Auditor suggested company find a higher purpose for Internal Audits

A

alehman

The small (20+) company I work for just received a recommendation for certification. In the auditor's report, he stated that we consider expanding the role of the Internal Audit process and that simply completing audits to a schedule implies that there is no higher purpose. My question is: what would be a higher purpose for the internal audit other than checking the processes against the Quality Manual and the ISO 9001:2008 standards? Does anyone have suggestions as to how we could meet this auditor's suggestion? He made it clear that suggestions should be implemented if at all possible.

Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

BadgerMan

what would be a higher purpose for the internal audit other than checking the processes against the Quality Manual and the ISO 9001:2008 standards?
To determine if the QMS processes are implemented and effective.

A

alehman

:thanx:

Thanks for your response. It was also my first response, and that is what we are doing. We are a research and development/engineering company that has a small manufacturing component. We don't have the ability to use any of his suggestions such as Lean Manufacturing or 5S. I am not sure how to make the audits more than they are right now which is to make sure that we are doing what we say we do.

D

Duke Okes

Thanks for your response. It was also my first response, and that is what we are doing. We are a research and development/engineering company that has a small manufacturing component. We don't have the ability to use any of his suggestions such as Lean Manufacturing or 5S. I am not sure how to make the audits more than they are right now which is to make sure that we are doing what we say we do.
Doing what you say you do is compliance focused. Seeing whether or not the system is delivering what you'd hoped for (e.g., organizational objectives) is performance focused.

In addition you could consider audits as part of your risk management process, looking for things which aren't required but might be useful.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions

In the early stages of the life cycle of a QMS I think that auditing for conformance is the right thing to do. Make sure that the system satisfies the standard and that it is being worked to.

However, in a little while, you will find that the usefulness of these audits diminishes and so it is time to move on to looking for improvements - effectiveness, efficiency are 2 of the main things to look at and where can you reduce bureaucracy or simplify processes?

The challenge of any internal audit programme is to get past simple 'do we follow process/procedures'. Sadly, that is what is mainly taught in many auditor course, written in audit books etc. As has been posted by the previous contributors, it's all about effectiveness. That comes from careful scheduling and planning for each audit - so that the focus of the audit is based on risk and looks at the mitigation of risk that the QMS contributes. This is NOT taught in most courses...

As Colin says, initially, there's a place for compliance only audits, but soon after, the game must be upped. Try sitting down with your management and look at what risks could be affecting - planned changes, new things etc. - the implementation of the QMS. Then go and audit that.

BTW - the auditor was doing you a bit of a favor which is nice to read about...

Last edited:

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

You could also assess to highlight the points of strength of the organization as well . This is important for the continuos improvement process.:bigwave:

A

alehman

Thank you for all the help. And yes, the auditor was very helpful and gave us the benefit of the doubt on many issues. There was at least one that he told us could have been a non-conformance but he could see we were dedicated to the process and would follow his recommendations. We have already implemented many of the changes he suggested. The entire ISO process has already had a visible improvement on our small company so we are looking to continue that anyway we can.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C AS9100 and ISO 9001 - Dual Certifications Suggested at AS9100 Internal Auditor class AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
K Gage R&R Records - Should we keep data longer as 'suggested' by our TS Auditor? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Customer Specifics Matrix suggested by TS 16949 Auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
A Statistical methods for setup verifications - One of the OFIs the auditor suggested IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
M IT security subjects - Auditor suggested we implement BS 7799 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
C VDA 6.3 Auditor Expiration - Grace Period? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B Auditor from other country ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
Crusader ASQ AS9100 Lead Auditor Training Career and Occupation Discussions 27
J New QMS Auditor - seeking opportunities to gain audit experience Career and Occupation Discussions 3
A " I, as a 3rd party auditor, retain the obligation to determine whether or not the process is "effective"... Discuss. Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
X Looking for 17025 auditor to perform internal audit on IT software testing laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
B Internal Auditor Competence for Automotive CSR's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Ed Panek Auditor Comment about MDR vs MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 10
K 3rd party auditor for ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K AS9100 - Looking for advice on how to become a CB Auditor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Ed Panek Question from 13485 Auditor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Rude Customer Auditor General Auditing Discussions 18
G Medical Device Auditor (CMDA) certification exam by ASQ - looking for input Career and Occupation Discussions 3
Sidney Vianna IAQG News New IAQG Resources - AS9104-3 Requirements for Aerospace Auditor Competency & Training Courses AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D Internal auditor competence assessment Internal Auditing 13
Robert Stanley Can You Reject an Auditor? Registrars and Notified Bodies 48
Sidney Vianna Job Opening in the USA - IATF 16949 Lead Auditor Position Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
R Lead auditor scenario (Need help) is this non conforming to ISO13485 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
P Looking to outsource Internal Audit - MDSAP competent auditor needed Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9
S Transition training for Internal Auditor from ISO 9001: 2008 to the ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J IATF CB Auditor questions Internal Auditor Competence IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
Sidney Vianna Food & Beverage Safety Lead Auditor Open Position - USA Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
M Best accreditation body for AS9100D Lead facility auditor? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Ed Panek Auditor MDR (Presub audit) finding EU Medical Device Regulations 2
I Freelance VDA6.3 Auditor at TURKEY VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
M VDA 6.3 – Workshop for Certified Process Auditor VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
R CB/Auditor Requiring a change in scope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J IATF 16949 Internal Audit question - Auditor's responsibility Internal Auditing 6
W Redacting Info Before Giving to Auditor ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T Quality auditor legal right to see Board meeting minutes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
V Certified Auditor - Need of additional certification specific to industry ( GMPs) ASQ vs ECA vs others Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
V Internal Auditor Competency KPI IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
R American Petroleum Institute - Becoming an API Auditor Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
B Lowest cost way to pass Lead Auditor exam ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Internal Auditor Competency - Product Auditors Internal Auditing 9
U Internal Auditor not trained but done Audit for some process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
Z Auditor Findings ISO 14001:2015 vs. 45001:2015 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
B IATF16949 audit requirement - Auditor request UCL and LCL must be show Xbar-R, IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Becoming an ISO27001 3rd Party Auditor Career and Occupation Discussions 4
L ASQ's Biomedical Auditor Course Test ASQ - American Society for Quality 1
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
G Same parts but new customer - What will the auditor ask me? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Gun46 ISO 9001 : 2015 Lead Auditor Exam General Auditing Discussions 16
K %GRR was between 10-30% so we have to have a "backup plan" per auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15