Auditing Tier 2 Vendors (Suppliers) - What to look for?

M

Machelleh2

Auditing Vendors

I have recently been put in charge of all our Teir II vendors. My first goal is to update all vendor audits. I have done one and I wasn't sure really what to look for. :confused: There is alot of training for internal auditors, but does anyone know of training that is for just external audits?

Thanks,

Machelle :bigwave:

Randy

Super Moderator
My 1st question is: Are you a trained auditor?

You perform your audit to obtain objective evidence of conforming or complying with whatever the requirements are.

Identify the requirements your Tier ll's have to meet and audit to them.

As for external auditor training....half the people that contribute to this forum provide that (including me).

M

Machelleh2

I am a trained auditor just by observing other auditors. I understand auditing the processes, It's just if they follow that procedure. For the vendor audit, I looked at there process, but I don't know what to look at in addition. Just because they have the procedures, doesn't mean they follow them. I guess I am wondering what else I should be observing to make sure thay are a suitable vendor. :confused:

Thanks,
Machelle

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
What quality system requirements do you have for your suppliers? I agree with Randy. If you haven't defined and communicated these, then it really is tough to audit them. When you do an audit, you are really looking to see that they are meeting the defined requirements and that their quality system has been effectively implemented and maintained.

Auditing internal vs. external is not very different, and there are many training courses available. Most training courses are going to cover the guidance in ISO 19011 (or 10011) as well as whatever quality or environmental system standard you are interested in (9001/14001/16949/AS9100/etc.).

Randy

Super Moderator
Machelleh2 said:
Just because they have the procedures, doesn't mean they follow them. :confused:

Thanks,
Machelle

Then they're WRONG!!!!! DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly don't mean to be critical, but if you don't know what you are doing, or don't know how...tell the powers to be. We can give you little tid bits of info but you have to bring something yourself and just watching others in the past ain't gonna cut it. If this "auditing" you are supposed to be doing is tied to any type of QMS or a registration certificate it is not acceptable because you are not a "trained and competent" auditor based upon you own admission. If you were trained you would know how to develop a checklist, an audit plan, and all the other neat stuff auditors know how to do.

This has DOOM written all over it.

A

Aaron Lupo

Randy said:
Then they're WRONG!!!!! DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly don't mean to be critical, but if you don't know what you are doing, or don't know how...tell the powers to be. We can give you little tid bits of info but you have to bring something yourself and just watching others in the past ain't gonna cut it. If this "auditing" you are supposed to be doing is tied to any type of QMS or a registration certificate it is not acceptable because you are not a "trained and competent" auditor based upon you own admission. If you were trained you would know how to develop a checklist, an audit plan, and all the other neat stuff auditors know how to do.

This has DOOM written all over it.

I was reading this post and started pounding my head on my desk! Not to be mean but it sounds as if she has no clue what she is doing. I agree with Randy you need to let your boss know, maybe they can help you. The other question I have is why are you auditing your suppliers there is no requirement that you have to, you need to evaluate them and that can be done without an audit. Look at your process and see if that needs to be revised. JMHO

R

Randy Stewart

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
I took a course a few years ago that was called "QS-9000 Supplier Auditor" given by AIAG. I don't know if they have updated the course for 9K2K or 16949.
If you are not an auditor you may cause more damage than good. Even "qualified" auditors cause problems with their own personnalized interpretations so be very careful.
I have been working with supplier development now for 4 years and it is a very touchy situation. The negative impact you can have on your company can hit hard. I strongly suggest that you get some training in auditing and on the standard.
You'll see a lot of messages here on good and bad auditors and how people feel about being audited. Auditing is not for everyone and it's not easy. It's not just knowing what the standard or requirements are, it's in how they are applied - spirit of the law not the letter of the law.

E

energy

Can't be done

Machelleh2 said:
I am a trained auditor just by observing other auditors. I understand auditing the processes, It's just if they follow that procedure. For the vendor audit, I looked at there process, but I don't know what to look at in addition. Just because they have the procedures, doesn't mean they follow them. I guess I am wondering what else I should be observing to make sure thay are a suitable vendor. :confused:
Thanks,
Machelle

Machelle
Your first sentence is where the "flak" is coming from. Nobody can learn Auditing by just watching. It's a thought process you develop by following guidelines and some formalized training.
As for your auditing your Suppliers, if you are receiving the right parts, quantities and their price is right, chances are that they meet the requirements. They have probably been around doing business before you became a "trained" Auditor. Send them a questionaire, let Purchasing discuss any issues and get on with some Training for performing Quality Audits. I'm talking strictly from an ISO viewpoint because I'm not aware of the extra requirements imposed by Automobile Manufacturers. Somehow, I think it can be made as difficult or as simple as you want. :agree: :smokin:

M

Machelleh2

I just wanted to start off saying that you guys have made me feel really stupid. :( I have asked to go to a auditor training class, work won't let me. They say that I won't learn anything there that they haven't shown me. The problem with that is they really haven't shown me much. As far as the audits, we are ISO 9002:1994. We have an approved vendor list that needs to be updated. Most of the audits are going out thru mail. But the ones we deal with the most, my bosses want me to visit them and get to know the people there. :ko:

Top Bottom