Auditing the ISO 14001 Environmental Policy Content

E

eureka

I am auditor (trening) for iso 14001.

So question is how to check if Policy is or not "appropriate to the nature, scale and environmental impacts of the organization's activities, products or services,,"
Robert

D

db

eureka said:
I am auditor (trening) for iso 14001.

So question is how to check if Policy is or not "appropriate to the nature, scale and environmental impacts of the organization's activities, products or services,,"
Robert

First of all, Welcome to the Cove, eureka :bigwave:

Good question This is a judgement call. Almost any generic environmental policy will be somewhat appropriate to any organization. About the only time it will come into play is when it is totally unrealistic. For example, if you are a plating company, and your policy says something about you not having any real significant aspects, I would question the appropriateness of the policy.

Hope that helps.

Randy

Super Moderator
If all you say in you policy is "We commit to comply with applicable laws, and other requirements, prevention of pollution and continual improvement" you will have about 90% of what you need. All the other stuff that goes into a policy is gee-whiz, eye-wash.

Doen't get all wrapped around the axel with the policy thing....find another one you like and use it. The thing about the policy is that it is auditable itself. Remeber your policy is the cornerstone or the foundation that the system will be built upon. Think about the policy as being a theory that the system brings into reality.

Do some research here in the Cove...use the SEARCH button, we have ton's of material (including some examples).

I also tried to email you back but it kept returning to me. Welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

E

eureka

Hi all

Does it means that two companies with simmilar activities may have "copy/ paste" identical Policy.
In am not shure (it is different -maybe in QMS but not in EMS.
The primary concern is that the scope of EMS and policy are sufficient
to include the important areas of operation mentioned in Policy that might impact the
environment.
regards from Croatia
Robert

Randy

Super Moderator
For the most part , yes, policies can be identical. The standard (4.2) is highly interpretive as to how an organization can form its policy except for the commitment stuff. I've seen ploicies as short as this response and I've seen policies that could take a day or two to read. Which one is better?

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
eureka said:
Does it means that two companies with simmilar activities may have "copy/ paste" identical Policy.
In am not shure (it is different -maybe in QMS but not in EMS.
The primary concern is that the scope of EMS and policy are sufficient
to include the important areas of operation mentioned in Policy that might impact the environment.
Yes, they could have identical policies, but that's where getting out and talking to the employees can have one organization stand out. Do the employees truly believe in the policy? Do they apply it? Do they understand what it means? Do they understand how their job impacts the environment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom