal Vendor (Supplier) Management Process Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
T OHSAS 18001 - Demonstrating and Auditing Management Commitment. Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 9
L Internal Auditing of Integrated Management Systems Internal Auditing 12
H Auditing Management Responsibility ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
W Problem getting help from upper management with our internal auditing program Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
C List of MDSAP Auditing Organizations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
cscalise Suggestions for MDR Auditing tools EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Auditing of Support Function IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D ISO 13485, FDA 21 CFR 820 and Auditing the Accounting Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Risk based internal auditing Internal Auditing 6
Randy Remote auditing (for disaster, disease, disturbance etc...) during the Neo Coronavirus Pandemic and Social Distancing Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
K ANVISA B-GMP Auditing requirements for Contract Manufacturers Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
F AS9100D Internal auditing requirements Internal Auditing 3
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
G Best Practices for IT auditing - Is a session-id necessary for a complete audit trail? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C CE marking for general IVD (self-certified) & ISO 13485 QMS requirements - auditing EU Medical Device Regulations 6
blackholequasar Internal Auditing Inspiration - Getting volunteers to perform internal audits. Internal Auditing 22
W Internal Auditing carried out by a 3rd party - Review of previous audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
tony s What is the automotive process approach for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Internal Auditing for API Spec Q1 - auditor qualification requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
R I've been auditing for a CB for 18 years General Auditing Discussions 10
P Consultant Auditing Qualifications Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
M We still have not received our certificate due to a 'backlog' with our auditing body Registrars and Notified Bodies 25
N Online Internal Auditing Course for ISO 13485 - Suggestions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A Agenda for 8D audit on Supplier's side - Auditing Corrective Actions General Auditing Discussions 5
U Internal auditing - Company employees or contract second party Internal Auditing 10
J Recomended Values - Auditing process in a supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
M Canada - Registrars that allow e-auditing for ISO 9001? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
K Internal Auditing - Umbrella QMS and Multiple Standards Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
D Auditing Our Outsourced 2nd-3rd Party Internal Audit Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
supadrai Auditing Organization dragging their heels on issuing our MDSAP Surveillance Audit Confirmation Letter - everyone is nervous ... are we the only ones? Canada Medical Device Regulations 7