Auditor Requirements - AS9100 Vendor (Supplier) Audits

G

GaryBC

Hi guys

Is it a laid-down requirement of AS9100 that, to carry out a supplier audit, the auditor has to be externally accredited as a Lead Auditor?

The guy in my team that’s down to be doing our supplier audit programme has no such qualifications and I’m getting push-back from my senior management to send him on a course costing around a thousand GBP!

I’ve always understood formal qualifications to be a requirement – but “I’ve always understood” doesn’t quite cut it!

Cheers,
Gaz

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Auditor requirements - AS9100 vendor audits

Hi guys

Is it a laid-down requirement of AS9100 that, to carry out a supplier audit, the auditor has to be externally accredited as a Lead Auditor?

The guy in my team that’s down to be doing our supplier audit programme has no such qualifications and I’m getting push-back from my senior management to send him on a course costing around a thousand GBP!

I’ve always understood formal qualifications to be a requirement – but “I’ve always understood” doesn’t quite cut it!

Cheers,
Gaz
Gaz - it's important that the person is competent to do supplier audits. That doesn't necessarily mean being a Lead Auditor, so you define what their competencies are, and if the guy comes up short, then you have a reason to send him to some kind of class! Be careful though, if management don't want to spend the money, they may not agree that he must possess those competencies. Depends what they perceive to be the value from the supplier audits. Been there, done that...:notme:

G

GaryBC

Re: Auditor requirements - AS9100 vendor audits

Thanks Andy. Funny how anecdotes, rumour and innuendo can become 'fact' if left unchallenged long enough, eh!

"Custom & Practice" it used to be called! lol!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A AATT Aerospace Auditor Requirements for an AS9100 Registrar AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
A Need Clarity on AS9100 Lead Auditor Certification Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 19
R AS9100 Internal Auditor Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
A Completing RABQSA AS9100 AIEA Auditor Certification Requirements - how to get audits? Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
B AS9100 Lead Auditor Requirements General Auditing Discussions 24
N AS9100 Internal Auditor Requirements vs. TS16949 Internal Auditor Requirements Internal Auditing 8
Randy AS9100 Auditor Certification Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
Ed Panek Auditor driving us nuts - ESD requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 23
S AIAG CQI Auditor Qualification and 3rd Party Certification Requirements General Auditing Discussions 2
J Manufacturing Process Auditor Requirements - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S Internal Auditing for API Spec Q1 - auditor qualification requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
Q Internal Auditor Training requirements for ISO 14001:2015 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
J IATF 16949 CAR - Internal Auditor Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
Q AS 9100D internal auditor training requirements Internal Auditing 16
D IATF 16949 - Internal Auditor Training/Certification Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
K IATF 16949 Line and Dock Auditor Competency Requirements Internal Auditing 4
C IATF 16949:2016 Cl. 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 39
P Problem with IATF 16949 Clause 7.2.3 Requirements (Internal Auditor Competency) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M ISO 13485 Audit Questions - Internal Auditor Training and other Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D What are the requirements of a Auditor for a Certification Body ? Career and Occupation Discussions 11
D Training Material for Internal Auditor Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
F Internal Audit quiz - Auditor Qualifications and Requirements Internal Auditing 34
S TS 16949:2009 Specific Internal Auditor Training Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
T AS9104/3 - New requirements for Auditor Certifications and Recertifications AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
Q Requirements and suggestions for ISO/TS 16949 Internal Auditor Preparation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Auditor transition requirements for ISO 9001:2008 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 7
F VDA 6.3 Level C Certificate Requirements for External Auditor VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 3
R ISO 14001 Internal Auditor Training Requirements ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
L ISO 13485 Lead Auditor Re-Training Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T Requirements to become an ISO 9001 Lead Auditor Internal Auditing 8
G AS9100C Internal Auditor Eligibility Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
C Clarification On Internal Auditor Requirements - Please help Internal Auditing 10
D Auditor Requirement to 'Map' TS 16949 Requirements against our QMS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 27
A Training Requirements for ISO 17025 Internal Auditor ISO 17025 related Discussions 19
M Medical Device Auditor - Training and other Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Canada Importer Record Retention Requirements - Disagreement with NB auditor Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
E International Railway Industry Standard (IRIS) Auditor Training Requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 13
P ISO 17021 - Auditor Assignments and Requirements Registrars and Notified Bodies 26
J Internal Quality Auditor Minimum Requirements Internal Auditing 48
D Internal Auditor Credentials and Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
S What Statutory & Regulatory Requirements can an ISO 9001 internal auditor audit Internal Auditing 15
T TS 16949:2009 Lead Auditor Training Requirements General Auditing Discussions 3
D ISO 9001 Qualified Auditor and Internal TS Auditor Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 61
R Certified Lead Auditor Requirements Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
A EN/AS 9100 - Subcontractor audit and auditor requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
L TS 16949 Internal Auditor Training Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
W Would taking the 14001 Lead Auditor Class & passing, meet the requirements TS16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R Notified Body auditor requirements Career and Occupation Discussions 5
O RABQSA and IRCA Lead Auditor Requirements ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 27
Manix TS16949 Training Requirements - Basic introduction to the standard vs. Lead Auditor Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8