Auditing Management Responsibility

H

hsjahrir

My company is under transition process to ISO 9001:2000.

To comply with ISO 9001:2000 we have undertaken gap analysis. The problems found in this gap analysis is how to audit management responsibility. How to ensure management commitment and how to find evidence that our management is taken responsibility to this system requirements.

Within the analysis, management only make an explanation verbally how they committed to the system.

Please make your advice in this problems.

Hsjahrir

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

M Greenaway

This sort of commitment can be viewed objectively through managment review meeting minutes to see who has attended from top management. Allocation of resources is also evidence of top management commitment. As is establishing quality policy and quality objectives.

Any others ??

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Communication is also key to Management Responsibility. It's all fine and dandy to have everything in place for a QMS, but this information needs to be communicated to every employee at every level.

It also needs to be stressed why you have a QMS. You may have one to meet Customer requirements or to address statutory/regulatory requirements or (harsh truth here for some industries) just to stay in business.

How components of the QMS are communicated is up to you. We have various tools in place at my company. Everything from a newsletter to huge signs showing results on our "Strong Goals" to crew and department meetings and so on.

H

hsjahrir

Thanks for your response.

I need your further comments in specific, how to audit clause 5.2, Customer Focus : "Top Management shall ensure that customer requirements are determined and are met with the aim of enhancing customer satisfaction".

When we have more than 50 customers, how come our top management can ensure that each customer requirements are determined.

Contract or order review is actually done by Sales Department and approved by Production Manager. Shall our top management to be involved in each contract review to meet this clause 5.2 requirements ?

Furthermore, please your comments how to audit clause 5.4.2.(b) : " the integrity of management system is maintained when changes to the quality management system are planned and implemented".

Your comments will be highly appreciated.

Hsjahrir

M

M Greenaway

This is a pretty bland requirement in the standard, and I understand your confusion.

Again like my previous comment Top Management ensure this happens by allocation of resources, etc. Not actually doing the job themselves.

The requirement is a bit broader than contract review also. It includes having systems and resources in place to collate data pertaining to customer satisfaction, analysis, and appropriate action.

As to clause 5.4.2.b you can only audit this if changes to the QMS have been implemented. A good example of this might be the acquisition of another company and the integration of its products into your product line - how is the quality of both your own product and the new product maintained. Evidence of quality planning on the new product might be a good starting point.

H

hsjahrir

Mr. Greenway,

Since objective evidence of management responsibility can be found from various source (e.g, from MR,sales dept,factory maintenance dept), is it means that no need to audit top management ?

For example, we can audit of communication by auditing sales/marketing. Or auditing factory maintenance to find out management commitment to provide infrastructure.

The only way we can directly audit top management is in management review.

So, what difference of this new standard with ISO 9001:1994 ?

Your comment, please.

Hsjahrir
:frust:

M

M Greenaway

Like you suggest I personally dont think, and wouldnt, audit Top Management commitment as an entity in itself.

However audit findings of activities in a certain area might, through audit trail, lead me back to evidence of a lack of top management commitment.

An example of this might be a planned internal audit that has slipped 3 months behind the scheduled date. Investigation might show that the auditor has not been allowed to undertake this audit due to other demands placed on him/her by their manager (this does occur in my experience). THis may suggest a lack of top management commitment to the QMS.

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
the auditor would look at the management review minutes content...what support is offered, followed up and acted on especially for resources...what about the quality planning stuff...do they walk the talk or just give lip service?

It is typically quite clear...the goals ond obj. .... are they communicated and supported at all levels of the facility? Ask the 'why' questions and listen carefully to the answers....pride in the system typically indicates committment on the top most level...is the head houncho involved or absent? each one can be taken individually and excused away, but bottom line.....it is usually quite clear, a gut feel based on facts from the interview and records.

V

Vash Stampede

Originally quoted by Hsjahrir:
"How to ensure management commitment and how to find evidence that our management is taken responsibility to this system requirements. "

On our side the management was been performing their daily Operation's Committee Review. In here, they discuss what happen in our production line, downtime's, process-related problem. A minutes of the meeting was documented. Each department had an action item to accomplish. These action items are tracked daily and was been continuously followed up by the GM. In my view, this could be part of management review.
Hope this helps. :bigwave:

Vash :cool:

M

M Greenaway

Personally I think there is more to it then looking to see who was at a managment review meeting !

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Auditing support and management processes General Auditing Discussions 7
B Auditing Senior Management to determine the Effectiveness of Management Processes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
L Auditing Top Management - Meeting Competency Requirements and Questions to Ask General Auditing Discussions 11
D Auditing Management Support - ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K Sample Questions for Auditing Management Rep , Internal Audit and Reg. Compliance Internal Auditing 7
Richard Regalado ISO/IEC 27007:2011 (ISMS) Information Security Management Systems Auditing IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 6
Q Auditing Management Review - Who audits the management review process? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M Auditing Test Management Software such as HP Quality Center (HPQC) Test Tool Internal Auditing 1
B Process Approach to Auditing Quality Management System Internal Auditing 12
B I have a question for people working in quality management auditing Career and Occupation Discussions 17
J Auditing the Project Management Office ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
H Quality Management Best Practices for Internal Auditing Internal Auditing 6
A Auditing the Internal Auditors and Management Review Internal Auditing 5
S Auditing - Should Management be Auditing? General Auditing Discussions 19
S Auditing the Top Management during the Opening Meeting of Internal Audit Internal Auditing 21
K Auditing the Internal Vendor (Supplier) Management Process Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
T OHSAS 18001 - Demonstrating and Auditing Management Commitment. Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 9
L Internal Auditing of Integrated Management Systems Internal Auditing 12
W Problem getting help from upper management with our internal auditing program Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
M Auditing Management - Do I need to interview anyone in Executive Management? General Auditing Discussions 6
C List of MDSAP Auditing Organizations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
cscalise Suggestions for MDR Auditing tools EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Auditing of Support Function IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D ISO 13485, FDA 21 CFR 820 and Auditing the Accounting Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Risk based internal auditing Internal Auditing 6
Randy Remote auditing (for disaster, disease, disturbance etc...) during the Neo Coronavirus Pandemic and Social Distancing Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
K ANVISA B-GMP Auditing requirements for Contract Manufacturers Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
F AS9100D Internal auditing requirements Internal Auditing 3
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
G Best Practices for IT auditing - Is a session-id necessary for a complete audit trail? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C CE marking for general IVD (self-certified) & ISO 13485 QMS requirements - auditing EU Medical Device Regulations 6
blackholequasar Internal Auditing Inspiration - Getting volunteers to perform internal audits. Internal Auditing 22
W Internal Auditing carried out by a 3rd party - Review of previous audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
tony s What is the automotive process approach for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Internal Auditing for API Spec Q1 - auditor qualification requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
R I've been auditing for a CB for 18 years General Auditing Discussions 10
P Consultant Auditing Qualifications Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
M We still have not received our certificate due to a 'backlog' with our auditing body Registrars and Notified Bodies 25
N Online Internal Auditing Course for ISO 13485 - Suggestions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A Agenda for 8D audit on Supplier's side - Auditing Corrective Actions General Auditing Discussions 5
U Internal auditing - Company employees or contract second party Internal Auditing 10
J Recomended Values - Auditing process in a supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
M Canada - Registrars that allow e-auditing for ISO 9001? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
K Internal Auditing - Umbrella QMS and Multiple Standards Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
D Auditing Our Outsourced 2nd-3rd Party Internal Audit Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
supadrai Auditing Organization dragging their heels on issuing our MDSAP Surveillance Audit Confirmation Letter - everyone is nervous ... are we the only ones? Canada Medical Device Regulations 7