Auditor says a Minor Nonconformance will become a Major Nonconformance

Hi All, Hope you are well.
It seems I only post here when I have a problem,:eek:
We have just been re-audited by our certification body. On his last visit he raised a Minor NC on a Design review process, This was 80% completed for this audit and we expected him to leave it open and assess it next time. (various substantial reasons were given as to why it had not been fully completed). Instead he stated in the report that this will be raised to a Major NC if not completed by his next visit (nothing was said during the audit itself). The NC will be completed for the next audit but this statement has senior management asking all sort of questions as to the why this statement has been put on record.
Should this have been put on record and is it right to turn a Minor into a major when there is clear evidence that the process is being addressed??
thanks for any help..
Shaun

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
We have just been re-audited by our certification body. On his last visit he raised a Minor NC on a Design review process, This was 80% completed for this audit and we expected him to leave it open and assess it next time. (various substantial reasons were given as to why it had not been fully completed). Instead he stated in the report that this will be raised to a Major NC if not completed by his next visit (nothing was said during the audit itself). The NC will be completed for the next audit but this statement has senior management asking all sort of questions as to the why this statement has been put on record.
Should this have been put on record and is it right to turn a Minor into a major when there is clear evidence that the process is being addressed??
thanks for any help..
Shaun
Shaun,

Your auditor should have explained this face to face instead of sneaking the escalation rule or decision into the report.

The auditor may have serious concerns regarding the lack of management commitment to bringing design review into your management system.

Asking for this forecast/threat to be removed from the report will deepen concerns about another delay in corrective action.

Instead, ask that all findings to be reported are discussed during the audit before they are reported.

John

Not entirely unusual, and you are welcome. :D Anyway, as you evidently feel certain that the issue will be resolved in time for next audit the escalation will not happen, but as John says your auditor should have told you about this during the audit. As for the managers, I suppose you'd better explain to them that raising unaddressed minors to majors is standard practice.

/Claes

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
thanks for any help..
Shaun
It is very difficult to understand the dynamics of the audit from the verbiage of the post.
However I think it depends upon the rules of the registrar body that you should know and signed off. Your mgmt is responsible for this because you as organization have selected the registrar. Probably the auditor wanted to stress the concept that the non conformity appeared to be faced with some delay, even though you gave some considerations for this. Probably , the words of the auditor will raise the attention for this issue by means of additional effort of your mgmt to close definitively. I would like to advice you to make follow up internal audit for this issue and include in your internal audit programme increasing the frequency of the audit for the audited process.Hope this helps:bigwave:

Last edited:

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
thanks for any help..
Shaun
As I read it I can see three audit cycles you mention (Just been re-audited; last visit; next time)
You are talking about a design review process minor NC last visit cycle, and a repeat in just been re-audited cycle.
You stand in good hands of the auditor who has warned you that in case an other design review process NC is noted in next visit, this will be a major, in writing.
The design process example reviewed in the audit can be at any stage of completion. However it is expected that reviews are effectively conducted up to that stage and records of review evidenced.

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
It's total HorseFritters :horse: "if" you have evidence that it is being worked on. I have had clients with NC's that have taken a year or 2 to clear because of business issues (not everyone has a couple hundred thousand $'s on hand to fix a problem)

As long as "progress" is demonstrated and the NC is hasn't been slid under the rug to be forgotten there is no big deal

There are ton's of knuckleheads that fail to understand or accept that Corrective Action is a time based process

Now, on the other hand, "if" the evidence show that any actions are actually "sunshine or smoke" being pumped up the auditors fanny then elevation to a more serious level is a common practice, we in fact as a matter of procedure are required to state this fact when issuing NC's, and at opening & closing meetings. So what you'd wind up with would be a Major and probably another NC for an ineffective CA process (I've done it)

B

Bill Pflanz

I don't see how a minor nonconformance can be escalated to a major. Either it is a major or not from the very beginning. Now I have issued a major nonconformance in an internal audit because minor nonconformances were not being reviewed and closed out. The major nonconformances was related to a lack of management review not an escalation of the minors.

The only reason that I took this step was that I could not get the plant manager to understand the importance of management review. The vice president totally backed me when I reviewed the problem with him and authorized the issuance of the major. After that nonconformance I never had another problem again with the plant manager. Sometimes you have to play hardball.

Bill Pflanz

Big Jim

Trusted Information Resource
I know that some CBs expect unresolved minors to be escalated to majors. I wonder if they are driven by the ABs or by some requirement in 17021. Does anyone here have some insight on the topic?

I know that some CBs expect unresolved minors to be escalated to majors. I wonder if they are driven by the ABs or by some requirement in 17021. Does anyone here have some insight on the topic?
Yes, it is Jim. I've been in the same room when the AB told the CB that the practice of allowing lengthy resolutions to minors is inexcusable and that escalation is expected. In some ways, I'd agree, frankly - or the thing was written or graded wrongly in the first place! This isn't something new, btw. Ever since I was a CB auditor it has been that way (but then, we know all CBs don't encourage/communicate with their auditors effectively, about such issues...)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Auditor says 5.6.3 should be discussed in Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 62
G Dangerous Act - Auditor says major nonconformance for safety (risk) issue Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 21
E FMEA Action Plan Threshold (RPN) - Auditor says Action Plan for an RPN > 84 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
tony s Auditor says our Quality Manual is deficient. What can you say? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 58
B Medical Device Directive 93/42 EEC - Clinical Trials - Because the auditor says so? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
Gun46 ISO 9001 : 2015 Lead Auditor Exam General Auditing Discussions 5
K %GRR was between 10-30% so we have to have a "backup plan" per auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
R ISO 45001 Lead Auditor Exam paper Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
B Internal and external auditor competency to CSR's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
A Our auditor told if we didn't have a patent we would have to do a validation or verification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
W Certification for IATF Lead Auditor will expire in 2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D Impartiality of Internal Auditor ISO 9001/13485 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
Ed Panek Auditor driving us nuts - ESD requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 23
A OHSAS 18001 external auditor finding personal interpretation? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
S IRCA Lead Auditor training and Exam tips Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
L Cba biomedical auditor - cba primer material is enough to study? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B VDA 6.3 Qualification as Process Auditor training course and exam VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
F ISO 21001 Educational Organizations Management - How to become an auditor Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
J Getting training either from ASQ or from SAI Global - ISO 9001 Lead Auditor training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
P ASQ Certified Biomedical Auditor (CBA) Certification Preparation 2019 ASQ - American Society for Quality 3
M Medical Device Design Control Auditor Recommentations General Auditing Discussions 19
G Third party auditor mentions no grace period for calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 22
D Where (in US) can I get the VDA Auditor Edition book? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 3
S AIAG CQI Auditor Qualification and 3rd Party Certification Requirements General Auditing Discussions 2
M IATF 16949 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency - Trainer's competency Internal Auditing 7
C Recommendations for UK-based ISO 13485 internal auditor training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News July 2019 AAQG/RMC CB Auditor Workshop - Presentation Materials AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
D Scope of Facility - Our auditor asked us last week for our "Scope of the Facility" AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
A ISO 9001 lead auditor as Full time career India Career and Occupation Discussions 2
J Manufacturing Process Auditor Requirements - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
GreatNate ISO 9001:2015 Lead Auditor Course? (who to take with) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
A External Auditor issue with Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
QAQT Internal Auditor competence for ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 11
S IATF 16949: Is "Certified" Internal Auditor mandatory? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S Internal Auditing for API Spec Q1 - auditor qualification requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
J Your opinion on the better training org for IATF16949 Internal auditor and Lead Auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Turtle diagram or process interaction chart - Making it easier for an auditor Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 19
C TL-9000 Certifying Body Issue - Auditor failed to find an issue for 10 years TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 16
C Advice on becoming a AS9100 Auditor - Need to audit organizations that are Design Responsible AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
Q Audit 1 week away and no agenda from auditor yet IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
S ISO9001:2015 Clause 9.1 - What the external auditor will look at? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
J Training documentation - ISO 13485 audit and the auditor had questions General Auditing Discussions 7
G Auditor watching tech do procedure - Can tech ask questions? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
D AEA (Aerospace Experience Auditor) Challenges - Finding availability of AEA for witness AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
Q Internal Auditor Training requirements for ISO 14001:2015 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
S ISO9001:2015 6.3 - Planning of Changes - OFI from auditor ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
G From an ISO 17025 auditor perspective must micrometer calibration check anvil flatness? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Risk Approach doesn't address External Issues (Auditor's Comment) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
A Environmental Management System Lead Auditor Competence ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2