Auditing the Packing Dept. - What is the Packer Required to Have Available?

A

Andrews

Auditing packing dept.

If the person who packs the products does not have the packing specification and packing procedure.Under what clause of ISO 9001-2000 will it be a non-conformance ?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Can you give more details? I think part of the answer depends on what your internal procedures say. There may be several NC's depending on what you say you will do vs. what you are doing/not doing.

However, depending on the above, some possibilities are 4.1d, 4.2.1d, 4.2.3d, and 7.5.5.

JMO -- others may have more or better insights.

A

Aaron Lupo

Claes Gefvenberg said:

I'd use 7.5.1b.

"the availability of work instructions, as necessary"

/Claes
That is the question you need to ask yourself before you give a N/C, are the work instructions necessary???

Packing instructions

are the work instructions necessary???
If I may, Johnny Bravo, I would also add, are the specifications necessary? As part of my job, I must on occasion mail out information to potential and existing customers. We have no specifications for this, nor are there work instructions. But I am intelligent enough to know what sized envelop to use, and how to insert what information into the envelop.

We must not tie the hands of individuals when they don’t need to be tied. Now, if the customer, or organization has exact specifications, or if the packer needs work instructions, then it is a different matter. As far as what clause I would write against, I’m not convinced we need to get this exactly right. The important thing is to have an effective corrective action. I really don’t care if it is to 7.5.1 b), or to 7.5.5, or even to 6.2.2, just make sure the employees are doing what needs to be done.

I couldn't agree more db... and ISO GUY's comment is entirely correct too. This is a good time to have a look at 4.2.1, note 2:

NOTE 2 The extent of the quality management system documentation can differ from one organization to another due to

a) the size of organization and type of activities,
b) the complexity of processes and their interactions, and
c) the competence of personnel.

On the other hand: Andrews said that there was in fact a packing specification as well as a packing procedure, so I'll assume that those were in fact needed...

/Claes

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I made the same assumption, Claes. But I too agree the questions db and Isoguy brought up are valid. After all, we all know what happens sometimes when we "***-u-me" things!;)

M

M Greenaway

This sort of audit finding is always difficult to address. Claes has given a good clause to hang this on, but really the auditor should assess the necessity of such documents by looking at the effectiveness of the process based on the process output.

If the job routing (or whatever) tells the packer to pack to spec XYZ then what I think you should do in the audit is determine first whether the product was packed to spec XYZ. If not then you have a solid audit finding, root cause of which might be lack of training or indeed unavailability of the specification to the packer.

M

Michael T

Okay - how 'bout if I throw an obscure element at you folks:

Human Resources
6.2.1 Personnel performing work affecting product quality shall be competent on the basis of appropriate education, training, skills and experience.

So... this guy has been appropriately trained, has been packing the product the same way, day-in and day-out, with no change to the product, no change to the package, no change to the packing material, and is performing his job to the customer's satisfaction (evidenced by either a lack of complaints concerning packing {which might be shaky evidence} or by affirmative satisfaction through surveys).

Hence, no procedures are necessary...

Can anyone find the flaw in this?

Cheers!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C List of MDSAP Auditing Organizations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
cscalise Suggestions for MDR Auditing tools EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Auditing of Support Function IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D ISO 13485, FDA 21 CFR 820 and Auditing the Accounting Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Risk based internal auditing Internal Auditing 6
Randy Remote auditing (for disaster, disease, disturbance etc...) during the Neo Coronavirus Pandemic and Social Distancing Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
K ANVISA B-GMP Auditing requirements for Contract Manufacturers Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
F AS9100D Internal auditing requirements Internal Auditing 3
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
G Best Practices for IT auditing - Is a session-id necessary for a complete audit trail? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C CE marking for general IVD (self-certified) & ISO 13485 QMS requirements - auditing EU Medical Device Regulations 6
blackholequasar Internal Auditing Inspiration - Getting volunteers to perform internal audits. Internal Auditing 22
W Internal Auditing carried out by a 3rd party - Review of previous audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
tony s What is the automotive process approach for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Internal Auditing for API Spec Q1 - auditor qualification requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
R I've been auditing for a CB for 18 years General Auditing Discussions 10
P Consultant Auditing Qualifications Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
M We still have not received our certificate due to a 'backlog' with our auditing body Registrars and Notified Bodies 25
N Online Internal Auditing Course for ISO 13485 - Suggestions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A Agenda for 8D audit on Supplier's side - Auditing Corrective Actions General Auditing Discussions 5
U Internal auditing - Company employees or contract second party Internal Auditing 10
J Recomended Values - Auditing process in a supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
M Canada - Registrars that allow e-auditing for ISO 9001? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
K Internal Auditing - Umbrella QMS and Multiple Standards Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
D Auditing Our Outsourced 2nd-3rd Party Internal Audit Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
supadrai Auditing Organization dragging their heels on issuing our MDSAP Surveillance Audit Confirmation Letter - everyone is nervous ... are we the only ones? Canada Medical Device Regulations 7
Ed Panek Supplier Auditing - No purchases from our key suppliers in the last 24 months ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
P Auditing "process validation" process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
qualprod Effective Auditing advice needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
M Acceptance of remote auditing techniques - Can you help me with my research? General Auditing Discussions 0
GStough Auditing Against Criteria Unfamiliar to Auditee - Yea or Nay? General Auditing Discussions 11
qualprod Auditing Product and Services doubts ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Auditing support and management processes General Auditing Discussions 7
F It is acceptable moving remote locations staff to manufacturing plant for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D MSDS / GHS Walk-through / Auditing Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
Pmarszal Supplier Auditing Services (Audit Needed?) General Auditing Discussions 4
S ISO 9001 Audit Observations - Transitioning my career into auditing Career and Occupation Discussions 16
G AS9101 Rev F - Worksheets for internal auditing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
N API Q2 clause 6.2.2.1 Auditing Outsourced Suppliers Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
M Auditing processes followed by employees placed on client's site Internal Auditing 4
S ISO 13485:2016 and MDSAP internal auditing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Auditing a Contractor in EMS and Non Conformity Report General Auditing Discussions 1
Richard Regalado ISMS Auditing Guideline V2 (based from ISO/IEC 27001:2013) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
S ISO 9001:2015 - Internal Auditing - Audit to the Standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Auditing Senior Management to determine the Effectiveness of Management Processes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R Internal Auditor auditing Internal Audit Procedure (AS9100) Internal Auditing 18